Dodge and Parry bonuses from the pregenerated NPC's

Cul

Mongoose
Has anyone looked at the dodge and parry bosnuses from the pregenerated npc's that Vincent Darlage posted on the "free material" site?
I thank him for the resource great job, however I'm scrathcing my head on the dodge a parry values he gave some of npc's. Some of them seem backward, others just don't seem to calculate right. Am I missing something? If so, I hope some one can help me out. Thanks. :?

What's missing from the material is that there was no room to list armor worn, so you're seeing the effect of shields without seeing the shield listed.

There's also some assumptions that NPCs aren't wearing armor that's shiny and new but damaged and scavenged from the battlefield.

AHHH. I thought it was something like that but then thought that's to easy of an answer. Thanks for the reply.

BhilJhoanz said:
What's missing from the material is that there was no room to list armor worn, so you're seeing the effect of shields without seeing the shield listed.

There's also some assumptions that NPCs aren't wearing armor that's shiny and new but damaged and scavenged from the battlefield.

I was looking at this today and noticed something was funny. BhilJhoanz, have you figured out what armor/shield/helmet combos the different templates have?

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Region, i.e. terrain/climate-related, bonuses aren't included in any skill totals right?

Actually, Vincent, if you don't mind, I'd like an explanation of what's included or isn't? Please. :)

TTFN,

Yokiboy

One more thing I noted, according to the FAQ you should actually add Dex Mod and your total Ref Save value together to get your Initiative Bonus. I.e. you add your Dex mod twice. The NPCs don't seem to follow this rule, and should have their Dex mod added to their Initiative values.

When I read the rules myself I giggled at the examples and decided to simply add Ref to Initiative, but they confirmed that the Dex mod should be added in twice. :shock:

I certainly prefer to just use Ref, and might decide to do so IMC, it is very easy deducting the Dex mod from all published Initiative stats (although annoying). :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Those tables, insofar as initiative goes, uses DEX once, which is the way all the Conan NPC's in the books and on the free download are generated. Those sheets were finished before the FAQ came out and changed the rule. I continue to use the pre-FAQ method in my own personal games, as I see no reason to add in the DEX modifier twice. If you want the sheets to reflect the post-FAQ ruling, you merely have to add in the DEX bonus again.

Also, you will want to make sure you have the ones on the Mongoose site now, not the first ones that were offered.

The sheets do not add in terrain or region-type bonuses.

VincentDarlage said:
I continue to use the pre-FAQ method in my own personal games, as I see no reason to add in the DEX modifier twice. If you want the sheets to reflect the post-FAQ ruling, you merely have to add in the DEX bonus again.

Also, you will want to make sure you have the ones on the Mongoose site now, not the first ones that were offered.

The sheets do not add in terrain or region-type bonuses.

Thanks for the reply, and the sheets, Vincent. I do have the current ones, and I think'll do just what you're doing, and forget about the FAQ ruling. I'll simply add the Ref Save value to Initiative.

The clarification regarding other bonuses was very nice, then I'll simply add them in when relevant.

Thanks again,

Yokiboy

I have seen the FAQ regarding dex added twice into the initiative (one for your dex and your total reflex modifier including dex again). I pesonaly think that is an oversight. It just isn't logical. I just add the base reflex plus dex plus any additional modifiers like improved initiative.

As for the NPC sheets, they have been a great help. It takes no time to adjust the perry and dodge to what you've equipt the NPC's with. I'm not sure what equipment was used for each of the npc's dodge and parry values but if I dissect them I'm sure I can figure it out. I Just thought that some one might have already figured out the break down.

Cul said:
As for the NPC sheets, they have been a great help. It takes no time to adjust the perry and dodge to what you've equipt the NPC's with. I'm not sure what equipment was used for each of the npc's dodge and parry values but if I dissect them I'm sure I can figure it out. I Just thought that some one might have already figured out the break down.

Yes the sheets are an amazing help. I'm creating my first Conan story for a gaming session next weekend, and they're so nice to have. :)

I am modifying equipment anyways, so I'll redo DR and DV ratings, no issues at all. It is actually a ton of fun creating Conan characters, the racial templates add a lot of flavor to the characters, plus I love the classes! :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Cul said:
I have seen the FAQ regarding dex added twice into the initiative (one for your dex and your total reflex modifier including dex again). I pesonaly think that is an oversight. It just isn't logical.

Actually it IS logical if the intention is to increase the significance of Dex on initiative. One of the problems that the d20 system faces is the large variability between the random element (d20) and the bonus e.g. +4 for 18 in an attribute). It means that the advantage that someone with an 18 has over someone with a 10 in a stat (dex contests, str contests, whatever) isn't very pronounced, and unless a contest takes place over a large number of rolls there is a high chance of an "upset" with unexpected victory going to the lower ranked character.

Adding double the attribute modifier to the d20 roll is a mechanism for increasing the differentiation between high and low ability scores; the fact that initiative is only rolled once per combat makes it a candidate for increasing the significance of Dex.

So while individuals can happily decide whether or not they think it is a good idea, it is certainly one that has logic behind it and it seems unlikely to be an oversight, merely a decision to increase the significance of the Dex attribute on initiative.

Cheers

Back