Cults of Glorantha

PhilHibbs

Mongoose
Can't wait to get some time to bury my head in this book.

Some nice stuff on Eurmal, shame most of the classic divine spells aren't there such as Lie, Swallow, and Become (). I had lots of fun with Become Pair of Smoking Boots. Cast it when someone Disrupts you and see the look on their face!

Lots of quite large grimoires, anyone settling for a custom one with only 4 spells in it is losing out in a big way. Especially considering Malkioni True Church adepts get every core rulebook spell (up to their INT, of course) in a single grimoire!

PhilHibbs said:
Especially considering Malkioni True Church adepts get every core rulebook spell (up to their INT, of course) in a single grimoire!

You've found an error. The text should read:

Higher Magic
All the sorcery spells found in the RuneQuest Core Rules and this book are found within the Abiding Book. However, the True Malkioni Grimoire only accesses the following.

Abjure (Sleep, Food, Water), Banish, Castback, Damage Enhancement, Damage Resistance, Dominate (Unbeliever), Enhance (INT), Fly, Haste, Hinder, Intuition, Mystic Vision, Neutralise Magic, Spell Resistance, Sense (Unbeliever), Spirit Resistance, Treat Wounds.

I've also found another error too, so I'll start an errata sticky.

Sorry about this. It was spotted in playtesting and a correction issued; looks like it got overlooked.

Loz said:
PhilHibbs said:
Especially considering Malkioni True Church adepts get every core rulebook spell (up to their INT, of course) in a single grimoire!

You've found an error. The text should read:

Higher Magic
All the sorcery spells found in the RuneQuest Core Rules and this book are found within the Abiding Book. However, the True Malkioni Grimoire only accesses the following.

Abjure (Sleep, Food, Water), Banish, Castback, Damage Enhancement, Damage Resistance, Dominate (Unbeliever), Enhance (INT), Fly, Haste, Hinder, Intuition, Mystic Vision, Neutralise Magic, Spell Resistance, Sense (Unbeliever), Spirit Resistance, Treat Wounds.

Still quite a chunky grimoire.

Oh, indeed. This is the True Malkioni Church, and they have the defining access to the Abiding Book...

Project Intuition is a spell that Hadmalism teaches. It also teaches the spell Intuition, but that needs to be cast on a specific individual. Are the two related, or does Project Intuition just allow you to project your... er... intuition, so you cast it and float it down the street and get a general feeling for what's going on out there?

PhilHibbs said:
... does Project Intuition just allow you to project your... er... intuition, so you cast it and float it down the street and get a general feeling for what's going on out there?
I take it as doing so. It's quite a handy spell.

But... in a game, you can ask the GM "What can I see?" "What can I hear?", you can't exactly ask "What does my intuition tell me?" That's something that your mind does with its sensory input - comes to conclusions and makes guesses and has hunches based on sensory input. Intuition isn't something you can ask the GM for.

PhilHibbs said:
But... in a game, you can ask the GM "What can I see?" "What can I hear?", you can't exactly ask "What does my intuition tell me?" That's something that your mind does with its sensory input - comes to conclusions and makes guesses and has hunches based on sensory input. Intuition isn't something you can ask the GM for.

Let me quote from the 'Intuition' spell in the RQII Core Rules (emphasis mine):

Intuition allows a sorcerer to discern the emotions and motives of the target, as if he had made a successful Insight roll.

Project Intuition therefore becomes incredibly handy for discerning the emotions and motives of distant, unseen or unseeable targets. Its not about sensory input or hunches; its about reading emotions and intentions.

Loz said:
Project Intuition therefore becomes incredibly handy for discerning the emotions and motives of distant, unseen or unseeable targets. Its not about sensory input or hunches; its about reading emotions and intentions.

I don't get it. I see what you are trying to achieve, but I don't see how this makes it possible. I can't picture how this would be used in a game.

You can't target a spell through an emotion or an intention, and even if you could, you aren't getting any emotion or intent information until you have successfully targeted and cast Intuition and beaten the target's resistance roll, so how can you target someone through their emotions?

OK, you're in your house, and you have two visitors outside the door. You want to know if either of them are hostile. Can you just cast Intuition & Project Intuition (with Combine & Targets), and affect both of them? Or do you Project Intuition first, and then cast Intuition through the projected "sense", like you might cast Project Sight then Wrack? If you only want to affect one of them, how do you pick a target? Intuition is not a sense, so projecting it doesn't tell you which is the noble and which is the servant or how many ninjas are hiding under their robes. This spell is a big bag of unanswered questions.

I think Project (Intuition) would work best when combined with Project (Sight) so you can tell who you're using intuition on?

And, as an aside... a great book, Loz! :)

Say you want to know whether someone in the guild meeting that you have applied for a monopoly licence from, has it in for you... you might already know who is there and that they are talking about you, but not how they think of you.

Project (Intuition) would be helpful. Project (Hearing) might be too... but you might not know it.

Also, Project (Intuition) is far more easy to deny in the face of magical divination... you heard nothing after all (and they might not think to enquire about "feelings").

Lord High Munchkin said:
Say you want to know whether someone in the guild meeting that you have applied for a monopoly licence from, has it in for you... you might already know who is there and that they are talking about you, but not how they think of you.

Project (Intuition) would be helpful. Project (Hearing) might be too... but you might not know it.
Just the basic Intuition spell will do that.

Yes, but as a Projected spell, it can move and also be used as a "forward observer" to cast spells through.

Hmm, they seem a bit hostile... a multi targeted Smother seems in order!

I just got a copy of the book and started going through it. One question is why Uleria became soley a goddess of sensual/sexual love, with most of her followers being ladies of the night? In other iterations of the game, her worship was also described as equally mystical, dealing with more subtle forms of love. It was odd seeing this taken to the lowest common denominator when other gods were expanded upon.

Are there many differences betweens Cults of Glorantha II and the 3 books of the first edition (Cults of Glorantha vol 1 + 2 + Magic of Glorantha)?

PhilHibbs said:
Page 211, Eurmal, Gifts, Innate Luck... wow. Double chance of crit on all skills, for the bargain cost of 1 POW.

Double chance of crit on all skills, and about +15% success chance :shock:
It's the better gift in the book !
It's must be an error ? I can't let my players takes this gift... It's too powerful !
Better than lots of other feats, and more easily accessible

Ellcrys said:
PhilHibbs said:
Page 211, Eurmal, Gifts, Innate Luck... wow. Double chance of crit on all skills, for the bargain cost of 1 POW.

Double chance of crit on all skills, and about +15% success chance :shock:
It's the better gift in the book !
It's must be an error ? I can't let my players takes this gift... It's too powerful !
Better than lots of other feats, and more easily accessible

One of the PCs in a Living Glorantha scenario had this and my first thought was "that's too powerful" but it didn't really make a lot of difference.

It compensates for being an Eurmali.

Back