Dear Mongoose....

Infidel-X

Mongoose
Love Conan d20 but whats up with the Missing Whirlwind Attack and "tactical body armor such as riot gear"?? is there a Errata in the works?

Infidel-X said:
Groovy :D

Have they given us any idea when?

They keep delaying it. It was supposed to be last week, along with the missing Mass Combat Rules. I'd rather have the Eratta done right than quickly, but the delay is still aggravating, as is the missing Mass Combat system originally promised with the game.

Iron_Chef said:
Infidel-X said:

They keep delaying it. It was supposed to be last week, along with the missing Mass Combat Rules. I'd rather have the Eratta done right than quickly, but the delay is still aggravating, as is the missing Mass Combat system originally promised with the game.

Yeah, and until they get it right mine goes back to my FLGS

NewGuy said:
Iron_Chef said:
Infidel-X said:

Good luck getting a refund or full value credit. That's not how LGS stay in business because they don't have the margins of a Barnes & Noble/B. Dalton or Borders. I love my Conan RPG book, warts and all, and wouldn't return it even if I could. That said, I still think Mongoose needs to get the eratta out pronto. These delays and lack of communication on it must be hurting the first printing's sales potential among the fence straddlers.

I agree with Iron Chef's above comments. An eratta release will satisfy me. Let's face it. The majority of the problems with the book are some glaring typos which, although unprofessional and a bit sloppy, hardly make the game unplayable.

Overall, this is a beautiful product...far more attractive than many of the other hard-bound RPG's I've seen, and light years beyond the previous Conan supplement put out by Steve Jackson. The combat and especially the sorcery system are very intriguing and my players and I have enjoyed our present campaign immensely.

The product is flawed, but hardly broken and my players and I have no intention of trying to return it.

Actually, they always said mass combat would be part of Signs and Portents or as a free download.

But the wealth of amateurish mistakes and the sacrificing of page space for the borders (how many charts are split onto two pages leaving the bottom of the page empty) has made me shelve the game.

For the promise this book had, I'm growing more and more disappointed.

Outlaw said:
But the wealth of amateurish mistakes and the sacrificing of page space for the borders (how many charts are split onto two pages leaving the bottom of the page empty) has made me shelve the game.

I don't get this. I have read the book nearly cover to cover, seen all the mistakes and shaken my head in disbelief, sorrow and even great annoyance. Yet, while there are some questions about how some of the new rules are meant to work, this is only natural when a game pushes the boundaries of an existing system. But there is nothing here that makes this game broken so that it needs to be shelved. I honestly don't understand your attitude. Your complaints are a rationale for not buying the book (typos, wasted space), but since you apparently own the book you might as well ignore the typos and wasted space and play this fine game.

I'm not sure how this book has failed to deliver on its promise, aside from presentation. Doesn't content matter?

I'm not trying to belittle your frustration. On the contrary, I feel your pain. I just would like to understand why these superificial problems are enough to convince you the game is not worth playing.

(Yes, I realize there are some substantial problems as well, such as missing stats in the bestiary. Most of these, however, we can get around rather easily until the errata arrives, even if that is still a month away.)

Iron_Chef said:
NewGuy said:
Iron_Chef said:

Good luck getting a refund or full value credit. That's not how LGS stay in business because they don't have the margins of a Barnes & Noble/B. Dalton or Borders. I love my Conan RPG book, warts and all, and wouldn't return it even if I could. That said, I still think Mongoose needs to get the eratta out pronto. These delays and lack of communication on it must be hurting the first printing's sales potential among the fence straddlers.

Oh, I wont have any trouble getting a full refund because my flgs happens to be one of those stores that you mentioned. There are times when its frustrating that we don't have a real lgs, but there is also an advantageous side to it as well. I woundn't be so upset about an errata but for another OGL product I own. I have owned it for over a year, and still the publisher has not released an errata. I feel like I paid too much money for the Conan RPG to risk that happening. It's really a shame because the book in my opinion has a lot going for it. I really do hope that the publisher addresses these problems, because I would love to run a campaign with the setting.

I am glad I have a copy of the admittedly flawed book.

I eagerly await errata.

I will happily purchase a 2nd, unflawed printing when it's available.

Yuan-Ti said:
Outlaw said:

I don't get this. I have read the book nearly cover to cover, seen all the mistakes and shaken my head in disbelief, sorrow and even great annoyance. Yet, while there are some questions about how some of the new rules are meant to work, this is only natural when a game pushes the boundaries of an existing system. But there is nothing here that makes this game broken so that it needs to be shelved. I honestly don't understand your attitude. Your complaints are a rationale for not buying the book (typos, wasted space), but since you apparently own the book you might as well ignore the typos and wasted space and play this fine game.

I'm not sure how this book has failed to deliver on its promise, aside from presentation. Doesn't content matter?

I'm not trying to belittle your frustration. On the contrary, I feel your pain. I just would like to understand why these superificial problems are enough to convince you the game is not worth playing.

(Yes, I realize there are some substantial problems as well, such as missing stats in the bestiary. Most of these, however, we can get around rather easily until the errata arrives, even if that is still a month away.)

I completely agree with Yuan-Ti. I am dumbfounded why anyone who has already bought the book wouldn't be playing it. It doesn't take that long to cross out the rules goofs and write in the errata. I don't remember more than a few rules as being more to fix than changing a few words (change Dex bonus to Dodge or Parry bonus being the main one). A fair amount of the rules I've marked my book up with are house rules I made up myself (Frex: Turanian favoured class: noble or soldier, Hyrkanian religion: Everlasting Sky (benefit spells), hiring bravo and whore prices, changing fractional silver piece item/svc. costs back to copper).

If you have the book and aren't using it, it's beyond me. It's not broken! :?

Well, there are a few reasons to answer both your questions. I bought the book unseen (the first book I had done so in over two years). Out of all my gaming groups, I am the only person to already own the Conan book. So if I begin gaming, that encourages others to buy the product, something I no longer feel comfortable recommending. Yes the game is splendidly faithful to Howard's original works, but I don't think one thing or another makes a good product. It's a combination of things, one of which is presentation, another is cost (which can be directly affected by presentation).

I can't say for other people, but for me, it's particularly frustrating. Is there something you're gifted at or do as a profession? And when you see other people doing it poorly, it's like nails on a chalkboard. My job is to take manuscripts and turn them into published books (15 last year alone). A manuscript is copyedited once. Composed pages are proofread once. Although it happens, changing a book's content in layout simply adds another responsibility for the project manager to maintain. If one of my books had come out at the quality that Conan did, I would have been written up.

Back to teh Dear Mongoose part of this thread...

Thanks for publishing me in your erratta. I shall expect my royalties on all profits from the free download. Wait a second FREE download... Foiled again.... :oops:

Back