Dragonute Rune

cjfodel

Mongoose
Would you, the people at Mongoose please post the stats of the Dragonewt, as to make the special ability of that rune playable? It is the only thing that I have fond a problem with the book.

Charles 8)

You are gnna half to wait for the Glorantha book for those.

Juding bny your post, I assume you are unfaimlar with Dragonnetws, so I'll try and give you a short rundown. This is very "quick & dirty" and I've take a few liberties to keep things short.

Basically the are humanoid lizard-men, related to dragons (immmature dragons). They hatch from an egg, but as they advance through life and gain a sort of dragon-enlightment, they reincarnate into more advanced formes. Dragonnews are immortal-a dead dragonewt is reborn back at the nest of his hatching. It is also possible for dragons to "loose the path" and stop advacing and these dragonnewts are not reborn upon death. SOme even mutate into different beings. Eventually, a dragonnewt can even be reborn as a dragon.

One thing about dragonewts is that they are very alien in manners an behavior. Unfathable by humans and probably by the other species on GLorantha too.

THere are fice stages of dragonewt developement- Scout (Crested), Warrior (Beaked), Noble, and Ruler. THere is another optional stage called an inhuman king when a dragonewt refuses to become a dragon, but that is more of a special case.

If you want. I can dig up some more detailed info and some older stats from RQ3. THese stats might not match up with the new stats when they are relased, but they will almost certainly be close enough to work until the GLorantha book comes out.

A character who is reborn as a dragonewt would almost certainly start off as a crested/scout (the lowest run), having just made the step from human (or whatever) to dragonewt on the evolutinary scale.

And what if you are not going to use the Glorantha setting? I would have thought that they would hvelve atleaste put the stats of the monster you turned into in the core book for those of use not using the gloranta setting like me.

Charles

If you're not using the Glorantha setting the best solution is probably to use something else from that setting instead of a Dragonewt. Change the name of the rune plus the effect, and you're set.

I think Dragonewts were originally in the core rules and got removed.

Page 105, in the section on Adventuring Creatures, the third paragraph states that the all rules necessary to roll up a Broo, Dragonewt, Elf or Troll character are in the book.

All the rules except the stats and description for Dragonewts. :D

Don't let anyone find the rune.

If they find the rune, don't let them integrate it.

If they do integrate it, make sure they don't die.

If they do die, tell them the reincarnation takes... some time :twisted:

Roll up a new character in the meantime ;)

The first stage of Dragonewt-hood is pretty weak - stats are roughly the same as those for a Duck. From the player's point of view, it's still better than being dead, I suppose...

King Amenjar said:
The first stage of Dragonewt-hood is pretty weak - stats are roughly the same as those for a Duck. From the player's point of view, it's still better than being dead, I suppose...

I think the idea was for the character to get intergrated into the dragonewt life cycle. It does seem to fit the second age and the EWF.

cjfodel said:
And what if you are not going to use the Glorantha setting? I would have thought that they would hvelve atleaste put the stats of the monster you turned into in the core book for those of use not using the gloranta setting like me.

Charles

You would think that wouldn't you?

As Dragonewts are unique to Glornatha, I suppose the Drangonewt Rune should just be tossed out of the core book.

If you want the stats for Dragonewts from RQ3 I can get them for you. I could probably do a conversion to MRQ if you need that.

For the most part first stage dragonewts are easy to convert. It is the higher stages, with Dragon Magic and special weapons that become more problematic.

cjfodel said:

Charles

They should have just changed it to the Duck rune and have you be reborn as one of them, no wonder they are all so mad.

And I thought they might put the stats for the Dragonewt in the monsters book. I might make up a large dog size dragon-like creature and call it a Dragonewt (actually from a novel I read a Long time ago) that dose not have a breath weapon, but dose fly and is intelligent and have them reincarnate into that. (ALla Alien, when they die, the creature rips itself out of the PC body the only way one is born)

I whish I rember the name of the book I read that the creature was in.

Charles :twisted:

PS would not mind the 3rd ed stats eather

Yup, RQ3 says that they're a GM tool for introducing random violence and general bedlam into the game.

The "Dragonewt's Dream" was my favourite. Referenced in a lot of places, but explicitly stated that nobody had any idea of what it was all about. That pretty much sums up the species.

atgxtg said:
King Amenjar said:

I think the idea was for the character to get intergrated into the dragonewt life cycle. It does seem to fit the second age and the EWF.
Although if you were a player character, you'd have a choice between being removed from play because "normal" dragonewts can only be NPCs, or being stuck at Stage One.

King Amenjar said:
Although if you were a player character, you'd have a choice between being removed from play because "normal" dragonewts can only be NPCs, or being stuck at Stage One.[/quote]

Yeah, I though about that. I wasn't sure if the PC dragonewt:

* can't advance in the life cycle

* can advance but lacks all the abilities to do so

* becomes a real dragonewt, an looses all his human memories

*becomes a real dragonewt and retains his memories

In old RQ PC dragonewts were rare an dalways had lost their rebirth/reincarnation ability, but since MRQ takes place in the Second Age, during the time of the Empire of Wyrm's Friends, when the Dragons taught humans Dragon Magic, I don't know.

Maybe DBC can give us a hint about it being covered in the Glorantha book?

Actually, Dragonewt statistics (all cycles) are covered in the last copy of the RuneQuest Monsters book...so the rune should be fine.

The main Glorantha book covers them as a species very well, but does not include their rules. The Glorantha Second Age book is far better served as a setting guide than a hard-crunch rulebook.

But, since Monsters is going to be helpful (if non indispensible) for nearly all RuneQuest games, the Rune's use should be fine. But, since there are no Professions that begin a character with it at this time, I would just not have any Dragonewt Runes found just yet...

Hope that helps!
Bry

Back