Do I have to play a Nazi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hi,
a friend of mine will start a B5 RPG campaign soon. I
thought it would be kewl to play a german.
He told me that I have to play a Nazi since that is
what germans are.They are militaristic and extreme.
And I always have to be drunk. I asked if there are no
other options since I don't like Nazis.He said that I
can play an australian or hungarian. But since Austria
and Hungary have been part of of the Sowjetunion I
have to play a communist. I didn't believe him but
then he showed me the text in the EA Factionbook.So
when I want to play a germand I have the choice
between a nazi and a commie.Is there another choice
for me?
Does anybody have an idea?
azrael80@yahoo.com

James Beam said:
Does anybody have an idea?

"Get over it?" "Let it drop?"

National feats aren't compulsary and Militaristic != Nazi

Take a look at one of the other nations that has it as a Feat and try and tell me they're Nazis...

Militaristic means that there is a cultural bent towards miltary service (National Service anyone..?)

Now mentioning Austria as having been part of the Soviet Union is a mistake pure and simple (it might be as simple as a misplaced comma but I'd have to check).

Hungary was in fact part of the Soviet Union, I seem to recall Russian tanks crushing the odd uprising in the sixties in fact...

James Beam said:
He told me that I have to play a Nazi since that is
what germans are.They are militaristic and extreme.
I
have to play a communist. I didn't believe him but
then he showed me the text in the EA Factionbook.
I am not a german but I think your master is a little too strict. :lol:
The description given in rules are only the archetipal way, and how others perceive them. This is not a canonic only way to play them.

Like proof, demand him what is the meaning of the word suggestion ? :twisted:

The best exemple is certainly Jeffrey David Sinclair, who is a marzie. He hasn't some particular hostility for Earther, otherwise he couldn't be friendly with Ivanova, Stephen Franklin and Michael Alfredo Garibaldi (but I am not sure about origin of Garibaldi). More, if you strictly apply the roleplaying suggestion, he couldn't obtain his EA rank. :p

The only conclusion, for me, is than your master is curently too young (in mastering):roll:. I can suggest you to play without earth nationality (that solve the problem), in any case you continue to have a common language the English.

To me, nationality is only a roleplaying aspect. For a Centaury, a Minbari or a Narn, any humans are same.

Bye
JaI

Oh, my. I suggest you immidiately buy your GM a BIG dose of reality serum.

For one those characteristics are Highly stereotypical - as hes been mentioned in heated discussions elsewhere.
For another, even if you assume that in B5 time those races have assumed those characteristics, militaristic doesn't equal Nazi. It means placing great importance on military strength - but with no direction attached.
And the bit about Austria being a soviet satellite state is just plain wrong, and Agent-1 will have to apologize for that one for a while yet (and it could have been soo easy for him... just a little more reasearch... it's in the history books for everyone to read...). No misplaced comma to blame I'm afraid...
And finally - even if it all were true, no country is populated entirely by clones. Even at the height of communism, there were a LOT of russians who were definitely not communist. Even in 1938 there were a LOT of people living in Grand Germany that were not nazis. Those descriptings are intended to give a "general tone" of the people there, nothing more.

And about that "always drunk"... wasn't that the Irish with their whiskey? Or the russians with their vodka? No, wait, the americans with their beer cans...
See where this is leading?
No people are always drunk.

Noo, your GM needs to learn a LOT more about GM-ing (and real life from the way this sounds), and you can play whatever you want; people are not so different in most places of the world, you'll find all kinds in every country.

Hmmm, Militaristic=Nazi? Correct me if I am wrong (I don't have the book) but don't the Israelis get Militaristic as a National Feat as well? Try telling an Israeli he's a Nazi and I'll send flowers to your hospital room.

I think your GM needs to loosen up on the absolute regard to the rules.

Not this again. Let it drop already. Better yet, the mods should just start deleting these trolls.

I am not a german but I think your master is a little too strict.
I am a German an this is not strict but only idiotical. Is the GM older then 13 I am not shure :shock:

That`s definetly the point I mean in the closed thread. The description of the stereotypes of native for the countrys may be possible be right (for a part of the population) for the first 1/2 of the 20 Century but afterwards we are 50 years ahead in real time. The second part was the real wrong part`s of true history :shock:
A friend of mine from Canada read the part of his country and his first answer was "Written by an american?"

A personal question to the author of the book Can you explain me why you write the country`s in the way you did. I wish to understand it.

A tip for the starter of the thread
Kick your GM as soon as possible

Baraendur said:
Not this again. Let it drop already. Better yet, the mods should just start deleting these trolls.

Ah I sadly agree - the intelligent debate and questioning on these subjects seems to have long since died. Whilst I enjoyed reading the first post (its fairly funny (and satrical in exactly the same way the EA Nationalities was) its time to put this baby to bed, and move on.

The points have been made - as much as I enjoy a slagging match, maybe those involved might like to take it off board, and use personal messages.

Goodnight ladies,

hassanisabbah said:
Baraendur said:
Ah I sadly agree - the intelligent debate and questioning on these subjects seems to have long since died. Whilst I enjoyed reading the first post (its fairly funny (and satrical in exactly the same way the EA Nationalities was) its time to put this baby to bed, and move on.

The points have been made - as much as I enjoy a slagging match, maybe those involved might like to take it off board, and use personal messages.

Goodnight ladies,
It was not funny in the first place. Not at all.

Deleting does not help to bring back peace and harmony. Deleting is just a way of avoiding any possible kind of remedy - this is exactly what invites the nameless trolls on this subject.

Sadly, the original thread has been unnecessarily deleted, so that the "intelligent debate" mentioned in the quote above is no longer available for examination. What remains are tense feelings and no means to relieve them in a constructive manner. So there will be trolls.

The problem is, if you are abusive to quite a lot of people and do nothing but ignore the matter, you will have to live with what you brought upon yourselves.

A gesture of peace and understanding is much more urgently required as some may think, because - as I fear - the matter might devolve to something more ugly than most members of this forum might expect.

I also think that it is a mistake to call everybody who does not share your oppinion a troll. looks like the tyspical die hard product fan board where everybody who critises the company is verbally attacked.

OK everybody,

If you want to continue along these lines this thread and any others that I consider inappropriate will get locked down. The point has been made and the message has come across.

Any official replies have already been made, so please confine comments to what this forum is about - Mongoose products. There are plenty of places out there if anybody wants to have a rant. This isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back