Dredd old and New

BigSteveUK

Mongoose
Hi Gents,

I have picked up Slaughter Margin and Judgement Day and intend to convert it to D20.

I was wondering if anyone has either played or run these scenarios and which was better or any issues?

Cheers,

Steve

BigSteveUK said:
Hi Gents,

I have picked up Slaughter Margin and Judgement Day and intend to convert it to D20.

I was wondering if anyone has either played or run these scenarios and which was better or any issues?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,
I really liked Judgement Day over Slaughter Margin, and of the two it is in my opinion the better adventure. There are a few old adventures in White Dwarf that are great such as Marcus Rowlands 'To live and die in Mega-City One', which is the best written for the old GW system.

Hope this helps,
Marc

Good to hear from you again Steve.

I also have both of those supplements and would like to convert them oneday. From flicking through them, I agree with Marc that Judgement Day looks to be the best of the two, but I think both are workable and have the potential to be much better than FED. My players enjoyed playing the rpg, but really didn't like FED for various reasons... mainly because the crime itself didn't make much sense and they felt that Dredd kept bailing them out (once during a car chase when one player would have died, and the other time at the very end of the module).

If you do convert them, please be sure to both let us know how you get on, and share any conversions. I keep picking up additional hobbies and projects so I'm rapidly running out of spare time to work on things like this.

Good luck!

Arabin

The published adventure from the old GW days my players enjoyed the most was Slaughter Margin. It may have been because of the floorplans that came with it, which made it nice and visual. I have converted several films and books for use in my games, my personal favourite genre for doing tis in Dredd is strightforward modern-day horror, which converts really easily. You just need to make sure the players haven't read or seen the source material ;)

My team of Judges is made up of friends I know well, and I know what they watch and read is different from what I watch and read - Twin Peaks made a great epic campaign once I'd ditched a _lot_ of the subplots, (I even had demon Bob possess one of the characters at the end - with his full cooperation - so he could be a fearful adversary for the rest of the team, many of who had become too powerful over the course of a few yeas regular playing - he killed one Judge whos stats were almost maxed out and who was becomming a real annoyance) and the movie Se7en I used almost scene-for-scene - this needed one of the players to agree to have a secret lover for the sake of the plot and when he went crazy at the end it made for a very memoable gaming session)

My next big project (after we have finished The Awakening - about 2 progs to go) I think is going to be based on Carnivale, but I may well run the current 2000ad storyline (Total War setting off nukes in the City) in the background as it is so important (did this during the Necropolis era, too)

toni

I am just waiting on Total War finishing in tooth then I can add it to the list of articles I plan on writing for Signs and Portents. Currently its turning out to be an amazing story, but following the events of this week, I can foresee the end to be something of an anti-climax, I really do hope it isn't.

Marc

I get 2000AD in the US but we are a few issues behind. I have started reading Total War and it really does look promising, but I also hope it ends with a bang. Epic stories like this shouldn't just fade out.

Great ideas for converting movies Numanti. Sometimes I wish I could be the player and not the GM, as your games sound intriguing.

I haven't run my Dredd game for over a month now as I've been swamped at work and class, but I hope to pick up soon.

Arabin

When Total War started I was worried it was another 'lets kill millions and call it a major plot', where the killing was the important point. as it is, the story is excellent and, if anyone hasn't read it, would make a grear adventure...

i agree total war is a good story but something of an epic for rpging.slaughter margin is simalair if you are lucky enougth to of read a copy of it.the principle is the same although this time im intrighued as to what organisation is behind the terrorist campaign being waged against the beleaguerd megas.

DyN said:
When Total War started I was worried it was another 'lets kill millions and call it a major plot', where the killing was the important point. as it is, the story is excellent and, if anyone hasn't read it, would make a grear adventure...

2000AD appears to have grown out of that phase in Dredd where killing lots = the only thing that mattered.

Hated the breakout from Titan and Sabbat storylines especially. TW was excellent, as was the fun with the Friendz syndicate - good stuff.

Judgement Day is definately better than Slaughter Margin, though Slaughter Margin has lovely floor plans for Gangs of MC-1 stylee action, simply because it was much more Dredd orientated.

However the old GW Dredd RPG has a fantastic level (abiet out of date) of detail on MC-1 culture(s) and life - especially for Players who don't know much Dredd

My group have just played Judgement day again using D20 rules as my regular group has got new players (the sons of one of the older players who are now old enough to join in) - found it to be far too easy for the players to work out, actually, and not very substantial. May well replay Slaughter Margin one of these days.

I have been very busy with my Dredd game website, which I have been using as a gaming aid. It's basically my sector map, citizens, scenario's and other bits and pieces for use in game. I don't want this site to be public, really - just a tool for my games - but if anyone wants a look I can post the url here.

Not wanting to spam, but I have copies of both Slaughter Margin and Judgement Day for sale if anyone is looking for either of these. Reasonable condition.

www.rawgames.co.uk/clearout

i've played Judgement Day with my D20 JD "gang" :)

it worked nicely (i didn't do any great conversion...i invented the stats in game). but you have to adjust the timeline...if you are playing with Hershey as Chief Justice you have to change it from the scenario.

it's a nice plot and me and my players liked it a lot !

"slaughter margin" is unknown to me...so i can't say anything about it.

Back