Deepnight Revelation - the Greatest Traveller Campaign... Ever?

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Greetings, fellow Travellers!

This is a special day, as we have just released what may well be the greatest Traveller campaign yet - Deepnight Revelation.

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/deepnight-revelation.html

North American Travellers can grab theirs here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/deepnight-revelation.html

A grand 20 year campaign into deep space, commanding the exploration cruiser Deepnight Revelation.

The Deepnight Entity
It was alive when the stars were young. It saw the birth of galaxies, and it will see the death of the universe. It is growth and destruction; menace and saviour. It retreated into a prison of its own making, and there it waits. An exploration ship found the clues, and was destroyed. A researcher touched its mind, and was driven insane. What is it? We must know.

Deepnight Revelation
Deepnight Revelation, a former navy cruiser. Outfitted for the most stupendous mission in human history; a one-ship expedition along the Great Rift to the edge of the Spiral Arm. Deepnight Revelation will explore the uncharted systems along its path; contact unknown species and weather unpredictable dangers. At last we will stand before the gates to the Entity’s prison and demand entry. We will confront the Deepnight Entity and seek answers.

One Ship, Many Stories
There is a place for any Traveller aboard Deepnight Revelation; scientists and explorers, pilots and engineers, diplomats and rogues. There are mysteries to be unravelled, enemies to battle, and situations that require… unconventional… talents. The Travellers can take on any role they please, from humble research assistants to the mission’s commanders. The decisions they make will shape the course of the expedition – and perhaps the history of entire species.

Deepnight Revelation. A voyage beyond everything we know.

Contains:

Book 1: Deepnight Legacy, the introductory adventure that sets the scene.
Book 2: Campaign Guide, outlining the entire voyage and regions of space travelled.
Book 3: Referee’s Handbook, containing all the rules you need to know to run this epic campaign.
Book 4: Terminus Point, the incredible grand finale that will take your Travellers where no Traveller has gone before...

Deepnight Revelation will be expanded with a total of six new books, each looking at specific stages of the great voyage, with new adventures, alien civilisations, cosmic mysteries, and the grand majesty of the universe.

Kickstarter backers have already started chatting about their own experiences of this massive campaign. Come and swing by the forum thread right here: http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=122847

344845.jpg

I am going to rate it *Five Stars* as soon as possible :D , but noticed two Errata in the Map of the Journey:

1): In the old map, you wrote "GIMLY" instead of "GIMLI", now I see "GIMLi" :roll: :lol: ...
"
2): You forgot to add "ORION' SPIT RIMWARD", that green "GREAT RIFT" ate it :wink: .

So this campaign has a "god" in it? What is it with "gods" in sci-fi? Grandfather was quite enough in Secrets.
Can the Deepknight campaign be run with no involvement with this "supreme entity"? I hope he doesn't want a starship. :D

Will there be a paper version? When? I'll check the distributor's (Alliance) ordering website, but it probably says "NYA".

I haven't run Pirates, yet, but it's the next thing for my group once we end the current Pathfinder Adventure Path.

The deepnight entity is not a god.

It's not even close to being as 'old god-ish ' as the Abyssals...

Hi Matt, for some reason I was looking back at the kickstarter and it mentioned a card deck as part of the original boxed set - "A deck of cards, covering Mission Briefings, Standing Orders, and Mission Roles."

I presume this was just quick reference material of things that exists elsewhere in the set, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the released boxed set. Have I missed a conversation or something ? Was this mentioned during the kickstarter development ? Just interested to find out what happened, nothing more.

Thanks

Martin.

Culture-pig said:
I presume this was just quick reference material of things that exists elsewhere in the set, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the released boxed set. Have I missed a conversation or something ? Was this mentioned during the kickstarter development ? Just interested to find out what happened, nothing more.

It was mentioned in the comments of one of the updates - in a nutshell, we had an idea for missions development with a card system, but during the writing of Deepnight we found it really added nothing substantial to the campaign. Instead, we increased the size of books to compensate. Basically, we added things that could properly be used rather than proceed with what would have been little more than a gimmick (we hates gimmicks in our games :)).

Shame.

I must have missed that particular update/announcement.

One of my favourite add-ons to rpgs these days are card decks - the T5 cards that came with the last kickstarter are a really nice addition, and I regularly use the card decks for the Infinity rpg and the Genesys/Android rpg card decks to generate scenarios, have ready made NPCs to hand, and have equipment cards that can be shown quickly without having to page through a rulebook.

Sigtrygg said:
One of my favourite add-ons to rpgs these days are card decks - the T5 cards that came with the last kickstarter are a really nice addition, and I regularly use the card decks for the Infinity rpg and the Genesys/Android rpg card decks to generate scenarios, have ready made NPCs to hand, and have equipment cards that can be shown quickly without having to page through a rulebook.

Very understandable, and we did this a great deal with Paranoia and, to a lesser extent, Sea of Thieves. We have been discussing card decks for Traveller, for a variety of uses, but as I say, we want them to be more than just a gimmick - we want them to be useful.

Something we will no doubt revisit in the future!

For me the answer to the thread's question is a clear and definite YES!

We started early playing the campaign before everything was released and until now I still have not read all books of the campaign. So, I am still discovering new parts of the voayage and the massive amount of ideas that went into that oeuvre never ceases to amaze me. For me it is quite obvious that many people have invested a lot of heart and soul in the implementation of the project. Thank you for that!

This week the last books of the campaign reached me and everything turned out just great!

I would like to take this opportunity to praise the Mongoose team: The Kickstarter campaign was super organised, the stretch goals are great expansions of the campaign, the communication with the backers has always been exemplary and the money-for-value ratio is really incredibly good. Count me in for the next Kickstarter!

And most importantly, we are still having fun with the campaign and will certainly continue to do so for the next few months (We started playing about a year ago). Thank you!

Tea Rex said:
For me the answer to the thread's question is a clear and definite YES!

We started early playing the campaign before everything was released and until now I still have not read all books of the campaign. So, I am still discovering new parts of the voayage and the massive amount of ideas that went into that oeuvre never ceases to amaze me. For me it is quite obvious that many people have invested a lot of heart and soul in the implementation of the project. Thank you for that!

Thanks for the kind words. I pretty much was given an idea and an end image ('looking down on our galaxy, far away') and had to fill in everything in between. It was not a small job.

M J Dougherty said:
It was not a small job.

I believe that straight away. As I said, I love the result and you and all the people involved can be very proud.
The only fly in the ointment is the "sand boxiness" of some parts. I am really having fun adding my own ideas in a multitude of places (this is one of the reasons why I like the campaign), but this becomes straining when you have to come up each week with some original ideas. And the campaign is long and space is vast. ;)

Back