Dredd Videogame

The Warlord

Mongoose
I asked this on a few other boards, but I hear there's an Xbox Dredd game in Europe. Is it good, and anyone know how to mod a US Xbox to play European games?

I don't believe we ever got it stateside. I recall talks about it coming over, but not sure if it did.

Can anyone confirm this?

(Edit: Amazon now has it listed for release at the end of Nov, but I can't seem to verify)

I 'm almost sure I saw it on the shelves of video rental shop here in Canada, but I may have had an hallucination. It sure happened before.

But I managed to try the PC version and the game seemed pretty weak, with aged graphics and poor controls. It was really not something to write home about, even if you're crazy about the source material.

If you're into PC gaming, I recommend instead playing City of Heroes, a MMORPG where there is a dedicated server for Judge Dredd fans. I know that Arabin, who'll surely give you more details here when he'll see this thread, plays a judge and loves it.

Okay, here is what I know :)

The game, Judge Dredd vs. Death was released in Europe and was due for release in the US. I believe the sales were so poor in Europe (went to budget really quickly) that they scrapped the US launch. If you look on ebgames.com and search for "judge dredd" you will see that it now has a US launch date of 11/23/2004. I don't know if it'll actually be launched then as this date has continuously slipped for over a year now. So, it seems there is a chance it'll get released in the US after all, but I wouldn't count on it.

I purchased the PC copy on ebay, and although I liked the way they portrayed the Big Meg, the game is very dated already, and isn't nearly as good as I had hoped. They have loads of mini games that you unlock in the single player game, but they are all the same and become boring very quickly. I had a lot of fun playing the single player game, but you have to play it very differently from other fps games. The thing you have to remember is that you are not out to kill everyone, you are out to arrest the perps. Since almost everyone can be arrested for something, you need to carefully shoot their hand holding their pistol so they drop their weapon and you can arrest them. You can run through the game killing everything and everyone, but you will not have much fun.

Now, City of Heroes is an different matter all together. I run a supergroup (guild) based on Judge Dredd, and although we have lost a lot (most) of our members recently to World of Warcraft, we have had a great time, and I will continue to play. If you play the game already, hop over to the Justice server and look for Judge Arabin. Alternatively, join the discussions on the group forum:

http://www.dplkelly.com/judgedredd

I hope to see you there.

Arabin

Unfortunately, I'm not that big on PC gaming. I prefer to kick back with my feet up while I play videogames. :wink:

(though I've heard great things about City of Heroes)

I ask all this about the Dredd game 'cause I see that same company is putting out a Rogue Trooper one. Now THAT is the game I'm really fishing for here. I figure if Dredd makes it over, it'll increase the odds of Rogue, Gunner, Helm, and Bagman gracing my telly. :D

I will be picking up Rogue Trooper as well, but I fall into the category as primarily a PC Gamer, though I do have a PS2 and an Xbox. First Person Shooters have to be on the PC for me as I don't like the controls on consoles. That's probably the main reason I'm not caught up in the hype over Halo 2... but I will be snapping up Halflife 2 on release.

Getting back to the Dredd game, it's definitely worth trying and you should be able to pick it up cheaply on ebay. I believe you can purchase a CD that you pop in your XBox when you turn it on, and then select the region... that way you can play games from anywhere. I think it's something you get on ebay, but I haven't got it myself so I'm not too sure.

The biggest problem I had with the Dredd game was the characters. The textures and animation were really quite poor, but they are still the best we've had so far for Dredd. I have high hopes for a better game in the future, though to be honest, since this one flopped in sales, I don't know if they will bother...

Arabin

I hear Dredd has a few multiplayer modes. Can they salvage the game? Bustin' perps with a buddy seems like it could be fun. Then again if the gameplay is poor...

I'm gonna have to look for that Cd. Maybe it's a gameshark or something.

Well, I hope Rogue Trooper ends up better than Dredd. So far, the picts look promising.

I can't remember the name of the CD, but a friend was telling me about it.

I haven't played multiplayer Dredd, but I still think the game was worth the money I spent. It's not Halflife 2, but it's a fun romp through Mega-City One. It would be nice one day if we have a Mega-City MMORPG...

I think Rogue Trooper will be good, my biggest concern is as you said before, whether it'll actually be released in the US, or if I'll have to go through a great deal of trouble to get a copy.

Arabin

The story mode of the game is not bad at all, but it is really really short; maybe 15 hours. The only arcade mode game I like is the block war.

I got bored of City of Heroes after about one week. Was essentially the same mission over and over and over and over and over and over. I got so bored by it, I forgot about it entirely and paid for two more months before I remembered to cancel my account.

Considering the JD RPG, I don't see why Rebellion doesn't try a crpg. Better yet, something along the lines of Neverwinter Nights. A MMORPG would be pretty great too. The FPS genre... I've just gotten tired of it, I suspect.

Heron said:
Hey Arabin - I'd consider joining your COH guild - but only if you knock up a Cadet skin for me :)

Unfortunately, the character creation tool isn't all encompassing, and although it is amazing, it was a challenge to get the costumes right for Street, Psi, and Med-Squad. A cadet would just be a med-squad judge uniform with the shield instead of the cross.

Anonymous said:
I got bored of City of Heroes after about one week. Was essentially the same mission over and over and over and over and over and over. I got so bored by it, I forgot about it entirely and paid for two more months before I remembered to cancel my account.

Considering the JD RPG, I don't see why Rebellion doesn't try a crpg. Better yet, something along the lines of Neverwinter Nights. A MMORPG would be pretty great too. The FPS genre... I've just gotten tired of it, I suspect.

I can understand the boredom that a lot of people experienced with CoH, but really, it's the same with any game, you just have to look deeper. In any MMO, it'll only be mission like:
1) Go to this location.
2) Kill this person or these people.
3) Take this item to this person.
etc.

They all get old unless you get into the story. I remember the joy at flying through the air between the city blocks for the first time. It was really cool.

I do agree though, that Rebellion (in conjuction with Mongoose of course) should work on a JDRPG computer game. Something like NWN would be great, with cutomization support a must.

Arabin

Speaking of the NWN team, I'd love to see a Judge Dredd, or Shadowrun, game similar to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. That game is killer!

Imagine diggin' up clues on perps in the underbelly of MC-1, and all the dialogue options that would be available!

No, KotOR on the PC did not came with an editor, and I don't think KotOR II will, as Georges Lucas generally dislike his creation being fiddled with.

Yeah, and if anyone attempts it, he stamps down hard on them. Besides, as much as I would love to try this, I am pretty sure Rebellion would not give permission to create a mod like that.

Perhaps if we can get enough interest generated, we can take it to Rebellion and request that they work on such a game...

Arabin

That's not a complete impossibility. After all, Capture the Flag was a fan made mod of Quake I and became integral to Quake II and just about every first person shooter released since then.

Best bet would probably be to either do a mod for NWN or wait for NWN 2. It would require an enourmous amount of work as models would need to be made, enviornment, vehicles and last but not least, all the rules. Doable... but requiring enough time and talent that a full sized commercial game would probably cost.

Since Bioware offers modules for sale.... Rebellion *could* either make a mod for sale or allow somebody else to do it.

Played JDvsJD using bots in multiplayer mode. I have not seen bots this poorly done since Quake. That's Quake from 1996. Rebellion's bots are as bad as bots from EIGHT YEARS AGO. They can shoot through walls. They can run, zigzagging, hitting you with every shot of a full auto weapon. And that is on EASY!!!!! Utterly pitiful.

How did the guys that brought the world the terrifying goodness of Aliens vs Predator make such enormous blunders....

Back