Constitution less important.

Well, in D&D Constitution was just about a no brainer when you chose the increase an ability. Not only would it make your Fort saves better, at higher level you would get many hitpoints more. Conan changes all that.

For instance, a 20th level wizard(or any other class) who increased thier Con from 18 to 20 would gain not only a better Fort save but 20 more hp!

In Conan the gain for that same move from a Scholar(or any other class) can only ever be a max of 10.

All of a sudden, other abilities are starting to look like they might be worth taking again.

As deadly as combat is in Conan, I make make good Con very high on my list.

Not gaining the benefits after 10th level is moot if you don't survive that long!

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
Maybe, but the save didn't strike as that hard to make.

I thought the massive damage save was 10 + half damage dealt? If you get with a bardiche critical by a guy with 18 STR you will take 6d10+6 damage. Even half that will be outlandish under average circumstances, depending on your level. If you fail and drop to -1, and your foe is a 2nd level or higher pirate, he will 99% likely insta-kill you with a free coup de grace. :twisted:

Perhaps... but do you want to risk failing? It will rankle the most at mid levels where the PC's have enough hit points to take a 20 point stab without just dropping from normal HP loss... but then add in the random chance of just dropping outright... it makes Con deadly important.

And the minimum DC of a damage save is going to be 20 regardless... not a gimme.

-B

Iron_Chef said:
If you fail and drop to -1,

Actually, take a look at the first entry in the Compiled Answers thread, including Mongoose's response:

Mongoose Errata/Answers
:?: Massive damage. One area of the rules says that if you fail your save you're reduced to -1 hps. Another are says that if you fail your save you die. Which is correct?

MongoosePaul said:
If a character fails his massive damage check he is dead, unless he spends a fate point, in which case he's 'left for dead'.

I think I might go with the -1 though, means less frequent Fate Point use, and since I don't plan to give out many, I don't want a situation where they *have* to get used for that.

Iron_Chef said:
If you fail and drop to -1
Didn't Mongoose Paul clarify that massive damage actually kills you (drops your hp to -10) if you fail your Fort save unless you spend a fate point to be left for dead?

Edit: Slaughterj beat me to it. :lol:

MichaelH said:
Iron_Chef said:
If you fail and drop to -1
Didn't Mongoose Paul clarify that massive damage actually kills you (drops your hp to -10) if you fail your Fort save unless you spend a fate point to be left for dead?

Edit: Slaughterj beat me to it. :lol:

:lol:

Back