Could B5 be played on a Hex Map?

you can recreate 90 arcs on a hex map if you use hexpoint facing and movement as well. FASA's Tactical Starship Combat Simulator game had a variation for this.

Chern

Didn't the 1st Ed. ACTA have hex map optional rules to begin with? I could be wrong but I remember my friend offering this to us when we first demoed the game.

Hex maps is a little more exact than free movement based games- helps with people with shaky hands or prevents cheaters from 'nudging' minis a tad further than usual. Just making an observation... I'm neither pro or con... just throwing it out there...

Squares rather than hexes gives you your 45 degree turns, boresight can be worked out of you've passed through the position of an adrift ship or a ship that has already moved. Arcs and ranges are easily worked out as is movement (some rounding likely depending on square size)- the diagonal question I would take a leaf out of Peter Pigs rulesets and say the first costs normal, thereafter double. Hotz Mats do a 2" square grid which I was hoping to pick up - been a bit slow tho :-(.

Measuring can be an issue, and these models have a habit of falling over or getting otherwise knocked - a grid of some kind reduces replacement imperfections and removes the need for a ruler to hover over someone's beautifully painted ships.

friendlyfire said:
Didn't the 1st Ed. ACTA have hex map optional rules to begin with? I could be wrong but I remember my friend offering this to us when we first demoed the game.

ACTA never had Hexes, although its predecessor, Babylon5 Wars, used them - if you want to convert a hex-based acta, it might be worth looking at how facing and firing arcs had been handeled in B5W if you can get a copy of the rules (ebay?).

Note though that the two games are very different, so I wouldn´t expect more than some inspiration...

Gregor said:
Measuring can be an issue, and these models have a habit of falling over or getting otherwise knocked - a grid of some kind reduces replacement imperfections and removes the need for a ruler to hover over someone's beautifully painted ships.

While these are valid points, in my experience such "imperfections" normally just don´t have any real influence on the game - a few millimeters or some little deviation of a few degrees shouldn´t make a difference as long as you don´t take gaming 150% seriously .

Besides, I personally find a grid both ugly and unatmospheric, but that might be just me...

But as this is not a dicussion thread of whether a hexgrid makes sense or not, I won´t get deeper into this. If you really want a grid, It would be easier to use squares (or octagons, although those might be hard to get hold of) to convert CTA from measurement to grid.

I had thought about squares as well - the problem with them are that moving from the flats of the squares as opposed to the points you would move faster overall.

I agree that a grid does ruin the atmosphere as well.

Thanks!

Back