Darkstorm's Conan Chronology

Darkstorm

Mongoose
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this forum.
Yesterday, my son bought me a copy of the Conan Roleplaying Game, and I was surprised to see my name listed in the Dedication section. Pretty cool feeling...

My name is Dale Rippke and I am a member of REHupa and the author of the "Darkstorm Conan Chronology" and "Mysteries of the Hyborian Age" series of essays. I see from some of the pevious posts that at least a few of you are familiar with my work.

Feel free to ask me questions about my views on Conan and the Hyborian Age. I'll answer as time permits.

Peace Out...

Hey Dale, good to see you here. I exchanged a few emails with you years ago, and have made good use of your chronology as well.

Welcome!

John

I blundered onto your website one day and my eyes were opened. After rereading both the original REH versions and the other versions of the Conan Stories and comparing them with your comments, I came to the conclusion that I agree a lot more with your vision than with what we had been fed for years.

I salute you and extend a Hand of welcome to our little community here.

Welcom aboard!

David Broussard
rook111@gt.rr.com

zero skill LPB said:
Google knows all! A search for "darkstorm conan chronology" netted me this:

http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Conancron.html

It certainly seems more accurate/plausible than the 'official' chronology - good stuff! I noticed while reading the Fantasy Masterworks Conan compilations that a few of the stories published after REH's death seemed out of place, more in mood - the way Conan's character changes over time - than anything else.

Your Mysteries of the Hyborian Age was both entertaining and eye-opening. The background to the Conan stories is every bit as coherent, imaginative and engrossing as Tolkein's Middle-Earth and just as worthy of seroius scholarship.

Keep up the good work and know your efforts are greatly appreciated.

What is frustrating to me is the opinion of some fairly well-known Howard scholars who feel that he really just bashed these stories out without any real concern toward building a coherent world-view. I cannot, for the life of me, get them to change their view on this subject. Seriously, if he wasn't trying to mantain accuracy in the details, then why would he write a history like "The Hyborian Age"?

I guess that the point of their view is that Howard wrote "The Hyborian Age" early in the process of Conan's creation and when he wrote subsequent stories he would try to hew close to the history, but if the dictates of the story he was telling conflicted with his history, he would just ignore it (Acheron being the prime example). Its a valid argument, except that my studies have shown me that it really doesn't work that way.

My viewpoint is that the Hyborian Age concept was a work in progress; that the later stories aren't in conflict so much as explaining it more concisely.

Some of this feeling is due to DeCamp tampering with the saga. Its hard to overcome sixty years of conditioning to look at the saga with fresh eyes. I know it was hard for me; for all I know it may well be impossible for others.

One good example of DeCamp's handiwork even shows up in this very Conan RPG rulebook. It postulates that the Stygians were of Lemurian descent, while a close reading of "The Hyborian Age" shows that the Stygians were descended from the remnants of the race that the Lemurians overthrew. It was DeCamp that first wrote about the Stygian/Lemurian connection in the old Lancer paperbacks. It certainly made me wonder if the rest of his scholarship was equally shoddy. Food for thought...

Darkstorm said:
One good example of DeCamp's handiwork even shows up in this very Conan RPG rulebook. It postulates that the Stygians were of Lemurian descent, while a close reading of "The Hyborian Age" shows that the Stygians were descended from the remnants of the race that the Lemurians overthrew. It was DeCamp that first wrote about the Stygian/Lemurian connection in the old Lancer paperbacks. It certainly made me wonder if the rest of his scholarship was equally shoddy. Food for thought...

Thank goodness someone else noticed this to. I thought I was going nuts and had simply imagined that the Stygians were of the pre-Lemurian race.

As a side note, I want to thank you for all the cool stuff on your Web site, especially the David Gemmell material, which pushed me to give Legend another try. I had tried to read it years ago, when it first came out in the States, and for some reason not gotten past the first three chapters. I gave it a re-read last year after reading the materials on your Web site, got hooked, and have now read everything Gemmell has available in the States save for White Woilf (which should be out in paperback shortly).

I also tied the world of the Drenai directly to the Hyborian Age of Conan in my gaming campaigns. The world of Conan is the distant past of the world of Aerth (from Gary Gygax's Dangerous Journeys, an Alternate Earth with magic, also the setting for Bran Mak Morn, Cormac Mac Art, Turlough Dubh O'Brien, and a slightly altered version of Solomon Kane), while the world of the Drenai is Aerth's distant future. In this setting Conan is a very (very, very, very) distant ancestor of Druss... Yeah, heretical I'm sure... (^_^)

Darkstorm said:
One good example of DeCamp's handiwork even shows up in this very Conan RPG rulebook.

I am so looking forward to the eventual un-de Camping of Conan. His little 'insert' in the Lancer/Ace versions of the Hyborian Age is SO wrong.

Help out a guy who's main experience is the deCamp-ified Ace paperbacks. What did he insert?

And what the hell kind of name is 'Sprague' anyway?

He inserted a bit of text that indicates that the Stygians and Acheronians were Lemurians (which they most assuredly were NOT). At least he offset it so it can be differentiated from Howard's text in that essay, something he didn't usually do when editing and changing Howard's work.

I have also heard (but I cannot verify this information at this time, so take it with a grain of salt) that de Camp did not like the long-haired, ugly Conan's that Frazetta painted. The only reason they were printed was because Frazetta turned them in on the last-dog-has-died deadline, and there wasn't time for re-painting. Unfortunately for de Camp, the long hair stuck; however, he did make sure all the Tor covers and all non-Frazetta Conan artwork featured a handsome, unoffensive Conan.

De Camp also wanted Conan portrayed as good-guy, something Howard didn't do. De Camp also decided Thoth-Amon should be a recurring villain. If you just read the Howard material, Conan and Thoth-Amon never actually met. De Camp wanted Crom to be a more active god, I think, as he always seems to have Conan actually praying or half-praying to Crom, and, of course, he allowed Bjorn Nyberg to publish his Return of Conan in Conan the Avenger, which actually has Crom appearing!

This doesn't even go into the horrible editing of Howard's work, and the changing of non-Conan stories into Conan stories(such as turning Three Bladed Doom into the Flame Knife).

Unfortunately, his influence will still be around for years to come, I think. Even today, there are people who actually want pastiches to be considered canon.

My name is Dale Rippke and I am a member of REHupa and the author of the "Darkstorm Conan Chronology" and "Mysteries of the Hyborian Age" series of essays. I see from some of the pevious posts that at least a few of you are familiar with my work.

Feel free to ask me questions about my views on Conan and the Hyborian Age. I'll answer as time permits.

I'll be glad to take you up on that offer. In the story "Kings In The Night" it is stated two or three times that Kull and Brule lived 100,000 years before the time of Bran Mak Morn and the Roman Empire. Is it possible then to extrapulate when REH placed the Conan stories? I know it is often said that Conan lived about 10,000 BC but I think that is a De Camp invention.

Thanks.

Michael H

From your own Gazetteers:

Grondar:---easternmost of the Seven Empires on the Thurian continent in pre-Cataclysmic times. Dark people with "slitted, yellow eyes" populated Grondar, the "Shadowy Land". The nation challenged Valusia and was subjugated by Kull. The temple of the Bloodstained God in eastern Zamora was thought to be Grondarian. (Hyborian Age I, Hand of Nergal, Bloodstained God, Flame Knife, Conan of the Isles, Riders beyond the Sunrise)

Cush:--the most wealthy, powerful nation on Nyumbani, lying to the north of Axum and Punt, east of Darfur and Nuba, and south of Zaghawa. The western borders of Cush are the towering Gwardi-Milima mountains. It is a nation of many marvels, great stone edifices, and domesticated animals (lions and elephants) that are wild in all other parts of Nyumbani. Cush has the highest level of civilization on the continent. It inhabitants are referred to as the "People of Atun". They are ebony-skinned people with strange amber-yellow eyes. The capital of Cush is located at Napata, and its queen is called the Kandiss. The emblem of Cush is a golden sun-disc. (The City of Madness, In Cush, The Trail of Bohu, The Pool of the Moon)

Emphasis mine.

Very interesting, no?

I myself place the Thurian Age of Kull and the time of Nyumbani of Imaro approximately co-eval. Nyumbani is Kaa-u of the Thurian Age. Everything fits, including a kingdom of demon-worshipers in the Western Ocean, a kingdom named "Atlan". This Atlan can be the Atlantis of a time later than Kull, which means Imaro's adventures follow the time of Kull by no less than several thousand years, say, just before the Cataclysm. Or it can simply be a version of Atlantis that rose and fell a thousand years before Kull (not actually sinking, just falling into chaos and barbarism), meaning Imaro's adventures take place at or around the same time as Kull's...

I place Elder Cush as an empire spanning from eastern Kaa-u across the continent east to the domains of the Khari. To the north of Elder Kush stands Greater Grondar (the bit of Grondar in western Thuria being merely a colony, like Turan unto Hyrkania). Pathenia is northeast of Greater Grondar and northwest of the Khari Empire. The people of Grondar and Elder Cush are the native peoples, descended from ancient Lemurian colonies (shortly after the fall of Lemuria the Elder of the time of Thongor), while the Khari are from far across the Eastern Ocean (Mayapan, in fact).

Atlantis stands in the great bay northwest of Kaa-u and southwest of Farsun, about 600 miles from each respectively. The "Atlantis" noted in the old Kull map was merely the westernmost of the Pictish Isles (the northernmost isles being dominated by the "Thurian Celts," actually more closely related in my opinion to the Atlanteans than the Picts), while the labeling of those small isles in the northeast as "Lemuria" on that old map was simply a mistake, Lemuria being thousands of miles further to the east. Atlantis thus stands about where the Canary Islands are in modern times, though it is much larger than those isles. The Kisiwen Islands stand where the Southern Islands of Conan's time are, south and west off the coast of Kaa-u/Nyumbani. The Pictish Isles then stand west of the Thurian Continent, along the central plate fault in the Western Ocean, a long chain from north and west of Thule to far south and west of Atlantis. Beyond those isles stand Antilla (North America) to the west and Mayapan (South America) to the far south and west. Further west of Antilla is Lemuria (Hawaiian Islands), then south and west of Lemuria and west of Mayapan stands Mu (Australia)

That about covers my intepretation of Thurian Age geography...

To Michael430

I'm not sure how much credence I'd give to the 100,000 year dating. If I recall, Gonar the Pict claimed that was how long ago Kull and Brule lived. In the world of oral traditions, that could simpley be Howard-speak for "a long, long time ago".

"The Hyborian Age" essay tells us that either four and a half thousand or five and a half thousand years (depending on how you interpret it) has passed between the Great Cataclysm and the birth of Conan. There is no way you can place the Hyborian Age in 94,000 BC and have the end of the essay make any sense at all.

A careful reading of "The Hyborian Age" shows that the era existed just as the last Ice Age was getting underway. That would make it circa 33,000 BC. Interestingly enough, recent genetic studies seem to indicate that there was a "bottleneck" in prehistory when most of the human race died off due to some sort of cataclysm about 40,000 years ago. So we have an actual "Great Cataclysm" about 38,000 BC and five thousand years later the most recent Ice Age begins.

Sounds like serendipity to me...

To James Mishler

Interesting way to link the Nyumbani stories with the Thurian Age of Kull.

There are a couple of problems with your theory. Where would the City of the Winged One from QUEEN OF THE BLACK COAST be located on Kaa-u/Nyumbani? Where would the Atlantean colony of Negari be? Your theory would need to take those questions into account.

The dark-skinned Grondarians that survived the Great Cataclysm were called the Zhemri and eventually evolved into the Zamoran race. I believe that the statues of the Isle of Iron Statues were probably Grondorians.

The people of Lemuria have saffron-colored skin (descendents are Khitai and Hyrkania), not dark. Mayapan didn't exist during the Thurian Age, the Khari are most likely from Mu. They most likely have dark brown skin since the Khari/Stygians are usually called "dusky-skinned" by Howard.

Mu IS NOT Australia! In Howard's THE ISLE OF EONS, the remnant isle of Mu is described as lying five days sail southeast of Tahiti. The continent is its Thurian Age heyday was probably about the size of Australia (20 major cities) and would have lain to the east/southeast of Lemuria.

The Pictish Isles became the Rocky and Cascade Mountain ranges according to Howard.

If I was going to try to place the Nyumbani stories into Howard's prehistory, I'd place them about 10,000 BC (at the end of the last Ice Age), since the continent of Nyumbani looks almost exactly like modern day Africa. Nyumbani wouldn't be affected by the Ice Age like Europe was and so could have the middle-Age civilization that it sports in the Imaro stories.

To be fair, and in support of your Thurian Age thesis, the Imaro short story, THE CITY OF MADNESS claims that the men of Thule were the allies of the invading Atlanteans.

Interesting post...

Darkstorm wrote:
To Michael430

I'm not sure how much credence I'd give to the 100,000 year dating. If I recall, Gonar the Pict claimed that was how long ago Kull and Brule lived. In the world of oral traditions, that could simpley be Howard-speak for "a long, long time ago".

"The Hyborian Age" essay tells us that either four and a half thousand or five and a half thousand years (depending on how you interpret it) has passed between the Great Cataclysm and the birth of Conan. There is no way you can place the Hyborian Age in 94,000 BC and have the end of the essay make any sense at all.

A careful reading of "The Hyborian Age" shows that the era existed just as the last Ice Age was getting underway. That would make it circa 33,000 BC. Interestingly enough, recent genetic studies seem to indicate that there was a "bottleneck" in prehistory when most of the human race died off due to some sort of cataclysm about 40,000 years ago. So we have an actual "Great Cataclysm" about 38,000 BC and five thousand years later the most recent Ice Age begins.

I did a little researching and learned that "Kings of the Night" was written at least two years prior to Howard's invention of Conan. So you could say that the Hyborian Era really was an "Age undreamed of" for REH when he placed Kull 100,000 into the past.

And that "bottleneck" theory sounds facinating. Google here I come...

DEAR reh scholars + pointless time wasters -
u can all argue the guessing about hyborian trivia till your teeth fall out
it will get u no where !

de camp did a great job of selling conan to the wide world!

the stories stand alone + need no waffle + crude speculation surrounding them !

CROM spits + guffaws on all puny human wind-bags!
write an adventure instead - - - :twisted:
:D
+ this rpg book is average at best.
most of art is cr ap !
design is garbage + NO QUALITY CONTROL !?!
another poor cpi conan licence - - -

Dale,

With all due respect and filial scholarly love and affection, I submit the following waste of time... :)

POINTLESS, you can skip all this and go bother someone in a Pokemon forum... :evil:

There are a couple of problems with your theory. Where would the City of the Winged One from QUEEN OF THE BLACK COAST be located on Kaa-u/Nyumbani? Where would the Atlantean colony of Negari be? Your theory would need to take those questions into account.

As the City of the Winged Ones was right off the bank of the Zarkheba River, which in the time of Kull would have been the Gulf of Ontogi, it would be on an island in the center of the gulf. The island is avoided by sailors of Nyumbani, as those who pass by it in the day hear terrible cries coming from it, and those who pass by in the night tend to lose a watch member or two to unknown entities, who leave no mark on the vessel...

As to Negari, that is simple... it does not yet exist if you set the Nyumbani of Imaro in the same time frame as the Thuria of Kull! For the Atlanteans from Kull’s Atlantis have not yet arisen to their greatest level of power. Negari was founded after the time of Kull, when Atlantis was at its height, just before the cataclysm. I would place Negari at that point on the southern shore of the Ontogi using your south of the Zarkheba theory for the encounter, or on the north shore using the Savage Swords version, in which Conan is going north from the Zarkheba River.

The “Atlanteans of Atlan” of Nyumbani were a different sorcerous island kingdom that predated Kull’s Atlantis. I posit that the “Atlanteans of Atlan” were survivors of ancient Elder Hyperborea (the Hyperborean of Clark Ashton Smith, Eibon, and ca. 1,000,000 - 750,000 BCE), thus being extremely pale skinned, slightly non-human, and mighty in sorcery.

The dark-skinned Grondarians that survived the Great Cataclysm were called the Zhemri and eventually evolved into the Zamorian race. I believe that the statues of the Isle of Iron Statues were probably Grondorians.

I’m pretty sure the Zhemri and the Grondarians are distinct. Howard says in The Hyborian Age “Of the civilized races of the Thurian Continent, a remnant of one of the non-Valusian nations dwells among the mountains of the southeast – the Zhemri.” Grondar in western Thuria (or Western Grondar, as I term it) is a Valusian nation, as Howard attests in The Hyborian Age to it being one of the kingdoms akin to Kamelia, Valusia, and etc. At the very least their language would be Valusian (as Howard attests that the relationship between the Seven Kingdoms is hypothesized based upon a “similar language, arguing a similar origin”), while their culture would be a mix of Valusian and Grondarian, though physically they remain a Grondarian race, related to the people of Elder Cush. Had the Zhemri been Grondarian, Howard would not have stated explicitly that they were “non-Valusian.”

I’d also say the statues of that isle were actually Muvians (see my other post) as the description fits them exactly.

The people of Lemuria have saffron-colored skin (descendants are Khitai and Hyrkania), not dark.

Yes, by the time of Conan they certainly do. However, think on this: the Atlanteans were a brown skinned race, attested to by the skin tones of Kull and Conan, as well as the testimony of the captive in THE MOON OF SKULLS. If you accept the origin of the human race as being upon Eldest Lemuria, that is, the Lemuria of Thongor as told by Lin Carter (which, knowing your dislike for the pastiches he wrote, you probably do not, though it is an accepted part of the greater Cthulhu Mythos of which Conan and Kull are a part), therein the humans were brown skinned, and thus the first race of man was brown.

Mu IS NOT Australia! In Howard's THE ISLE OF EONS, the remnant isle of Mu is described as lying five days sail southeast of Tahiti. The continent is its Thurian Age heyday was probably about the size of Australia (20 major cities) and would have lain to the east/southeast of Lemuria.

While I find most of your interpretations to be spot on, I think your interpretation of the information presented in THE ISLE OF EONS is not quite right, though that is not your fault, as the story itself is not completely consistent itself. First, concerning the location of the isle, the ship was not five days out from Tahiti; it was a nameless number of days, it had traveled “days on end” through “nameless seas, long leagues off the trade routes” is how it is termed, certainly not just five days. And that was before it was driven by the hurricane. Second, all the hard information presented was from the half-understood translations of the Dutchman, who admitted “... there is many words in the writings that I cannot translate.” One of those I am sure is the name of the god Poseidon; he had personally hypothesized that this was a land dedicated to Poseidon before he had the scroll, and I think he just used that name as a marker for a name he did not understand (Dagon, perhaps, or even maybe Cthulhu?). Second, it is never really firmly established whether they are on the ruins of Lemuria or Mu, or even which version of those eponymous kingdoms the scroll is speaking of. At first the Dutchman thinks it is Lemuria, then he translates the name as Mu. I think Howard wasn’t quite sure where they were, either. Finally, Nayah mentions that the people of Valusia worship serpents, “where men bowed to the Serpent as they did in the youth of the earth,” in other words, abjectly. This was certainly not so in Kull’s time. The Lemuria/Mu of EONS therefore predates the Lemuria/Mu of Kull’s time.

I argue that the Mu of EONS is not the Mu of the time of Kull, it is a “kingdom of Mu” that predates Kull. The disaster that sank and destroyed the kingdom of Mu did not necessarily sink the entire continent upon which Mu was found; the high places of Valla were the last remnants of that kingdom which stood above the waves, nowhere is it mentioned that they are the last remnants of the continent. Australia, the Mu of Kull’s time, could well be a remnant of that Elder Mu, which spawned the Mu of the time of Kull. The descendants of Elder Mu would have settled this remnant of the continent and named it after their homeland of Mu, during the time after the sinking of the kingdom when “South they went and east and west and north.” Or the younger Mu could have been a new continent in the time of Kull, as when the people of Valla went forth “...they abode on islands and found strange, new continents hurled out of the deeps.” There were no new continents thrust up after the Cataclysm, but in a localized Pacific Ocean cataclysm that could certainly well have happened. Plus, his mention of Atlantis could be a reference to the Elder Hyperborean Atlan of Nyumbani, which above I posit predated the Atlantis of Kull by a thousand years. Perhaps the same religious backlash that ended Elder Mu also led to the end of Atlan. This would place the fall of this Mu around the same time as the fall of Atlan, about 1000 years before Kull’s time.

BTW, my source for ISLE OF EONS is the 1979 Glenn Lord version in THE GODS OF BAL-SAGOTH; perhaps your source is a different manuscript; there are three versions at least, none of which Howard was ever satisfied enough with to complete.

The Pictish Isles became the Rocky and Cascade Mountain ranges according to Howard.

Ah, yes, but to have regular relations with Picts, as Kull, Atlantis, and Valusia did, there would have to be no less than two if not three ranges of “Pictish Isles.” The Western (Rocky Mountains), Central (Appalachian Mountains), and Eastern (Atlantic Ridge) are what I have posited. The primitive Picts did not, could not have had the technology to make regular raiding trips from the equivalent of Denver to the Canary Islands (or even the Azores). There had to be several series of islands, whereby the Picts would have spread from the Western islands (where they settled originally, colonists from Elder Lemuria), over centuries and millennia as did the later Polynesians, from isle to isle, until they arrived at the Easternmost isles, in regular striking distance of Atlantis and the Valusian coastline. It boggles the mind that every Pictish raid on Atlantis would require a journey halfway around the world... even had they galleons, such a journey would require no less than six month’s time, if they merely went and counted coup! And the Picts did not have galleons...

If I was going to try to place the Nyumbani stories into Howard's prehistory, I'd place them about 10,000 BC (at the end of the last Ice Age), since the continent of Nyumbani looks almost exactly like modern day Africa. Nyumbani wouldn't be affected by the Ice Age like Europe was and so could have the middle-Age civilization that it sports in the Imaro stories.

Realize, 10,000 BC is the exact same time as Conan; the southern portion of the Thurian Continent as far south as modern Zaire is well mapped out by Howard, with no room to add Nyumbani in that time frame. The best, most logical place for it is in the time of Kull.

To be fair, and in support of your Thurian Age thesis, the Imaro short story, THE CITY OF MADNESS claims that the men of Thule were the allies of the invading Atlanteans.

Which fits right in with the time frame I’ve worked out. Thule very well could have existed a thousand years before the time of Kull. With the early Atlan of that time frame being an Elder Hyperborean realm known for its sorcerous powers, and the people of Thule having a strong H. hyperboreanus bloodline, a sorcerous alliance could well have existed. Perhaps Thule was more powerful in that day.

Back