Dreams of Dragons...

Cleombrotus

Mongoose
I ran with an idea in my campaign where the characters wandered through Ormsgone valley through a thick mist where they encountered very physical remnants of the Dragonkill because Krisa Yor was dreaming of it.

I decided that if Great Dragons were the manifestations of draconic dreams then surely so could other draconic memories manifest themselves in the physical world to a limited degree.

It has been pondered and maybe even even Gregged that True Dragons effectively create their own hero planes (as I understood it) through their dreams.

I have been chasing a way to justify my Third Age characters having some interaction with the Second Age EWF beyond Forang Farosh, and I see getting caught up in a Dragon's Dream as a way of achieving it.

So, my question is, do Blood of Orlanth or Dara Happa Stirs have any True Dragons in them that would be aware of and thus could dream about any of the events contained within? I am looking for episodes of note, particularly to do with the birth of Alakoring or any major events tied to the EWF.

Cleombrotus said:
I ran with an idea in my campaign where the characters wandered through Ormsgone valley through a thick mist where they encountered very physical remnants of the Dragonkill because Krisa Yor was dreaming of it.
So, my question is, do Blood of Orlanth or Dara Happa Stirs have any True Dragons in them that would be aware of and thus could dream about any of the events contained within? I am looking for episodes of note, particularly to do with the birth of Alakoring or any major events tied to the EWF.

The only True Dragon associated with the EWF was Obduran the Flyer. Others might have convinced themselves that they were True Dragons or emanations of True Dragons, but they ultimately proved that they weren't.

Jeff

So further to this, if Obduran was a True Dragon, then in spite of the fact that his body is no longer material, his dreams/memories/hopes/fears could potentially manifest in a manner that could be interated with physically?

Does he feature in any of the published campaigns?

I think this is a question best posed to Greg Stafford on World of Glorantha, but my take on it, having worked on Dara Happa with him (and discussing dragons at length), is that Obduran isn't a True Dragon but a Great Dragon.

True Dragons were created by the Cosmic Dragon; from them came the dragonewts, and Dream Dragons are the dreams of True Dragons.

Great Dragons are what mortals can ascend to being if they reach enlightenment - but they could never become True Dragons because they were originally mortal creatures constrained by time.

But pose the question to Greg; I'm sure he'll answer (and Jeff Richard watches this forum, so he may contribute an answer too - he's done much work on dragons and the Eternal Dragon Ring).

Loz said:
But pose the question to Greg; I'm sure he'll answer (and Jeff Richard watches this forum, so he may contribute an answer too - he's done much work on dragons and the Eternal Dragon Ring).

I think we concluded that Obduran was a True Dragon in human form and did fully transcend Glorantha. He was the only one who did so (other than the Kralorelan Emperors).

Jeff

So Greg says that "YGWV - Some believe that the entire world of Glorantha is their dream".

Good enough for me. So it sounds feasible. Not that I'd want it to be a routine feature of a campaign, but certainly a dramatic and life-changing event.

Back