Conan Problems! Need Help Badly!

Krablauch

Mongoose
Hello, I'm new here. My friends and I all love Conan, however we live in 5 different cities. We currently use an online program to play D&D 4e, and want to start a Conan RPG game, but our program we use doesn't support Conan. Any ideas on how to play Conan over the internet or converting to 4e. I have the conan books, so would just need to sit down and do some serious conversion.

Krablauch said:
Hello, I'm new here. My friends and I all love Conan, however we live in 5 different cities. We currently use an online program to play D&D 4e, and want to start a Conan RPG game, but our program we use doesn't support Conan. Any ideas on how to play Conan over the internet or converting to 4e. I have the conan books, so would just need to sit down and do some serious conversion.
Welcome to the forum!
What do you mean by "converting to 4e"? Changing the d20 Conan classes to the 4e framework? or adapting the 4e game to the Conan setting?
The former is a quite daunting task, since you would need to write an adequate number of powers. Not sure it's worth the time.
If the latter, I would say restrict the available classes to the following: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlord and Warlock.
Fighters can make very good soldiers and barbarians. Ranger could work quite well as Borderers and Nomads. Warlords might replace nobles and some soldier types. Rogues are a good fit for thieves. And Warlock can replace scholars/sorcerers; you might want to give the Warlock access to rituals as a replacement for the flashier class features, e.g. Eldritch Blast. I would also exclude the Fey Pact and remove the powers with elemental-type, radiant, thunder and teleportation keywords (these are too flashy for a Conan game IMO).

Or, better yet, play the current D20/OGL version of Conan the RPG as designed by Mongoose Publishing. It's an excellent system, and in my opinion the best D20-derived fantasy game available, and serves quite well in bringing to life the wonder, mystery, and savagery of the Hyborian Age.

Just sayin'. ;)

Just can't say which one is worse, OGL or DD4... Both are completely unadapted to Hyborian gaming to my eyes...

Convert to 4e? i can't think of anything that would destroy the essence of the game faster. An absolutely absurd undertaking. If your online tool can't support d20, perhaps it is not meant to be.

Cimmerian Bard said:
Or, better yet, play the current D20/OGL version of Conan the RPG as designed by Mongoose Publishing. It's an excellent system, and in my opinion the best D20-derived fantasy game available, and serves quite well in bringing to life the wonder, mystery, and savagery of the Hyborian Age.

Just sayin'. ;)

+1 CB speaks the word.

Yeah even I have to agree that Conan the RPG should be your template, not your conversion project.

The only way it may get better for some (like myself and Rabindarath) is the 1st AD&D.

we may have to disagree on the "merits" of 1st edition, but I agree you don't want to be using 4th for Conan, that's for certain

It would take a lot of work to adapt DD4 to the Hyborian world There are some good points in the system that would fit the genre, though, like Second Wind for instance... The game is also a bit faster than its too crunchy OGL counterpart, but in overall, if you're not satisfied with the OGL rules, I bet you won't be satisfied with DD4 either... If you plan a switch of game engine look for other systems, like BRP/MRQ, Savage Worlds or Barbarians of Lemuria, which seem the most popular systems for non OGL players...

Guys, you are not helping the OP much. His question was quite simple and direct. He is playing/wants to play 4e; he has the original books; and he stated a preference. Everyone could suggest 1000 reasons why a different system would be better, but it would come no closer to solving his problems :)

Krablauch said:

What is your program? Most every app I've seen has generic enough support of d20 that you could pull off a Conan game. I mean all you need is to roll dice, show maps and move minis, right? Templates and macros are nice, but not essential. Fantasy Grounds 2 is nice and so is OpenRPG.

i concur with cimmerian bard. everytime i look at dd4th edition, i wanna throw up. i'd rather play mongooses d20 conan over the phone than play dd4th over the internet or table or whatever.

Back