Conan Movies

The Warlord

Mongoose
So, I have the original, un-special, dvd version. I see there are Special Editions and the Complete collection for CtB.

I'm considering getting the Complete collection, but does CtB have the edited out scenes? I checked the back of the boxes of the Complete Collection and the CtB special edition, and they read the same, except CtB on the Complete Collection DOES NOT list unreleased scenes.

I'm sure they're the same, but want a little clarification before purchasing.

Thanks!

(and oh yeah, did anyone see Brigitte Nielson on the Surreal life? Eck! Didn't age well, I'd say. Can't decide what's worse, her running around nude or loving Flavor Flav. lol)

I think the two-fer with CtB has got the special edition in it with the documentaries and deleted scenes. It's not like they're integrated back in to the movie, but they are pretty neat. Best I can do is cross-reference with my copy and Amazon and let you know that way as I dont' ahve the two-fer copy.

BullBear said:
So, I have the original, un-special, dvd version. I see there are Special Editions and the Complete collection for CtB.

I'm considering getting the Complete collection, but does CtB have the edited out scenes?
The special edition CtB only has one real scene added to the movie. It's a dialogue peice between Conan and Subatai and it takes place just before the final battle sequence. What makes it strange is that it was never relooped so that it has Gerry Lopez's real voice! :shock: After hearing the other actor's voice through the majority of the film it comes as a bit of a surprise. The only extra material worked into the movie are a few extensions of already exsisting scenes.
None of the additional scenes were added to the film and, in fact, are not even completed scences. There just the daily footage added to the 2nd disc. Perhaps the worse thing about the SE is Milius' comments about Robert E. Howard. I've never listened to a greater collection of backhanded "complements" in my life. :evil:

The ending in the Collectors Edition (the two-fer) is also different than the standard dvd and the threatrical release. And it has the scene Mythos described with Subati.

You know even though it's not an REH Conan film I still quite liked watching it at times . Some of the scenes were fine , some awful , and of course the music is great . But after listening to the commentary I don't know if I'll ever want to see it again :cry:

Terry
The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
THE BLOODY CROWN OF CONAN OUT NOW !!

But after listening to the commentary I don't know if I'll ever want to see it again

Ya know, this is the second time in as many weeks that I've heard negative things about the commentary. I have yet to actually hear it myself.

Please elaborate the situation, as I too enjoy the movie, and the score is IMHO, the best movie score ever made.

I totally forgot about the extra dialogue with Conan and Subatai. It's really good, even with the differnt voice over.

Nice to hear that the two-fer is still the "good" version.

For $20 (which is what it is most places here in the States) I may grab one even though I already have the first one separately. Of course there's Two Towers, Matrix, Crusades and ST:TOS to buy too.

:lol:

Milius certainly comes across as a delusional loony.

I think Conan the Barbarian is a good movie. In some ways it's a good Conan movie, in many other ways not. But its casting does amuse me. Who can play the Hyrkanian nomad? Of course, a hispanic surfer from Hawaii! A villainous warrior? We need an American football player!

On another but near register I recently saw the movie "The colossus of Rhodes" one of the first made by Sergio Leone.
I was surprise to see that it integrate many Howardian facts and plots: a stranger in a strange land, a tyrant king with a councillor who is equally corrupted and try to start a coup, while some resistants try to get rid of the king. There is a woman with her own agenda and then a strange killer machine and a final cataclysm.
I almost forgot to mention human sacrifices to a bloody deity and a superb detailled ancient city.

terryallenuk said:
You know even though it's not an REH Conan film I still quite liked watching it at times . Some of the scenes were fine , some awful , and of course the music is great . But after listening to the commentary I don't know if I'll ever want to see it again :cry:

Terry

I thought the comments about REH were maybe unsympathetic, but perhaps not untrue They essentially call him a wacko, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing, IMHO. :wink:

I thought the CtB film was an interesting take on the Conan canon (actually, I just like to say "Conan canon" aloud), even though REH's Conan was a bit more articulate than that portrayed by the "Governor," but I chalked this up to his inability to act. In fact, CtB remains one of my favorite movies, despite Milius's bizarre cast which ranges from greats like James Earl Jones & Max von Sydow to Milius's surfing buddy, an (American) football player, and a professional wrestler. :roll: (Then again, I love LADYHAWKE, too, which, incidentally, features the worst soundtrack ever -- I have issues, I know).

Despite the weird casting, though, at least we're spared the CtD tragedy of Grace Jones wearing a thong and Wilt Chamberlain wielding a sword like a baseball bat. :oops:

Brian

My biggest complaint with the special edition of CtB is the lack of 5.1 sound. The damn thing is mono! My VHS copy sounds better!

I have to say that I found the Commentary very amusing, probably for the wrong reasons.... Generally "Conan The Barbarian" holds up pretty well and although "non-canon" - it's pretty easy to spot where huge chunks of plot or character have been lifted from. Still an old favourite.

Faraer said:
Milius certainly comes across as a delusional loony.

I think Conan the Barbarian is a good movie. In some ways it's a good Conan movie, in many other ways not. But its casting does amuse me. Who can play the Hyrkanian nomad? Of course, a hispanic surfer from Hawaii! A villainous warrior? We need an American football player!

Actually, in Lopez' defense, I think he is a Filipino-American. Still it's strange that Milius didn't even use his own voice...

I read somewhere that they were making some short animations based on Conan, a bit like animatrix, I cant remember where I read this? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'll have to go digging through the conan.com website to get the exact material, but here it is in a nutshell.

A company is interested in doing a direct to video version of the story Red Nails. If all goes well it should be released around Christmas of 2005. The company wants to make this the first of three projects based on Conan material. The intent is to make these as faithful as possible to the stories written by Howard. There has been no updates for several months, so the current state of the project is in question. Yes, these would be animated movies.

That about sums it up. I'll try to find additional details and post them as they come up.

And of course, more importantly then that, crown of iron is being drafted up.

I liked the commentary, tickled me when through the whole film when ever a woman comes on screen it turns into beavis and butthead :lol:

I though lopez looked nicely harkanian to me, in the same way that the two henchmen looked like they were from hyborea/Asgard (which has nothing to do with them being Danish what so ever)

Back