[CONAN] Full movie trailer is now available

I can't tell if its Prince of Persia or Pirates of the Carribbean. Either way, it's not Conan.

Yeah, low expectations on this one. Let's just hope it's "fun" and not a waste of a buck, too.

I see Picts. I see Archonian ruins. OK, that's cool.

But, I also heard someone call the world "Hyboria".

Then I saw Conan swinging around like he was in The Matrix.

And I see a ton of "3D" moments where something comes out of the screen at you.

Good grief.

Yeah, I'll see it, but I don't think it's going to rock my world.

It doesn't look like the answer to my Conan prayers.

I have always felt that if Conan was done properly that the resulting film would be far too serious for the general movie viewing public. The Solomon Kane movie tried to keep the required gravitas and was pilloried (in certain quarters) for being po faced.
I think that the movie looks like it might be fun, a better Scorpion King anyone.....?
If it brings Conan back into the limelight and gets it back in the minds of gaming publishers then I really don't care if its canonical or a touch comedic in places.
Roll on Aug19 is what I say. :)

Looks freakin awesome. Seriously. Bobby would have loved it.

I'm not sure what people expect from a film about a one-dimensional pulp character.

And Mongoose called it Hyboria all the time without anyone raising an objection.

a lot of people in this forum raised objections about it, and if I remember it well, even V. Darlage (whose rpg books were labeled as "HYboria's f..." and "Ruins of Hyboria" etc..) complained about it.

If for "Hyboria" they intended the Hyborian nations they should have said the "West" or, to use REH words, the "Dreaming West".

PrinceYyrkoon said:

Maybe, it's really hard to tell. There are some interesting insights on this page:

http://www.rehupa.com/movies.htm

For example, this:

REH said:
That's the kind of stuff I like -- rough, raw and brutal. Tiger-stuff. All this singing and dancing and ga-ga-stuff makes me sick.

In contrast with:

REH said:
"Back Street" was powerful, to my mind, and most damnably harrowing. I wept bitterly. That's no lie.

But make no mistake, this is still Howard we are talking about:

REH said:
While weeping some yegg in front of me turned around and gave me an incredulous look, and thinking he was about to make some smart crack, I gave him a murderous glare, wiped away my tears and drew back my right to mash him for the insect he was, but he made no comment and turned around again. Maybe he was weeping too.

And then:

REH said:
I wish I hadn't seen that show. It really tore me up. The thought of an intelligent and talented woman wasting all her years on a low-lifed son-of-a-bitch and sacrificing herself and living in the shadows, it gave me the jitters.

The "solution" would have made Conan proud:

REH said:
I felt like taking a club and wading through the populace like Samson through the Philadelphians.

Presumably he means Philistines, not Philadelphians...!?!

- thulsa

PrinceYyrkoon said:

I'm not sure what people expect from a film about a one-dimensional pulp character.

And Mongoose called it Hyboria all the time without anyone raising an objection.
Howard never used the word Hyboria, simply because there is no land with this name. If Mongoose used it, its use is definitely not canon.

On the trailer....

0:18 - Intimidation/Demoralize Opponent, using the Expanded DEX rule from Hyboria's Fiercest.

1:07 -Use The Battlefield combat maneuver. He got +2 attack for that.

1:14 - Standard Attack Action.

1:20 - Jump skill used.

1:22 - Swim skill used with double armor check penalty.

1:23 - Don't think that skill is in the game. Have to role play it. :shock:

1:30 - Full Action Move.

1:46 - Initiative being thrown. Start of combat.

1:47 - Standard attack. If successful, two-handed grip provides 1.5 times STR bonus.

1:50 - Dodge ranged attack.

1:52 - Tumble skill used. Conan has a good Tumble skill?

1:55 - Two-Hand Weapon Combat Feat.

1:98 - Devestating Sweep combat maneuver.

2:07 - Throw weapon.

thulsa said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:

Maybe, it's really hard to tell. There are some interesting insights on this page:

...snip...

- thulsa

Cheers, Thulsa, most interesting.

On 'Hyboria' vs 'The Hyborian Age', it's only for reasons of clarity, I would guess. The film can't be for a hard-core audience solely, and it's just easier to call it Hyboria, I don't have an issue. I would guess that Mongoose used the term for similar reasons. It's not just the 3F's, its Ruins of Hyboria, Cities of Hyboria, Catacombs of Hyboria too. And turn the first page of the 2nd edition and you'll see a map of Hyboria. Vincent was a bit of a stickler, I admit, but even he uses terms like 'Hyborian lands', 'Hyborian culture', etc., (when, perhaps it should be 'cultures of the Hyborian age' more correctly). It's a bit of a non-issue, IMO. But, hey, that's just my opinion as usual.

I can understand, too, why people may not like the trailer, I really didn't like the plot when I heard of it. However, the trailer is 2 minutes long and feels quite breakneck, perhaps the film will brood a little more. I do hope, though, that there is a sense of irony in there too, I thought Solomon Kane was too po faced for it's own good. Again, IMO.

I love that sorceress, though, and the sand devils are great, love the look of the ruins, the sets too. It could be good. It might just be good. Fingers crossed.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
Vincent was a bit of a stickler, I admit, but even he uses terms like 'Hyborian lands', 'Hyborian culture', etc., (when, perhaps it should be 'cultures of the Hyborian age' more correctly).

No, he used it correctly. You can say European culture, talking about the culture of that racial stock. European lands, would refer to Europe.

I have to say, I am becoming a very big Jason Momua fan, I really think his physiqye is more BARBARIAN than Arnie's roided out physique. I like the natural muscle and range-y strength he has, I wish he a tad more celtic looking though!

I am a big time fan of Rose McGowan, the Sorceress!

Yeah I caught the Hyboria gaffe, but really, we are nitpicking now.

I hope it will be awesome!!!!

Exactly!
It is just like calling Europe "Modernia" since we are in a Modern Age!

I think this Conan is more respondent to REH Conan than Arnie was....but John Milius film was pure masterwork..I'm eager to see what this film will be.

Spectator said:
I wish he a tad more celtic looking though!

I think he looks the part, too. But one thing I do miss and was kinda hoping to see is the Irish-accent. I thought the Age of Conan game did that well. People had accents according to their cultural background.

I don't know why it bothers me so much--probably not because of the gaffe, but because it's a sign that the film is not well researched.

As do we all. :wink:

I personally don't have a problem with people referring to 'Hyboria'.
There is a continent called Africa, filled with assorted African nations but ultimately (almost) everyone living there is African.Same with Europe.
Therefore, using the same logic, that part of Howard's world where the Hyborians predominate in their own myriad Kingdoms could feasibly be referred to as Hyboria. I don't see the problem except in places like Turan, Shem, Khitai etc where the people are clearly not Hyborians.
I don't understand why people are getting a flea up their collective a***s about this. Bob may never have used the phrase but depending on the context on which it is used, it may be neither incorrect nor inappropriate.
There are many things which Bob did not say but which we in his fan community(of gamers and readers) assume, so where's the problem guys? :roll:
On the topic of the film though, I hope that the heavy metal(ish) music that plays over the second part of the trailer is not on the soundtrack of the film itself. These movies need big scores. :cry:

tarkhan bey said:
There is a continent called Africa, filled with assorted African nations but ultimately (almost) everyone living there is African.Same with Europe.

That's right. The people on the African continent are "Africans". The people in Europe are "Europeans".

But, do we call the entire world "Africa"?

Back when the Europeans populated the most powerful, most developed nations in the world, did we call the entire world "Europa"?

When someone refers to the entire world during Conan's time as "Hyboria", it's akin to calling the entire world "Europa" in the 1500's.

Therefore, using the same logic, that part of Howard's world where the Hyborians predominate in their own myriad Kingdoms could feasibly be referred to as Hyboria. I don't see the problem except in places like Turan, Shem, Khitai etc where the people are clearly not Hyborians.

Don't forget that the Picts and the Cimmerians aren't Hyborians, either. And, the Zamorians aren't Hyborians, when Zamora is smack dab tucked in tight right next to all of those Hyborian nations.

When you call the world "Hyboria", you're not addressing many other powerful nations: Stygia, Turan, Khitai, Zamora.

And, this is not to mention all the people in the lesser developed kingdoms: The Black Kingdoms, Shem, Hyrkania, Nordheim, Cimmeria, The Pictish Wilderness, plus Vendhya and Iranistan.

There's much more of the world that isn't populated by Hyborians than is.

S4, it's those eyes, he needs lighter color eyes.
Supplement Four said:
Spectator said:
I wish he a tad more celtic looking though!

I think he looks the part, too. But one thing I do miss and was kinda hoping to see is the Irish-accent. I thought the Age of Conan game did that well. People had accents according to their cultural background.

I don't know why it bothers me so much--probably not because of the gaffe, but because it's a sign that the film is not well researched.

As do we all. :wink:

Back