Emines vs fighters in dogfight

Frankvas

Mongoose
What happens if an e-mine hits a group of fighters that are involved in a dog fight? What if only the enemy fighters are in the 3" blast radius?

Frank V.

Realy?

e-mines are the accuratest Weapons in acta, like a very sharp knife.

e-mines can do what other weapons in acta can´t do.

Can´t belive this! :shock:

CU

I think if someone were to start abusing this, I would institute a House Rule on it. Because I very much agree with you.

I always thought of a dogfight as representing a swirling mass of fighters, hence the rules for deviding fire between antagonists. I'd be tempted to play it that all stands involved in the dogfight have to test to see if they were caught in the blast, then those caught have the attack dice rolled against them. Since the template isn't covering the whole dogfight, and said dogfight isn't a static collection of fighters, but a highly dynamic action, this houserule seems to fit the bill.

Folks are saying that you need a house rule to cover situations where e-mines are hitting one flight in a dogfight rather than both. Why? Because it doesn't make sense that you can 'clip' a dogfight with a giant explosion but not with a highly accurate precise weapon.

No one is arguing what the rule is (touched base gets attacked), just saying it goes against all the logic established elsewhere in the rules (and the real world too!).

Ripple

Ripple said:
Folks are saying that you need a house rule to cover situations where e-mines are hitting one flight in a dogfight rather than both. Why? Because it doesn't make sense that you can 'clip' a dogfight with a giant explosion but not with a highly accurate precise weapon.

No one is arguing what the rule is (touched base gets attacked), just saying it goes against all the logic established elsewhere in the rules (and the real world too!).

Ripple

Well, if one base is touching another, I'd say that it was involved in the blast as well.

well you cannot shoot at fighters that are in or have been in a dogfight. E-mines overcome this as you are not shooting at them :D
if they still in a dogfight i would say hit both sides though as its supposed to be a swirling mess of action, not stationary.

Can you use emines against dogfight at all? I know that you are targeting a point in space not the dogfight, but the weapon affects the dogfight so it should be count as shooting into dogfight which is prohibited...

A similar question - can you shoot with emines at your own ships? (Or rather near them) I desighed the strategy in case I got gaim ally for my dragh fleet. With GEG making even raiders almost immune to 2AD emines it would be a wonderful antifighters solution. However if we would allow this then we would have to allow shooting at your own ships in any situation - some Narn players could for example use their powerful e-mines to target their Sho'Kovs to make them explode near enemy ships...

well matt allowed me to shoot e-mines at a ship that had been surrounded by dogfights and therefore hitting all those fighters.

David said:
Taran said:
which would be a house rule

ooooooooor simply an interpretation of existing rules 0;)
In this case the rules as written are quite clear, but not necessarily "realistic" with respect to hitting only one side's fighters when dogfighting.

jimmor said:
Can you use emines against dogfight at all? I know that you are targeting a point in space not the dogfight, but the weapon affects the dogfight so it should be count as shooting into dogfight which is prohibited...

A similar question - can you shoot with emines at your own ships? (Or rather near them) I desighed the strategy in case I got gaim ally for my dragh fleet. With GEG making even raiders almost immune to 2AD emines it would be a wonderful antifighters solution. However if we would allow this then we would have to allow shooting at your own ships in any situation - some Narn players could for example use their powerful e-mines to target their Sho'Kovs to make them explode near enemy ships...
Officially yes you can. For the same reason you can hit a dogfight. You are not targeting your ships with the emine, (Targeting your own ship is illegal) you are attacking every ship within the emines blast area (which oddly enough its not against the rules to attack your ships as long as you are not targeting them). A funny little loophole due to the wording but none the less legal. Though I doubt you will find many Narn Admirals doing that as they can just as easily rip their own ships apart now. The Gaim and to a limited extent the pak'ma'ra could do it fairly easily though.

Back