Doubts about rules

Rurik said:
I was going to NOT allow bypassing natural armor, but -80% may be a reasonable work around. You just have to deal with the math when a creature is wearing worn armor over natural armor (Minus 40 to hit and bypass worn armor, but you have to roll 80 under your skill to bypass the natural armor as well).

Even -80% is too little with creatures. A Dragon is +40% to hit with missile weapons due to its SIZ, so even with this amendment a decent Longbowman can cause it a lot of harm with ease. With standard rules you ALWAYS bypass dragon armor with missiles! Not to mention the Mother of Monsters with huge armor that you are at +300% to bypass....

I propose a new idea: to bypass armor you must declare a precise attack at -40%, but even if you connect you do not succeed unless you also rolled at -(AP of toughest armor)*10%, or you rolled a critical. Bastion armor is automatically at -80% even if APs are less than 8. This needs some math, but this way you need a very good fighter to find the weak spot between the dragon scales.

Alternatively, it could be -(total APs)*10% if you want to give natural armor and Protection an advantage.

Trifletraxor said:
If one opponent in the opposed test have a skill above 100%, subtract the skill amount above 100% from both skills before rolling. If both opponents have skills above 100%, halve both skills (as many times as necessary) before rolling. Double failures are rolled again if a winner of the opposed test is necessary.

Like many porposed solution, including the official rules, it offers to very different ways to calculate the numbers you roll against. This means that as with the others, you will get sudden shifts in the odds of success when you transition from using one method to the other.

For example say you have Character A with 120% skill and character B with 99% skill. In your system they actualy roll against 100% and 79% respectively.

If both characters go up only 1% in skill, they are now rolling against 60% and 50% respectively. If you work out the odds, the higher skilled character just become significantly less likely to win the contest.

Any system that actualy uses two different methods to work out the numbers you are rolling against, and does so at a specific threshold, will experience sudden dramatic shifts in the odds at those thresholds. It's pretty much inevitable.That's why I prefer a system that doesn't require any dramatic recalculations at all, and just uses the number there on you're character sheet already (See my web site below).

weasel_fierce said:
Sorcery, as written, is only available in-game. You cant begin play with it.

Which is a really silly idea - you have a magic system with no supporting character professions. Why they didn't include even a sorcerer and apprentice professions in Companion, I don't know.

simonh said:
Trifletraxor said:
If one opponent in the opposed test have a skill above 100%, subtract the skill amount above 100% from both skills before rolling. If both opponents have skills above 100%, halve both skills (as many times as necessary) before rolling. Double failures are rolled again if a winner of the opposed test is necessary.

Like many porposed solution, including the official rules, it offers to very different ways to calculate the numbers you roll against. This means that as with the others, you will get sudden shifts in the odds of success when you transition from using one method to the other.

Exactly. It is a big problem with the percentile system in general because 100% is such a breakpoint. Personally I've been using 3 interlinked mechanics.
One: I use doubles for criticals (and fumbles) not 1/10th skill. So if your skills is 45% then 44 is a critical and 55 is a fumble. (01 in this system counts as a double.)
Two: In opposed rolls (contests) I use degree of success first (crit beats norm, norm beats fail) then lowest roll wins on a tie.
Three: when a skill exceeds 100%, the character gets an additional critical chance if the number you is roll is less than your excess over 100. E.g. If your skill is 125% and you roll 21 then 21 is less than 25 so you've gained a critical. If you roll a double as well (e.g. rolling 22) then you have a Critical-2 which beats a critical.

It has the advantage of scaling fairly gently and I find that once players have used it for a session or two seems to be fairly easy to grasp. It can be hard to get your head around at first but if you're starting with new players then skills over 100 will be fairly rare at first so it can be brought in gradually.

Using doubles for criticals allows me to state that lower is always better.
Using Degree of Success in opposed rolls is more complex but allows finer grading.
Using additional criticals gives a scalar bonus to skills over 100.
Note that if skill is 201% plus then you can get 2 additional criticals as well as a double, 301%+ is 3 additional criticals plus a double and so on.

I've actually been using this system for years in CoC, often with casual players who don't otherwise role-play, and it has worked passably well.[/i]

meh... Why have two different methods though? If you've already got your players doing simple subtraction of their skills when dealing with stuff over 100%, it would seem easier to just use that all the time. It simply becomes a matter of measuring the difference in skills at that point, which is pretty darn easy to do.

The subtraction method is very good. And as long as you use it you won't have any re-rolls. It fails abit at the very high skill points though. The 200% vs. 300%. Might be a silly example, but I do got the impression that some people here play with skills that high. At higher skill levels, halving works better.

Also. I find rolling over and over kinda ridiculous. In an opposed test, you need to determine who succeeded and who failed. More importantly, you're really determining who overcame the other guys skill at the particular task at hand. Simple subtraction of skill over 100 from both skills works great for combat skills (where both can succeed and still get a valid result), but not so great by itself for opposed rolls.

Actually, you don't always need to see who wins the opposed test. "Gargar" want to by 2 greatsword from a merchant, but thinks the price is too high. Influence vs. influence roll. Fail-fail = Gargar won't buy the swords, the merchant won't lower his price. And if you do need a winner, re-roling fail-fail rolls gives the advantage that you know low is always good. Why would you subtract from combat skill over 100% by the way? What's the point of that?

What I do for opposed rolls over 100% is the following. One side rolls. He subtracts the amount he rolled from his skill. This establishes a single number that represents the number of percentiles he made his skill by, which can be extrapolated to be the degree to which he succeeded, right? That value is then applied as a skill minus to the opposed skill (essentially difficulty since it's *harder* to spot someone who is really good at hiding, right?).

Here rolling high on the skill roll is good is some situations, and not in others. And I don't see how it helped with skills over 100%. Say you have 100% vs. 200%. How does this rule work out that?

Yes you get a shift. But here, reaching 100% is a bonus, not a minus. At 100% you have mastered your skill, gaining deeper insights, have a better chance against the big guys.

Exactly. It is a big problem with the percentile system in general because 100% is such a breakpoint. Personally I've been using 3 interlinked mechanics.
One: I use doubles for criticals (and fumbles) not 1/10th skill. So if your skills is 45% then 44 is a critical and 55 is a fumble. (01 in this system counts as a double.)

Huh? I didn't get that.

Two: In opposed rolls (contests) I use degree of success first (crit beats norm, norm beats fail) then lowest roll wins on a tie.

I'm using that too of course! Doesn't everyone?

Three: when a skill exceeds 100%, the character gets an additional critical chance if the number you is roll is less than your excess over 100. E.g. If your skill is 125% and you roll 21 then 21 is less than 25 so you've gained a critical. If you roll a double as well (e.g. rolling 22) then you have a Critical-2 which beats a critical.

So at 200% you have a 100% chance of critical?

SGL

soltakss said:
weasel_fierce said:
Sorcery, as written, is only available in-game. You cant begin play with it.

Which is a really silly idea - you have a magic system with no supporting character professions. Why they didn't include even a sorcerer and apprentice professions in Companion, I don't know.
The appropriate place for them would be in a setting book, particularly as they are dependent on the cultures available in that setting. Player's Guide to Glorantha, anyone?

Trifletraxor said:
Also. I find rolling over and over kinda ridiculous. In an opposed test, you need to determine who succeeded and who failed. More importantly, you're really determining who overcame the other guys skill at the particular task at hand. Simple subtraction of skill over 100 from both skills works great for combat skills (where both can succeed and still get a valid result), but not so great by itself for opposed rolls.

Actually, you don't always need to see who wins the opposed test. "Gargar" want to by 2 greatsword from a merchant, but thinks the price is too high. Influence vs. influence roll. Fail-fail = Gargar won't buy the swords, the merchant won't lower his price. And if you do need a winner, re-roling fail-fail rolls gives the advantage that you know low is always good.

Correct. But you're still potentialy re-rolling alot. Also. What if both succeed? It really doesn't matter what the actual numbers are with your system. What you've basically done is create a range of values beween one guys skill and the other's. Why not simply use that value in some logical way instead of rolling over and over? To me, subtracting the amount you make it by works perfectly, because it exactly uses that value. If I'm 25% better at a skill then you, then on average, if I make my skill roll, I'll make it by 25 points more then you.

All you really need or want to do with an opposed skill test is retain the difference in skill in some relevant manner within the test itself. Subtraction by itself does that perfectly.

Why would you subtract from combat skill over 100% by the way? What's the point of that?

Lots of reasons. The first off which is that skill over 100% doesn't improve your combat capablity much (you gain in chance to critical). You can use skill points to use special abilities like precise strike, but if you have no mechanic for lowering skills, then combat between opponents over 100% mean essentially "free" precise strikes every round. If you allow either opponent to optionally subtract any of his skill over 100% from the other guys opposing combat skill, then you correct this problem. In order to get a "free" precise strike (one that does not actually reduce your chance to hit), you'd need to be 40% higher then the other guys skill, because otherwise, he could always reduce your skill such that using precise strike would drop you to under 100%.

I could write an entire post on just why this is not only a good reason, but arguably necessary in order to make combats with skill levels over 100% actually work correctly.

What I do for opposed rolls over 100% is the following. One side rolls. He subtracts the amount he rolled from his skill. This establishes a single number that represents the number of percentiles he made his skill by, which can be extrapolated to be the degree to which he succeeded, right? That value is then applied as a skill minus to the opposed skill (essentially difficulty since it's *harder* to spot someone who is really good at hiding, right?).

Here rolling high on the skill roll is good is some situations, and not in others. And I don't see how it helped with skills over 100%. Say you have 100% vs. 200%. How does this rule work out that?

It works the same way. The 100% skill guy rolls a 48. He made his skill roll by 52%. The 200% skill guy rolls a 76. He made his skill by 124%. Since 124 is higher then 76. The 200% guy wins. What's hard about that? You use the same mechanic regardless of the skill level. Just roll the dice and subtract.

Or are you getting at the point that the 200% skill guy effectively can't lose? Yup. That's correct. But IMO, if someone's 100% better then the other, he *shouldn't* lose. Remember, there's still that 5% chance of faliing anyway. Basically, in that case, unless the 200% guy makes a mistake, the 100% guy is never going to win. But isn't that accurate? Try playing chess with a grandmaster sometime. You wont win. You *can't* win. In fact, the game mechanic that you'll win 1 out of every 20 times is astronomically higher then your actual chances in that case.

I just don't have a problem with vast skill differences equating to automatic success. IMO, that's a perfectly valid and workable thing. As the GM, you can control the skill levels of the opponents your players will face. If you put someone in there who's 100% better then the characters, then it's presumably because you intended for him to beat them. Same works in reverse. If I set some 40% stealth skilled broo off to sneak up on the PC "Eagle Eye Sam" the greatest tracker/hunter in the world, with 250% perception, I presumably expect that Sam's going to spot the broo...

I'm simply trying to provide a system that puts the greatest weight on the difference in two character's skill levels and use that as the determinant of success. My system has the advantage that it *always* accurately reflects difference in skill. Some will argue that it's ratio of skill that matters, but I don't really agree with that. Your skills dont increase as a percentage of their current value. They increase by a set number of points. So someone who's spent X amount more time training a skill will have a directly corresponding number of skill points more in that skill then someone who didn't. It's that number that matters, not the ratio. Ratio changes constantly. Two characters both have 25% skill. One spends some experience checks increasing his skill by 25% more to 50%. The other does something else. He's now twice as good, right? Ok. He spends the exact same additional number of experience checks and increases his skill by another 25% to 75%. Now he's three times as good. Shouldn't he be four times as good? If we were tracking ratio's he would be. But that's not how the skill system works. It's never worked that way. It's a linear value. Each skill point is worth one extra chance on a percentile roll of success. Thus, each skill point is equally valued (ok. Sorta).

It makes much more sense to always use that skill difference to calculate skill odds then anything else. Trying to retain ratios gets you into all sorts of mathmatical trouble and is just not worth doing IMO.

I did plan to allow players to split their skill over 100%, and make two rolls

e.g. Player 1 (140%) vs Player 2(80%)

Player 1 can roll twice, once at 95% and once at 45% (or possibly 100 and 40 to be really strict). If Player 2 rolls less than 45, Player 1 has two chances to beat him, whereas if Player 2 rolls greater than 45 and less than 80, Player has only one chance to win, albeit the chance is greater.

That was my plan, but I like Gnarsh's subtraction method too. There is some mental juggling involved which does go against the RQ grain slightly but we're all pretty numerate so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm aiming to start my campaign after Christmas, so I've got till the new year before I have to make up my mind which method I use. :)

Trifletraxor said:

Huh? I didn't get that.
I don't use the rule that 1/10th of your skill is a critical. I use a rule that rolling a double gives you a critical if you succeed and a fumble if you fail.

For example, if your skill is 45%. If you roll 44 then you succeeded and rolled a double therefore you have rolled a critical. If, on the other hand, you roll a 55 then you have failed and rolled a double so you fumble.

I'm using that too of course! Doesn't everyone?
Might do but it's not in the rules as written. In RAW if one person rolls 01 and the other 74, providing they both succeeded, then 74 wins regardless of the 01 being a critical.

So at 200% you have a 100% chance of critical?

SGL
Yes.

To be precise. You have a 95% chance of getting at least one critical. On a 96-98 you will end up with a normal success and 99-00 will get you a normal failure. This means that if you have a contest of 200% vs 100% the 200%er will win something like 95% of the contests. I don't know the precise stats.

edit: removed rogue formatting

Deleriad said:

The problem here is that if both character roll under their skill, the one with the lowest skill will certainly win the opposition. Doesn't sound right to me.

However, it is true that the one with the highest skill still has a better chance to win in an opposition without looking at the actual degree of success.

Nonetheless, I agree that crits should beat normal successes.

Mugen said:
Deleriad said:

The problem here is that if both character roll under their skill, the one with the lowest skill will certainly win the opposition. Doesn't sound right to me.

However, it is true that the one with the highest skill still has a better chance to win in an opposition without looking at the actual degree of success.

Well, my dodgy stats told me that say in a 40% vs 20% contest with low roller wins, the one with 40% wins 64% of the contests and the one with 20%. Once you figure in criticals and fumbles I think it goes up to around 67%. I.e. the 40%er wins twice as often as the 20%er. This is assuming that when both parties fail then the one that rolls the lowest wins. I can't give more accurate stats than that because my maths isn't good enough. I may even have the stats completely wrong.

I was quite surprised by this because I used to use the highest roll wins opposed contests because it also felt wrong that it *seemed* as though the lower skilled character had an advantage.

Interestingly, if you use the resistance table and use skill/5 then 40% vs 20% is the same as 8 vs 4 which, on the resistance table, ends up as 70 vs 30.

Deleriad said:
Well, my dodgy stats told me that say in a 40% vs 20% contest with low roller wins, the one with 40% wins 64% of the contests and the one with 20%. Once you figure in criticals and fumbles I think it goes up to around 67%. I.e. the 40%er wins twice as often as the 20%er. This is assuming that when both parties fail then the one that rolls the lowest wins. I can't give more accurate stats than that because my maths isn't good enough. I may even have the stats completely wrong.

I was quite surprised by this because I used to use the highest roll wins opposed contests because it also felt wrong that it *seemed* as though the lower skilled character had an advantage.

You're absolutely true, even with "roll low wins", the highest skill still has a greatest chance to win a contest. But this is only because there are a number of cases when the guy with the high skill manage to roll under his skill when the other doesn't, even with a X+1 vs X contest.

But as soon as you only consider the cases when both rolls are either a success or a critical, the lowest skill has a greatest chance to win.

For instance, (let Sh the highest skill ans Sl the lowest).

Sh = 50, Sl = 10

Cases when Sh wins are :

Case 1 :
Sh scores a crit and Sl don't : 4*9 cases in 50*10.

Case 2 :
Both rolls are under Sl and the roll is in favor of Sh : Sl²/2 cases, minus the ties, so : 100/2 - 10 = 40 cases in 500.

Chances that Sh wins : 36 + 40 = 76/900 = 8.44%

Sh = 90, Sl = 10

Cases when Sh wins are :

Case 1 :
Sh scores a crit and Sl don't : 8*9 cases in 90*10.

Case 2 :
Both rolls are under Sl and the roll is in favor of Sh : Sl²/2 cases, minus the ties, so : 100/2 - 10 = 40 cases in 900.

Chances that Sh wins : 36 + 40 = 112/900 = 12.44%

Sh = 60, Sl = 40

Cases when Sh wins are :

Case 1 :
Sh scores a crit and Sl don't : 6*36 cases in 60*40.

Case 2 :
Both rolls are under Sl and the roll is in favor of Sh : Sl²/2 cases, minus the ties, so : 1600/2 - 40 = 760 cases in 2400.

Chances that Sh wins : 760 + 216 = 976/2400 = 40.7%

Mugen said:
You're absolutely true, even with "roll low wins", the highest skill still has a greatest chance to win a contest. But this is only because there are a number of cases when the guy with the high skill manage to roll under his skill when the other doesn't, even with a X+1 vs X contest.

But as soon as you only consider the cases when both rolls are either a success or a critical, the lowest skill has a greatest chance to win.

Yes, I do realise that. If someone asks "how often should someone with 40% in a skill beat someone with 20%" then an answer of 2 times to 1, then that seems reasonable. That's what the low roll system gives you.

Now if both parties have an "equal degree of success" in their roll (e.g. both roll a normal success) then yes, the one with the lower skill will tend to win more often. You could argue that if someone with 20% in a skill succeeds normally at a task that they have done relatively better than someone who is twice as skilled who has succeeded normally.

I used to run "high roller wins" but it always out of place with unopposed skills. Now I *think* the low roller wins system roughly captures the same odds as the resistance table but only if you change the critical rules from 1/10th of skill to something like rolling doubles because otherwise low numbers become just too good. If 40 vs 20 roughly equates to 2/1 odds of victory then that seems about right.

Just in case it's not clear it is crucial that two failures are resolved immediately. E.g. If both fail, the low roller wins as per MRQ. If you keep rolling until at least one wins then the odds get screwy.

What I like about the system is that you don't need maths to calculate criticals or who won, you only ever need one roll and you get a consistent "low is good" message for rolls. I don't mind doing maths but given a system that lets you avoid maths but ends up with a similar result then that makes me happy.

Different folks have different strokes. On the whole I like to be able to play with a minimum of tables and to have a "grammar" behind the rules that is fairly consistent.

the easiest way to resolve the sorcerer starting profession is to use the wizard, replacing all instances of Runecasting with Manipulation (any type)) and add an extra Manipulation type to the starting skills. Its what i did in my campaign because a player wnated a sorcerer but no runes. He started with 3 Manipulation skills at 42%, and bought a couple of spells with his starting money.

After all being a wizard through the standard rules doesn't give you access to spells you still need to buy them.

Licheking said:
After all being a wizard through the standard rules doesn't give you access to spells you still need to buy them.

Actually you get one spell per integrated Rune according to the rules. But then, rune spells are not skills like sorcery spells. Maybe you should let the character choose Manipulation or Spells during generation.

I don't know of any resolution system that offhand that actualy gives 2:1 odds of a character with 40% skill beating one with 20% skill. Even if you always re-roll double wins or double losses, you still get odd of 72% that the 40% guy will win.

A system where double-fails are re-rolled, but lowest success wins gives odds of 85% in favour of the 40% guy.

It's true that low rolls win ties is an easy system to run, but it's not an intuitive system when it comes to calculating actual odds of success. For example, if character A has 40% skill and Character B has 20% skill, who wuld intuitively guess that this system actualy gives character A only 52% odds of winning? His double skill - a 20 point lead - only translates into a 2% shift in the actual odds. Lowest roll wins on a tie has a huge equalising effect.

This ignores criticals, but actualy criticals are so rare in MRQ that they have only a very tiny effect on the odds.

Deleriad said:
Well, my dodgy stats told me that say in a 40% vs 20% contest with low roller wins, the one with 40% wins 64% of the contests and the one with 20%. Once you figure in criticals and fumbles I think it goes up to around 67%. I.e. the 40%er wins twice as often as the 20%er. This is assuming that when both parties fail then the one that rolls the lowest wins. I can't give more accurate stats than that because my maths isn't good enough. I may even have the stats completely wrong.[/quote]

Here are my workings, ignoring criticals, which only have a very small effect on MRQ odds. Character A has 40% skill, character B has 20%. Let's ad up the odds of all the different combinations.

If A Succeeds (40% chance):
B fails (80% chance)- A wins +32% (40% times 80%)
B succeds (20%)- A wins +2%, B wins + 6%

If A Fails (60% chance):
B rolls 40 or less: B wins +24%
B rolls 60 or more: B wins +18%, A wins + 18%

A wins total = 52%
B wins total = 48%

Note that the main factor is that if A fails, which is highly likely, B has a huge chance of success. In that situation if B rolls anything less that 40 it's a win, and if B rolls higer than 40 it's even odds. This has a huge levelling effect in the final calculation.

You might be able to add 1 or 2% to A's odds based on critical.

Gnarsh wrote:
Correct. But you're still potentialy re-rolling alot. Also. What if both succeed? It really doesn't matter what the actual numbers are with your system. What you've basically done is create a range of values beween one guys skill and the other's. Why not simply use that value in some logical way instead of rolling over and over? To me, subtracting the amount you make it by works perfectly, because it exactly uses that value. If I'm 25% better at a skill then you, then on average, if I make my skill roll, I'll make it by 25 points more then you.

In crit-crit or success-success rolls, lower wins. And failures beat fumbles of course. Subtracting the amount you make it by involves a bit more difficult maths than the subtract skill above 100% from both skills-rule though. (Me and my players often drink when we play, must make it as simple as possible :) )

All you really need or want to do with an opposed skill test is retain the difference in skill in some relevant manner within the test itself. Subtraction by itself does that perfectly.

I agree, but I think subtracting the skill above 100% is more easy. It will be the rule I use in practice, as my players very rarely have a skill above 100%. I included the halving rule on top (when both are above 100%) as some players here on this forum appeared to play with some absurd high skills from time to time.
Lots of reasons. The first off which is that skill over 100% doesn't improve your combat capablity much (you gain in chance to critical). You can use skill points to use special abilities like precise strike, but if you have no mechanic for lowering skills, then combat between opponents over 100% mean essentially "free" precise strikes every round. If you allow either opponent to optionally subtract any of his skill over 100% from the other guys opposing combat skill, then you correct this problem. In order to get a "free" precise strike (one that does not actually reduce your chance to hit), you'd need to be 40% higher then the other guys skill, because otherwise, he could always reduce your skill such that using precise strike would drop you to under 100%.

Okay, I see the point of this rule. But I'm gonna go with the possibility to split the attack or parry (ála RQ3) when the skill goes above 100%. Using a modified version of the old rules for combat.

It works the same way. The 100% skill guy rolls a 48. He made his skill roll by 52%. The 200% skill guy rolls a 76. He made his skill by 124%. Since 124 is higher then 76. The 200% guy wins. What's hard about that? You use the same mechanic regardless of the skill level. Just roll the dice and subtract.

Got it the second time around! :wink: It's logical, but involves more calculation than the subtract skill above 100% rule.

Deleriad wrote:
I don't use the rule that 1/10th of your skill is a critical. I use a rule that rolling a double gives you a critical if you succeed and a fumble if you fail.

Understand it now. I see the the advantages with it, less calculations, but I prefer it when it's always lower the better, higher the worse. Just for the mental aspect of the dice rolling! :)

To be precise. You have a 95% chance of getting at least one critical. On a 96-98 you will end up with a normal success and 99-00 will get you a normal failure. This means that if you have a contest of 200% vs 100% the 200%er will win something like 95% of the contests. I don't know the precise stats.

I find those critical levels to high for my personal taste. It might be good for working out who won the opposed test, but that the higher skilled guy always win by performing critically at his skill I don't like.

SGL.

Trifletraxor said:
In crit-crit or success-success rolls, lower wins. And failures beat fumbles of course. Subtracting the amount you make it by involves a bit more difficult maths than the subtract skill above 100% from both skills-rule though. (Me and my players often drink when we play, must make it as simple as possible :) )

Yeah. The problem I have with opposed skills using the (admittedly simpler) "subtract over 100%" system is that it creates a "lucky guy wins" situation. As several people have pointed out, the actual odds of successs doesn't ever actually represent a true comparison of the two skills. Not in an opposed roll system.

In a combat roll system, it does work. Because both are rolling purely to determine if their skill succeeded, with the results of all combinations determined after that point. If you boil a 130 to 100 contest into a 100 v 70 contest, it works just fine. One has a 100% chance to succeed with his skill. The other has a 70% chance. Done. Easy. Works great.

But opposed rolls, by their very nature require that we resolve one winner. We don't have a result that handles both succeeding or both failing. What we're really measuring in an opposed roll is "who did better?". And in that situation, direct rolling just off the skill values does not work because your roll doesn't tell you who did "better" then the other. It only tells you who rolled lower.

In that 100 v 70 contest, if one guy rolls a 50 and the other rolls a 25, the guy who rolled 25 wins. In fact, he wins regardless of what his skill is. The fact that he may be 30% more or less skilled then the other guy had absolutely zero impact in this case. He rolled lower then the other guy, so he won. This becomes significant at the high skill levels since the odds that both will succeed are pretty decent, but when both do succeed, then it's just a matter of who rolled luckier then the other (which is a mechanic I despise and try to eliminate where possible).

Under your system, if player A has 130% and player B a 100% chance, then their skills are boiled down to 100/70, then in the resuling rolls of 50 and 25 respectively, player B wins. He won because he succeeded and rolled lower then the other guy.

In my system, Player A would have won that roll. Because he rolled (130-50) 80% under his skill, while Player B only rolled (100-25) 75% under his skill. In my system, the winner is determined, not just by the guy who rolled lowest out of a possible 1-100 range, but by who rolled better in relation to their skill. Yes. It's a bit more math, but not that much so. It has the advantage of *always* accurately reflecting relative skill points at all times and on all rolls while also allowing the exact same mechanic to be used every time you roll the dice.

Consistency and accuracy are good things.

Got it the second time around! :wink: It's logical, but involves more calculation than the subtract skill above 100% rule.

Actually, it really isn't. It just appears to on first glance. In both systems, both rolls involve a single subtraction. Arguably, it's easier to subtract the amount one is over 100%, but that does not guarantee an easier subtraction on the other end. For example. If I have a 137% skill, and you have a 74% skill, you're going to have to subtract 37 from 74, which is pretty much exactly as difficult as subtracting what you rolled from your skill (if you rolled a 37 for instance, it would be *exactly* the same subtraction).

Beyond being more accurate, my system is effectively a "double blind" system. It allows both sides to roll their skills without knowing the skill level of their opponent. This is important because in many cases the GM does not necessarily want the players to know why they're rolling a skill, much less how skilled their opponent is. Sometimes you just ask your players to roll a skill and tell you how much they made it by and then you determine whether they succeeded or failed at whatever the roll was for. This is important for both non-opposed and opposed skill rolls. If I ask someone to make a perception roll, I don't really want them to know whether the roll was to spot a trap on the floor, or notice a bad guy sneaking up on them. In the first case, they're effectively rolling against a static value (the difficulty of the spot). If I've determined that one must make a perception roll at -40% to spot the trap, the player just rolls his perception skill as normal and if he makes it by 40% or more, he spotted the trap. If it's to spot/hear someone sneaking up on him, I roll my bad guy's skill and compare the results. If my bad guy make it by more, then the player failed to detect him. I don't want to clue the player in that someone's sneaking up on him by letting him know he's making an opposed roll, now do I? :twisted:

My process allows the exact same roll methodology to be used regardless of what type of roll the player is making. One method is always used. You ask a player to make a skill roll, and he always rolls and subtracts his roll from the skill and reports how much he made it by. As the GM you then figure out what the result of that roll is based on why you asked the player to roll in the first place. Once players get used to this, it becomes an incredibly simple process. They don't have to do different things in different situations, and they don't necessarily know why they're even rolling.

It's that flexibility of use that makes the process work well IMO. As a GM, it gives me the ability to manage more things behind the scenes, providing a more realistic game for my players to enjoy.

Gnarsh said:
But opposed rolls, by their very nature require that we resolve one winner. We don't have a result that handles both succeeding or both failing. What we're really measuring in an opposed roll is "who did better?". And in that situation, direct rolling just off the skill values does not work because your roll doesn't tell you who did "better" then the other. It only tells you who rolled lower.

That's true. It still the higher skilled guy his fair share of wins though. I think I'll stick with simplicity in this case, even though complexity gives more accurancy.

SGL.

Back