[CONAN] Marvel Conan Graphic Novels of the 70's

I've been collecting Savage Sword and the old Marvel reprints in the Chronicles of Conan. I pretty much buy anything Conan related. I've bought the one-offs, and I bought the first vol. of the newspaper reprint.

I stumbled across some titles that were Marvel Graphic Novels in the 70's.

CONAN: THE RAVAGERS OUT OF TIME
ISBN: 978-0-87135-911-7

CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE HORN OF AZOTH
ISBN: 978-0-87135-639-0

CONAN: THE WITCH QUEEN OF ACHERON
ISBN: 0- 87135-085-8

CONAN OF THE ISLES
ISBN: 978-0-87135-483-9
I understand that this one is Roy Thomas' take on De Camp's and Carter's novel, so I bet there's a decent chance that it shows up, in B&W, in Savage Sword at some point.

CONAN THE REAVER
ISBN: 0- 87135-289-3

And, theres...

KULL: THE VALE OF SHADOW
ISBN: 978-0-87135-558-4

My questions to you, are:

1. Do you know if any of these will show up in Savage Sword or Chronicles? I'm thinking not, since SS is in B&W, and these graphic novels really aren't part of the Chronicles series.

2. Do you know if Dark Horse has any plans to reprint these, maybe in omnibus form?

3. Have you read them? Are they worth tracking down?

Cheomesh said:
What is Savage Swords?

M.

Are you kidding?

It's a fantastic book. "Adult" comic book. It started in the 70's and became a phenomenon.

THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN.

SAVAGE SWORD WIKI

20081010013416!Savagesword24_07.jpg

conan-dreams.PNG

000-Savage-Sword-of-Conan-1.jpg

I kid you not :/

I picked up exactly one Conan comic, it was while I worked at a comic shop over a year ago. It was awful.

M.

Cheomesh said:
I kid you not :/

I picked up exactly one Conan comic, it was while I worked at a comic shop over a year ago. It was awful.

M.

Probably Marvel's Conan The Barbarian? The first year or two, I'd agree that the book isn't that good. But, I've been reading the reprinted CHRONICLES, and after the first two vols., the series gets pretty doggone good.

Still, if I were stuck on a desert island and all that, it would be Savage Sword that I took with me.

The first couple of vols. of the Savage Sword vols. are tellings of the Howard stories and patiches. But, later on, the series brings in original stories.

Cheomesh said:
It was "Conan the Cimmarian" by Dark Horse; particularly the issue called "Kozaki".

M.

Most would disagree with you then. The Dark Horse Conan lines are the favorites of the masses. I like them a lot, too. But, I will agree, the line loses some of its spark around that time.

If I recall correctly, what threw me off was some awkward dialogue. However, it has been some time since I've read it, so I might give it another go. At the time I was just getting back into fantasy literature, after having been a bit derailed for some time. When I'm settled in the new place I will give those "Savage Swords" a try.

M.

I remember my first "Conan: La Spada Selvaggia" (Italian line of Savage Sword) story when I was 10 or 11: it was the Tower of the Elephant (and that picture up there).

Those comics made me dream, and I still long for that Conan feeling!

Dark Horse comics are good....but the good old Marvel black&white stories by authors like Thomas and Buscema are on a completely different, higher level!!

LucaCherstich said:
I remember my first "Conan: La Spada Selvaggia" (Italian line of Savage Sword) story when I was 10 or 11: it was the Tower of the Elephant (and that picture up there).

Those comics made me dream, and I still long for that Conan feeling!

Dark Horse comics are good....but the good old Marvel black&white stories by authors like Thomas and Buscema are on a completely different, higher level!!

1st off I have not seen the Dark Horse line, but when I read about the Hyperboreans and the Gurnaki load of BS that Dark Horse made, I never wanted to.

I agree, The old SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN comics were awesome. Because they were in black and white, they did not have to abide by the Comic Code of no nudity, or overly graphic kill scenes, which is really what Conan is about!!!

Spectator said:
1st off I have not seen the Dark Horse line, but when I read about the Hyperboreans and the Gurnaki load of BS that Dark Horse made, I never wanted to.

Like every line, there's some hit and miss. And, I'm a Savage Sword fan, too. Heck, I don't consider myself a comics reader, but I buy all the Conan stuff since I started playing this RPG.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Savage Sword. Luca is right in saying that there's just something about that Savage Sword feel that is sooo "Conan".

But, don't turn your face from the Dark Horse stuff. The line really does deliver some top notch story-telling. Long, drawn out story arcs. Characters that return from other stories. It's like a high budget, excellent TV series of Conan.

I highly recommend them.

And, if you start them, then definitely start with Book 0 before you get Book 1.

Born on the Battlefield.

By the time you finish Book 0, you'll be hooked. I guarrantee it.

15273.jpg

So much to read, so little time :/

I'm still working through book one of that trilogy with all of Howard's original works - slow going, as I only really read it to and from work on the bus. Stories in that one range from "Gotta turn that page!" to "If I make it to the end, it'll get better D: ". If you're saying these are good (Savage Sword and the Dark Horse books - graphic novels right?) I'll have to scoop them up.

M.

Cheomesh said:
So much to read, so little time :/

I'm still working through book one of that trilogy with all of Howard's original works - slow going, as I only really read it to and from work on the bus. Stories in that one range from "Gotta turn that page!" to "If I make it to the end, it'll get better D: ". If you're saying these are good (Savage Sword and the Dark Horse books - graphic novels right?) I'll have to scoop them up.

M.

I am saying both are good and worth getting.

Savage Sword is an anthology. The Dark Horse collections, in graphic novel form, tell a linear story, from Conan's birth to him becoming King.

I've not said that Dark Horse is bad....but it is not as special as Savage Sword.
Or maybe it's just me, and old Conan-maniacs like me who grow up with old Marvel Comics to give visual sense of what you read in Robert Ervin Howard.
I'm bothered by the whole "Who is Conan? Schwarznegger or Momoa?" discussion.
My Conan is John Buscema's Conan.
It is so and it will ever be.

Back