Core Rulebook Update 2022 FAQ

MongooseMatt said:
Surge said:
I've also just watched Seth's video on Ship Construction, and must say I'm extremely disappointed to see at the end the mess that is the ship cost across all the books.

Check the comments on that video - Seth found the 10% discount for standard designs after he made the video.

Oh sweet. Thank you for that. Sorry for jumping the gun on that point.

My suggestion is that when High Guard gets reprinted, that's mentioned in the notes.

I'm guessing that software doesn't get the ten percent discount.

Condottiere said:
We could always pirate it.

I'm almost certain that the Vargr would.

Not saying it can't be done but... how?

To quote p106 (Equipment chapter / Software) of the 2016 Core Rule Book :-
"Software packages of more than 1 Bandwidth cannot be copied easily, as they require a non-trivial amount of bandwidth to transfer."

Staying within the confines of stated Traveller computer performance, you can image the programme on a computer with double the bandwidth of said programme, and transfer it to the next one.

IanBruntlett said:
Condottiere said:

"Software packages of more than 1 Bandwidth cannot be copied easily, as they require a non-trivial amount of bandwidth to transfer."
Steal the ship yard's transfer equipment... or buy off the guy who does the transfers and have him spec a duplicate machine for you.

So when I spotted the below I thought it was an error...

Hull Damage: Each lost Hull point can be replaced with a Routine (6+) Mechanic check (1 hour, INT or EDU), consuming one ton of spare parts.

However, that's what it states in the FAQ. In the previous book, one ton of spare parts repaired 10 Hull. Have ships suddenly become 10x more expensive to repair? and not just cost too, the amount of space taken up by spare parts would be untenable.

Arkathan said:
IanBruntlett said:
Condottiere said:

Steal the ship yard's transfer equipment... or buy off the guy who does the transfers and have him spec a duplicate machine for you.

If your going to steal something from a shipyard, find a ship with the software your looking for. ;)

In my game I have software come on its own data chips.

The idea crystallised from wafer jacks having software chips that plug in. it made sense to me that computers had the same. The would be no downloading software. It would be easy to transfer between machines, but no real chance to duplicate. Each chip could have custom protection from tampering and duplicating.

PCs would have at least one slot per bandwidth, ships computers would have access to more. Software would be cumulative in that you need the level 1 chip to be able to run the level 2 chip etc.

In theory, you could have the data encrypted.

In practice, that doesn't last long.

At least, on the time scale we're operating at.

Also jump/control factor one would be open sourced by now, if not operable on Linux.

Another errata that needs to be added to the errata download:

p. 194, the Free Trader.

The power requirements of the Basic Ship Systems and Jump Drive are swapped.

This error was introduced in High Guard, and somehow found its way into the 2022 CRB, even though it is correct in my copy of the regular CRB.

Also, can you please date ALL PDFs (both full products and erratas) in the filenames. This is pretty rudimentary stuff.

Can I ask whether the cost of the TL 11 Laser Pistol power pack is an error? At Cr3,000 it's the only one not lower than the cost of the actual weapon which we've found suspicious...

Can I ask whether the cost of the TL 11 Laser Pistol power pack is an error? At Cr3,000 it's the only one not lower than the cost of the actual weapon which we've found suspicious...
Not an error, but perhaps suspicious and worthy of review. It's been 3000 through all the MgT v2 books, but looking back at MgT v1, of which I only have hard copies and no errata sheets, the hardback says it's 350 in both the v1 Core and CSC, and the v1 pocket rulebook says its 3,500 and I don't like either of those numbers... Cr1500 would probably be the most appropriate, but that's just an opinion, not a correction.

FYI, the Free Trader Power Requirements (page 194) are still not corrected in the PDFs after over a year of pointing out the mistake. They should be 40, 20, 20, 1. They still say 20, 20, 40, 1.

And please please please rename all of your downloadable PDFs using a proper document management system naming schema. And include the identifier within the document as well.

Back