Creating additional professions

K Peterson

Banded Mongoose
After reading through MRQ2 I've been tempted to generate more professions to suit my upcoming Sword & Sorcery-themed campaign. I'm going to run a low-magic (Sorcery-only) campaign so I want to strip out any magic-using professions and substitute in a few other: Herbalists, for example, ... and possibly a few from my copy of AH-RQ3.

I'm curious if there are any guidelines for generating professions. (Is there a release planned that will provide more?). I found a thread from 3 weeks ago, titled "Cultural Backgrounds" that gave some advice on adding/tweaking culture types. It'd be great to have the same for professions.

I've been doing exactly the same for Lankhmar having recovered from what in retrospect might have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction on finding it didn't work fully with the new RQ2 rules.

All professions in RQ2 have 50 percentage points to distribute amongst skills and if used magic with an advanced skill (gained at base percentage or at a bonus of 10% if already known) or a magic skill counting as 10% against this total. It is unusual for a skill to be increased by more than 10% by a profession but not unknown.

In my conversion of Lankhmar Unleased (ie a classic Swords and Sorcery setting) I've found that the RQ2 cultures and professions work very well after stripping out the non-sorcery magic professions and the Champion/Knight/Noble Warrior profession, converting across half a dozen professions (eg Courtesan and Charlatan) and adding in a Slave profession (rather than as in LU having it as a Background)

EDIT : If there is any interest (and it is OK with the mods) I can post my LU notes on Cultures, Professions and RQ2/LU character generation. However these would be in the form of converting LU information where it already exists and adding to it, therefore may be of limited use unless you have the LU supplement.

Back