Crushed Atlantean Edition

Zeus said:
Good I was too lazy to get my ass to the post office and send the AE ordering form. I guess I'll wait a little longer, just to ensure I won't get a damaged book.

PS. I don't have a suitable credit card (only Visa Electron), but my friend has one. Is it possible for me to order AE using his card (with permission, calm down ;))? Do I have to write his name and adress on the form then? And if I do, what about the 60% discount (it's on my name and e-mail)?

Cannot take Visa Election our credit card people do not accept this one. We can take cheques in UK or USA currency. (No Money Orders Please).

I would also like to say that these damages are the exception rather than the standard. Out of the ones we have sent so far we have only heard about damages on this list.

A small percentage and even so we will try to stop any damages happening in the future.

Regards
Bob

A small percentage and even so we will try to stop any damages happening in the future.

Okay not trying to be smart Bob but if you want to prevent this happening why not try posting them out in more than brown wrapping paper!

It is only commen sense that most items are going to go through some kind of sorting method or at least chucked into a van for delivery this can be avoided by protecting the item with a small amount of bubble wrapp or a padded envelope.

just for the record I can still read and use my copy but I am slightly annoyed that it was sent out in such a sloppy manner, Mongoose have always been very good regarding the sons programme and maybe a few of us have recieved a slightly damaged item but it all could have been avoided so easily.

Now I have an original with cut out corner and an Atlantean edition with bashed edges and corners.

At least I wont get into any trouble with the computer as my Paranoia XP is perfect.....anyone says any different and I will report them for treason. :wink:

Camelon75 said:
...commen sense ...

"common sense" ;)

Give 'em a break. Mongoose is already discounting us in a huge way. They don't have to offer the revised edition at a cut price at all.

That said, a good wrap is simple cardboard boxes cut to size and folded around the book. Very durable.

Question: Is the Atlantean Edition solicited to retailers yet, or is it just the "special trade in offer" that's available righht now? Reason I ask is I almost feel okay just spending the extra to get one at my local store rather than take over seas shipping into account for the trade in.

Sutek said:
Question: Is the Atlantean Edition solicited to retailers yet, or is it just the "special trade in offer" that's available righht now? Reason I ask is I almost feel okay just spending the extra to get one at my local store rather than take over seas shipping into account for the trade in.

I think Mongoose ship US orders from their warehouse in the US, even though the order has to go to the UK. I know a lot of the UK stuff ships from the US.

One of the problems getting hold of the Atlantean Edition as a retailer is that the book uses the exact same product code as the old one. Not sure if the ISBN is different, but my distributor uses product codes not ISBN numbers :( It's probably easier for those who get theirs through bookstore distributors rather than game store distributors.

So the most likely answer is even if it is available to retailers, every distributor will keep shipping the older edition to retailers until they either run out or get complaints about it :( (unless Mongoose are doing a product recall on it)

mthomason said:
(unless Mongoose are doing a product recall on it)

Which I wouldn't think likely. I wouldnt' want to eat that cost plus the 60% they're giving on the AE upgrade/swap deal.

Sutek said:
Camelon75 said:
...commen sense ...

"common sense" ;)

Give 'em a break. Mongoose is already discounting us in a huge way. They don't have to offer the revised edition at a cut price at all.

Don't get me wrong I am not looking for any further discount or freebies from Mongoose, All I am suggesting is that if they are going to send out there wonderful products do it in some kind of protected covering like you said some cardboard wrap would have absorbed most of the damage. :)

:lol: Yeah and that was not a spelling mistake on "commen" I was just illustrating how you can start a new word through "commen" usage :oops:

Mortepierre said:
iltharanos said:
Off-topic
-Hey Morte, are you the same Mortepierre that's on the Wizards' boards?

On-topic
-Is this just a problem with the Atlantean edition or does it affect other books ordered via the mail? I was considering pre-ordering some books online but now that I hear about these banged up copies it makes me wonder if I shouldn't just wait until it hits the bookshelves.

The one and the same friend, I recognize your own name from the DL forum :wink:

Sweet, it's somehow always amazing when you recognize a fellow poster on an unrelated gaming board. :D

Personally, I order most books either through Amazon or Leisure Games. Never had a problem with the first and the second delivered a few books with slightly bashed corners but otherwise fine.

Hmm, that'll work as a plan of action if/when I decide to order online. On a somewhat related matter I just picked up my copy of the Scrolls of Skelos that my FLGS ordered for me. Oh such a sweet magic book. :twisted:

mthomason said:
So the most likely answer is even if it is available to retailers, every distributor will keep shipping the older edition to retailers until they either run out or get complaints about it :( (unless Mongoose are doing a product recall on it)
Not 100% sure but IIRC they already sold out the entire first print run a while back. This book has been very popular. So any new orders placed by retailers and distrubitors ought to be for the AE.

argo said:
Not 100% sure but IIRC they already sold out the entire first print run a while back. This book has been very popular. So any new orders placed by retailers and distrubitors ought to be for the AE.

We did sell out and it has been unavaiable to Distributors for maybe 1-2 months. I expect that most Distributors sold out of the original Conan, as it became a very requested item.

Where you have to be careful are the retail/web shops. Some of these could easily be carrying the old edition. I would recommend asking whihc version before completing on any sale.

I ask because I'm pretty tight with one of my local shops and was infoming them that there was in fact a new edition. Later last month two volumes of the old version popped up on their shelves and the owner said he wasn't aware of a different version to those. Now that could be a result of Diamond (the distributor) still having old versions in stacks and that would stink.

I guess I'mm e-mail in and try to get the new version that way. I can't make head nor tale of the wacky British street adresses and e-mail would serve to expidite my getting the AE version anyway. Yes?

Thanks for all the info, Mongeese...:D

Could anyone offer some sort of timeframe for the delivery of the new edition, I sent of a cheque with the form some weeks ago but have yet to hear anything. I would appreciate some sort of response.

Okies, I'm in the UK and mine only took about 8 days to arrive. I paid by card and got an email from Worldpay two days ago, so I had prior warning it was on it's way.

It arrived today. The book itself was taped in paper before being packed in a box with my fluffy mongoose (all together, now - AWWWWW, it's so cute!) and everything was in 100% condition. My only complaint is that it was so well packed I had to spend five minutes cutting my way carefully into the paper around the book so as not to damage it myself. I don't think I could have asked for better packaging :)

Finally got my AE edition on Sept 16th and it was packed very well from a Canadian location with bubble wrap/padding around the book in a sturdy box that was taped shut with packaging tape. No damage that is of any concern and looks great.

Received mine last week, in a tightly bubble wrapped box.
Sorry the forerunners got 'crushed' copies, but thanks Mongoose for listening up and changing the packaging!

The new (08/2004) Atlantean edition uses the same ISBN # (ISBN: 1-904577-69-5) as the old edition (01/2004).

This makes it somewhat difficult to buy the correct version online or in a brick-and-mortar store.

Is there an easy way tell the version without removing possible shrink-wraps? Some stores discourage such behaviour. Changes on the cover?

As a continental European customer, I am not interesting in ordering this product directly from Mongoose. No insult intended.

dummnutzer said:
Is there an easy way tell the version without removing possible shrink-wraps? Some stores discourage such behaviour. Changes on the cover?

Yep, it states "Atlantean Edition" in big writing across the bottom of the front cover, so as long as you're able to view it in-store you should be okay :)

Back