Cyberpunk reading list

Shadetree

Mongoose
Good site. Pick a genre you like and it will show a list of all related scifi'ish books.

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/thisthat.html

or straight to the 239 listed Cyberpunk books

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/thisthat.html#cyber

Oh, and thanks Shadetree, this list is really useful as I started building my collection of Scifi and Cyberpunk novels.
:)

Links work fine now. Sometimes my wireless connection gets screwy. These are some excellent suggestions, having read some of the before. I plan on reading a good portion of these books. I printed out the list, and I intend to take it to the library next weekend, and put aside some serious reading time.

Shadetree said:
or straight to the 239 listed Cyberpunk books

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/thisthat.html#cyber

AWESOME! Thanks Shadetree! Surprised that The Matrix isn't listed here... there's been a collection of comics in Trade Paperback that I'd consider essential material for the Wachowski brother's view of a cyberpunk alternate reality.

Thanks for the link!

- Stratos

I was thinking, how about we all give a very(!) short review of the books we use? I mean, it's a great list, but I still don't know if they're worth buying. So a short summary of our favorite cyberpunk inspirations would be cool. Anyone with me on this one? Naturally I'll hand something in as well...

- Sonny

When writing material for the CyberNet soundtrack I read everything I could get my hands on by Gibson & Dick. I also watched all cooresponding movies based on either's work. I also watched A.I. twice and the Matrix Trilogy over, and over, and over - especially Animatrix!

But... back to books... I find Gibson hard to stay focused on. I love his ideas but it's not casual reading for me. My mind drifts. I'm used to Star Wars novels and Harry Potter... where I know a lot of it already. Gibson leaves lots out sometimes (part of the gem of things I suppose).

I find Dick to be much better. And his movies are generally better. The only one I still haven't seen is Paycheck. Out on DVD at the end of the month!

And of course... I was reading the OGL CyberNet Sourcebook back in late October! :)

- Stratos

Shadetree you rock! While the titles could have had a little more in-depth description of the books, those lists will definetely influence my future reading. Thank you, my brutha!

Finding good cyberpunk has proven difficult, nothing I've read so far has come close to Gibson. There's writers on that list whose other non-CP works I've read before and know are good, I'll check those out first.

That pile of unread books will be getting bigger. :wink:

Try checking out Richard Morgan. I stumbled upon him by pure chance, and it turns out it's very cool sci-fi with a great cyberpunk feeling. There's this grim feelign to it all, that I think comes really close to Blade Runner. His first novel "Altered Carbon" is actually where I've stolen most of my ideas from.

- Sonny

sonny sixshooter said:
Try checking out Richard Morgan. I stumbled upon him by pure chance, and it turns out it's very cool sci-fi with a great cyberpunk feeling. There's this grim feelign to it all, that I think comes really close to Blade Runner. His first novel "Altered Carbon" is actually where I've stolen most of my ideas from.

- Sonny

And the book pile will get bigger still.

sonny sixshooter said:
I mean, it's a great list, but I still don't know if they're worth buying.
To save loads of cash, you could always do like Golem and borrow them at your public library... That is, IF you have a good one in your area... :roll: (Preaching for my church, as I'm a librarian, you see?) :p

BTW, in my turf, a local author named Alain Bergeron took 15 years to write "Phaos", which is considered the first cyberpunk novel "made in Quebec". It just got published and already won an award. It is set in 2086, close enough to the setting books being designed by Stratos and Kiln... As usual, mega-corporations has pushed the governments to bankruptcy. The moon has been colonized, but famine looms as food supplies geets harder to find. The MIT (Moon Institute of Technology) developped a super software dubbed "Phaos" which should solve the food problem. Thor Corp is about to buy it to reign supreme, but of course a traitor steals the program. A race follows as Synbad (a rival corp) and Thor tries to recapture it. Of course there's much more to it, but I'll have to read it. Also, I don't want to bore anybody, so I'll stop.

Anyway, I'm off to read. In librarianship studies, we have a saying : So many books, so little time. :twisted:

Back