Conan system?

Terrible Tim

Mongoose
Hello,
I am thinking of buying the Conan RPG game (I haven't played RPG for years). I was just wondering what type of system does it use? Is it D20 or does it use it's own rule system? What are the good and bad points?

Thanks for your help.
TT.

Terrible Tim said:
Hello,
I am thinking of buying the Conan RPG game (I haven't played RPG for years). I was just wondering what type of system does it use? Is it D20 or does it use it's own rule system? What are the good and bad points?

Thanks for your help.
TT.

It's a modified version of d20. Greatly improved IMO. Instead of AC you have a Defense Value based on Parry or Dodge. Your Armor provides Damage Reduction instead of giving AC. Most weapons do more damage in the Conan system. There are rules in the Conan system such as Fate Points that give the system a more Conan-esque feel. Low magic, higher Ability Scores for PCs. Combat Maneuvers inspired from the Conan stories.

Only disadvantage I've noticed is NPC creation can be time-consuming, though some players have created methods to speed this up.

It has been mine and my players favorite system for 2+ years now. YMMV. :)

More or less what flatscan said; note however that this version is a bit "heavier" than standard D&D 3 due to the introduction of some elements which make combat more complex (which some people like, some other, like me, not).
If you like rules-light games, then it is not for you. If the last game you played is Classic D&D or AD&D, then you are in for a shock at the huge amount of rules of d20 Conan (and D&D 3).
Although I would say that for the background and presentation and ideas alone at least the core book is worth purchasing.

Combat is much deadlier and faster. If you like high magic, super fantastic powergaming, Conan is not for you. But if you like a gritty, rough and tumble world that has a nice blend between role-playing and hack and slash, Conan is perfect. The system as a whole is more "realistic"/gruesome than D&D.

One of the best aspects of the game that I like are a system called "Fate Points." They can be used for players to participate in the story telling and direct the future of the game to some degree.

A very good list of differences between the systems:
http://www.yandros.com/RPG/Conan/ConanRPGvsDnD.htm

rabindranath72 said:
More or less what flatscan said; note however that this version is a bit "heavier" than standard D&D 3 due to the introduction of some elements which make combat more complex (which some people like, some other, like me, not).
If you like rules-light games, then it is not for you. If the last game you played is Classic D&D or AD&D, then you are in for a shock at the huge amount of rules of d20 Conan (and D&D 3).
Although I would say that for the background and presentation and ideas alone at least the core book is worth purchasing.
Really?? It's not that much more complex in my opinion. It's just different enough that you can't instantly integrate it/adapt from D&D because none of the feats/spells are named the same. But for the most part it's "the same".

Paladin said:
rabindranath72 said:
Really?? It's not that much more complex in my opinion. It's just different enough that you can't instantly integrate it/adapt from D&D because none of the feats/spells are named the same. But for the most part it's "the same".
Well, once you factor-in the various defences, damage reduction, finesse, maneuvers etc. it gets more difficult. Since the basis is the same, but Conan adds lots more bits, it inevitably gets more complex.

Paladin said:
Combat is much deadlier and faster...

Um, not in my experience. :? :( Deadlier? Perhaps. Faster? Definitely not.
A single combat scenario could take an entire session to do all the tactical manuoevres and calculations properly. As many, many other people have noted before, d20 is roll playing and not role playing.

d20 is like watching an exciting, explosion-filled action movie...but in very slo-mo at 1/8th or 1/16th speed. :shock: :lol: At that slow pace you get to appreciate those small details in the scenes, but can't get caught up in the flow of the story, and story has to be more important than the satisfaction of getting through the complicated mechanics, IMNSHO.

FailedSpotCheck said:
d20 is like watching an exciting, explosion-filled action movie...but in very slo-mo at 1/8th or 1/16th speed. :shock: :lol: At that slow pace you get to appreciate those small details in the scenes, but can't get caught up in the flow of the story, and story has to be more important than the satisfaction of getting through the complicated mechanics, IMNSHO.

Not in my game. I give the players 6 seconds to move their piece, and declare their action(s). Then they roll their attack and damage at the same time. A single PC turn goes by in about 20 seconds through these methods. Deadly and fast! :twisted:

roll playing and not role playing.

By Crom i hate that damn term.

A single combat scenario could take an entire session to do all the tactical manuoevres and calculations properly.

How big a battle are we talking about here? I dont use miniatures in my game and i only occasionally actually draw a layout of the battle ground for my players. addition and subtraction arent particularly hard calculations to make when they rarely ever go above 40 and all the relevent info a player needs should be on their character sheet.

Well, once you factor-in the various defences, damage reduction, finesse, maneuvers etc.

the various defences should be recorded on the character sheet, so no factoring in needs to be done(except combat circumstances but they've always exsisted). dr isnt that new cause that exsists in 3ed from spells, magic items and monsters. finesse exsists in 3ed aswell, the only addition is beating the dv by the amount of dr means you ignore the dr, not hard to work out quickly. maneuvers are from 3ed aswell and are pretty much just free feats.

Basically Tim dont let all these D20 hatemongers discourage you. It's the best version of D20 around by a long shot and even if you end up using another system the books have alot of good fluff in them aswell as useful advice on running a sword and sorcery game.

I'm a Savage Worlds guy, so I will let others discuss the system, but setting wise Mongoose has created a thing of beauty.

Of course, being fanatical about Howard and his tales in the Hyborian Age doesn't hurt. ;)

Krushnak said:
Basically Tim dont let all these D20 hatemongers discourage you. It's the best version of D20 around by a long shot and even if you end up using another system the books have alot of good fluff in them aswell as useful advice on running a sword and sorcery game.
Basically Tim for each "hatemonger" there is a fanboy :roll:
It is an objective fact that d20 Conan runs slower than other games like SW or AD&D. Liking it or not, is another matter.
But as I said, even if you do not like the crunch (despite it being the "best d20 around"), the setting information is quite good.

FailedSpotCheck said:
Paladin said:
Combat is much deadlier and faster...

Um, not in my experience. :? :( Deadlier? Perhaps. Faster? Definitely not.
A single combat scenario could take an entire session to do all the tactical manuoevres and calculations properly. As many, many other people have noted before, d20 is roll playing and not role playing.

While I can appreciate that this may be your experience, it is not a universal one - it certainly isn't true for my group. Now each GM & group will be different, but just b/c one struggles doesn't mean the system is slow.

My first Conan combat, I tried to boil the ocean and utilize every combat rule. The 2nd session, we boiled it down to the basics. Each session we introduced an additional mechanic: MDT, combat maneuvers, fate points, etc. Now it hums along, even with a few house rules such as hit location and a more intricate wound system.

I recommend the approach for any Conan newbies. I had similar experiences with GURPS - many cries of how slow it was, how long combat took. It could, but only if you tried to use every rule out of the gate.

By starting with the basics and adding complexity once those basics are mastered, the learning curve is much, much shallower and combat flows very quickly.

My players have used words like "fast", "deadly", "visceral", and "brutal" in describing Conan RPG combat. And they love every blood-drenched bone-snapping minute of it. In our last session [6 hours], combat accounted for about two hours of game time (3 combats). The rest was role-play. The only reason combat took that much time is that the 3rd combat involved a large # of opponents on both sides - the players were involved in assaulting a castle.

Anyway, that's been my experience. YMMV

Paladin said:
rabindranath72 said:
Really?? It's not that much more complex in my opinion.
I agree with Paladin and will go a step further as I think Conan 2E is presented better than what I've seen of D&D. I think the Conan rules make sense, with everything explained well.

In the first play testings of Conan, you had a lot less hitpoints, basically you started with hitpoints equal to your Constitution stat. plus 1-4 hitpoints extra as you progressed in levels.

Having just played a few sessions of combat recently I am still mystified why this idea was dropped, players just have too many hitpoints, the way armour negates damage means fights last a hell of a long time

Two PCs, both level 7, one a nordheimer barbarian with a bardiche and medium armour, the other a Bossonian Soldier with a bow and medium armour held off and killed 40+ second level soldiers with armed with sabres, bows and light armour. The PCs had so many hitpoints that the risk to them was laughable.

Thanks for all the replies.
Obviously there is mixed feelings about the rules. I think I will buy the core book and have a read. If it is to my liking I will buy some other books.
I have only played 1st and 2nd addition D&D, but at Gencon (Australia) I played a demo game of 4th and I thought it showed potential - I had fun any way.

Is Conan 2E D&D 3.5?

Regards,
TT.

Amen, brother. Some people claim that D&D is swords-n-sorcery style fantasy but it's really geared towards high fantasy, and its own unique brand of high fantasy at that.

The Conan RPG is swords-n-sorcery done right and in all it's REH-inspired pulpy goodness!

Ok, I am sold. I will buy Conan 2E.

In live in Australia, but buy all my gaming needs from the USA (cheaper than Australia, even with international postage). Conan 2E is $65 here. What Amerian company sells it and mails internationally? I normally buy through the Warstore, but Neil does list it - I will email him and he might be able to get.

Thanks,
Paul.

p.s. I also have a few D&D 2E Conan modules and the TSR (I think) Conan RPG.

There are people who have problems with Conan. There are people who like it. And then there are people who get pouty because other people have different tastes. The first two are worth listening to, the third type is not. Luckily, they are easy to spot. "its roll playing, not role playing! hurk hurk!" is a typical symptom.

Conan has a very simple, very fast combat system at base. Roll d20, add bonus, roll damage. Built on this simple foundation are several more layers which add complexity, but its entirely up to you how much of this you use. And even with all the additions in, its a fairly simple system.

Two PCs, both level 7, one a nordheimer barbarian with a bardiche and medium armour, the other a Bossonian Soldier with a bow and medium armour held off and killed 40+ second level soldiers with armed with sabres, bows and light armour. The PCs had so many hitpoints that the risk to them was laughable.

Two 7th levels beat a swarm of 2nd levels? I'm only surprised that you're surprised! Did it feel a bit like...well.. this?

These crashed into the fray with the devastating effect of a hurricane plowing through a grove of saplings. In sheer strength no three Tlazitlans were a match for Conan, and in spite of his weight he was quicker on his feet than any of them. He moved through the whirling, eddying mass with the surety and destructiveness of a gray wolf amidst a pack of alley curs, and he strode over a wake of crumpled figures.

Valeria fought beside him, her lips smiling and her eyes blazing. She was stronger than the average man, and far quicker and more ferocious. Her sword was like a living thing in her hand. Where Conan beat down opposition by the sheer weight and power of his blows, breaking spears, splitting skulls and cleaving bosoms to the breastbone, Valeria brought into action a finesse of swordplay that dazzled and bewildered her antagonists before it slew them. Again and again a warrior, heaving high his heavy blade, found her point in his jugular before he could strike. Conan, towering above the field, strode through the welter smiting right and left, but Valeria moved like an illusive phantom, constantly shifting, and thrusting and slashing as she shifted. Swords missed her again and again as the wielders flailed the empty air and died with her point in their hearts or throats, and her mocking laughter in their ears.

Terrible Tim said:
Ok, I am sold. I will buy Conan 2E.

p.s. I also have a few D&D 2E Conan modules and the TSR (I think) Conan RPG.
Good choice!
If nothing else, you will like the background and ideas.
I suppose you are referring to the CB1 and CB2 modules? They were for 1st edition, and you will see that many of the ideas in those modules and the TSR Conan RPG boxed set where used in the d20 Conan game.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Back