Conan RPG Magazine

sgstyrsky

Mongoose
Hey Everyone,

I posted this on the "What Should Mongoose Publish Next?" section, but only Strom voiced his support. (Thanks, Strom!)

Can we show MGP how much support there would be for a Conan RPG magazine? I suggest bi-monthly at first until there's enough material to fill it on a monthly basis.

I ask for this because the two (at most) articles we get a month in S&P while always really good, just don't satisfy my craving for all things Conan.

Thanks.

What would be the method of distribution for this magazine? Printed? PDF? PDF wouldn't be so bad as far as costs go, but I doubt MGP could devote the staff needed to do 6 magazines a year. More likely a fanzine could do well, if somebody felt like taking the initiative in getting all the proper authorization from MGP (though, since the game is OGL it could be done by simply not mentiong "Conan" by name, but where's the fun in that?). Fans could submit their own classes, adventures, artwork and such. Nothing would be official of course, but I think the work as a whole would have merit. :)

I and Vincent tried last year to get this exact type of magazine for the Conan rpg off the ground. After much discussion and planning Mongoose decided they couldn't do it.

Mind you we had completed the first two issues with I and Vincent doing all the articles, using recycled artwork and doing the editing ourselves. All Mongoose had to do was have a staff member put it in a pdf format.

For multiple reasons they decided not to do it. I guess the moral of the story is no matter how good your intentions, even if you will do all the work, sometimes people who have control don't want to relinquish even a little bit.

Eric in Vegas

I'd certainly like to see something like this, fanzine or not. I have a few ideas for a few articles in mind, which I hadn't bothered to write up before since sending them to Signs & Portents would mean waiting forever to see them come out.

EricKRod said:
For multiple reasons they decided not to do it. I guess the moral of the story is no matter how good your intentions, even if you will do all the work, sometimes people who have control don't want to relinquish even a little bit.

Eric in Vegas

That's too bad, as something like this could only benefit MGP in the long haul. Well, there's always going the generic OGL route, just don't say the trade marked names. :?

But wait, how does Thulsa have his website up legally? Did he have to get permission for publishing (on the web) maps and things that use names of places and people in the Hyborian Age? Ugh, so confused.

Can't anyone (i.e. Erick or Vincent) publish it individually?
I know a webzine dedicated to the Lord of the Rings RPG (by Decipher) which was released during and after the licencing (there is still an monthly issue).
It is called the Hall of Fire (http://halloffire.org) and is of great quality.

EricKRod said:
I and Vincent tried last year to get this exact type of magazine for the Conan rpg off the ground. After much discussion and planning Mongoose decided they couldn't do it.

Mind you we had completed the first two issues with I and Vincent doing all the articles, using recycled artwork and doing the editing ourselves. All Mongoose had to do was have a staff member put it in a pdf format.

Eric in Vegas

I think that's it: CONTROL.
I know what it's like, because I was raised by two obsessive, maniacal control-freaks. :x
My estimation of MGP was soured by my professional dealings on several occasions with Sprange et al.
For the record, I think a Conan RPG-only mag would rock on toast! 8)
There's far too little and far too seldom in S&P to wait with baited breath for the PDF.
Fansites are pretty much the only way to go. I wouldn't snub them just because they are labours-of-love by fan and not some corporate entity. If it were not for my accidentally bumping into Vincent's fine d20 Conan site, I would not have migrated to the CONAN RPG here. 8)

I'm beginning to think that I'm growing tired of the game, honestly. I've slowly moved more into old school 1E AD&D and traditional historical miniatures wargaming, and may sell my Conan RPG collection. Just a thought.

Anyway....for those of you who enjoy the 2E, good gaming!

Yogah.

EricKRod said:
Mind you we had completed the first two issues with I and Vincent doing all the articles, using recycled artwork and doing the editing ourselves. Eric in Vegas

What happened to the articles?

Vincent and I have 'tons' of adventures and articles that we wrote over the last two years that were sent to Mongoose and are sitting in files on our computers. Most likely Mongoose's lease on the Conan rpg will run out long before any of them see print.

Eric in Vegas

Hi guys,

We are not beyond the idea of a Conan magazine and, in fact, we have talked long and hard with several different parties about producing regular game specific publications, from RPGs to our miniatures games, both in print and PDF.

To date, we have yet to see a solid proposal that we would have confidence in (and, remember, we act as guardians and ambassadors for our licensed properties, and have certain obligations ourselves). However, the idea is still an open one, so if someone can put together a proposal that makes sense on the content, production and financial levels, we will happily take a look.

By the same token, we have never dissuaded any fan-based site, and will happily lend them whatever support we can reasonably give.

EricKRod said:
Vincent and I have 'tons' of adventures and articles that we wrote over the last two years that were sent to Mongoose and are sitting in files on our computers. Most likely Mongoose's lease on the Conan rpg will run out long before any of them see print.

Don't count on that - we have been giving serious thought to an 'Adventures in the Hyborian Age' compilation. . .

To date, we have yet to see a solid proposal that we would have confidence in (and, remember, we act as guardians and ambassadors for our licensed properties, and have certain obligations ourselves). However, the idea is still an open one, so if someone can put together a proposal that makes sense on the content, production and financial levels, we will happily take a look.

Sigh...So I am guessing that I and Vincent aren't solid and we never had Mongoose's confidence? I find that very interesting. We have the confidence of other game companies and Paradox, owners of the Conan License, have no problem with us doing other REH products. I think it comes down to personal choice or "Who can we get to do this for free?"

What ya gonna do? :roll:

msprange said:
...we act as guardians and ambassadors for our licensed properties...

As I mentioned before: CONTROL.
:roll:

It doesn't sound like MGP has faith in the dedication, accuracy and zeal of Misters Darlage as EricKRod, in addition to all others that have contributed and attempted to contribute. *ahem*

What it boils down to is that Mongoose is really asking, "Okay, we know you've written this stuff, so how much of a "gratuity" are you going to give us to get it in print?"

EricKRod said:
Sigh...So I am guessing that I and Vincent aren't solid and we never had Mongoose's confidence? I find that very interesting. We have the confidence of other game companies and Paradox, owners of the Conan License, have no problem with us doing other REH products. I think it comes down to personal choice or "Who can we get to do this for free?"

Well, first, you have to remember that no one is 'entitled' to do something like this.

We also have to consider both the licence and financial implications in order to fulfil our own obligations - there is a world of difference between allowing a fan-based site to operate, and authorising an official publication, electronic or otherwise.

If you would like to submit another proposal that caters to all of these issues, we will happily review it.

We have never doubted your ability to produce material for Conan. But there is more to a project like this than that.

Back