CONAN errors compiled

A

Anonymous

SKILLS
Perform (Ritual) is listed as a background skill for Stygians, yet there is no such subskill listed or explained under the Perform skill. Of what value is Perform (Ritual)? It does not apear as a prerequisite to any spell. What should replace it for Stygians if it is worthless and an error?

Profession lists the weekly wage earned in gold pieces instead of silver.

Spellcraft is mentioned in the Knowledge (Arcana) skill's synergy bonus section, but not listed as a skill choice.

SPELLS
Prestidigitation sorcery style's first spell, Conjuring, has a prerequisite of Sleight of Hand 4 ranks, yet this skill is not on the Scholar list. The book says The Black Ring of Stygia teaches this sorcery style and spell at 2nd level to their acolytes, but unless these acolytes already have several levels in thief (doubtful, since they recruit from their land's noble class, not the bottom of the social ladder), or unless the acolytes magically have known they should be dumping skill points on a cross class skill they probably have no other use for, they could not possibly meet the prerequisites to learn this spell, which must be learned before any others in the sorcery style. Solution: Add Sleight of Hand to Scholar class skill list or remove Sleight of Hand as a prerequisite.

WEAPONS
There are two ghanata knives depicted, one on p. 137 and the other on p.138. The first (and more ornate of the two) is obviously mislabeled. Which weapon is it? The zhaibar knife?

Pole axe is mispelled as "pollaxe" repeatedly.

Iron_Chef said:
WEAPONS
There are two ghanata knives depicted, one on p. 137 and the other on p.138. The first (and more ornate of the two) is obviously mislabeled. Which weapon is it? The zhaibar knife?

The first appears to be the ghanata knife, while the second (on p.138) is probably the actual zhaibar knife.

MAP
Arenjun is depicted as being outside the political boundaries (red lines) of its native Zamora. A fourth Zamoran city, Yaralet, which is described in the Zamora GM overview is not shown on the map at all.

Iron_Chef said:
MAP
Arenjun is depicted as being outside the political boundaries (red lines) of its native Zamora. A fourth Zamoran city, Yaralet, which is described in the Zamora GM overview is not shown on the map at all.

Previous maps in the Conan novels depict Arenjun as not so far up in the mountains. Is that Yaralet mislabeled as Arenjun?

Profession should be in SP.

Spellcraft was removed, no synergy bonus for Knowledge (Arcana)

Perform (Ritual) is a skill for Stygians but will be featured in more depth in a future supplement - for now treat it like any other perform skill.

Prestidigitation is correct. Those who wish to take Conjuring have to take cross-class skills in sleight of hand. Given the acolytes are being trained then they'd know to practice their fingerwork.

Iron_Chef said:
MAP

I noticed the Arenjun error as well on the map download. Will this be fixed in a future release? Or maybe Arenjun has broken away from Zamora? :?:

MongoosePaul said:
Profession should be in SP.

Spellcraft was removed, no synergy bonus for Knowledge (Arcana)

Perform (Ritual) is a skill for Stygians but will be featured in more depth in a future supplement - for now treat it like any other perform skill.

Prestidigitation is correct. Those who wish to take Conjuring have to take cross-class skills in sleight of hand. Given the acolytes are being trained then they'd know to practice their fingerwork.

Perform (ritual) will be apearing in what future supplement (scrolls of skelos)? If it's essentially worthless right now, why should anyone spend skill points bumping it up past the first two free background ranks?

The Black Ring acolytes can't possibly have the required 4 cross class skill ranks by scholar level 2 in order to learn Conjuring. At most they could have 2.5 ranks. That's why it doesn't make sense for them to have Prestidigitation as their 2nd level new sorcery style, unless you expect them to all be multi-classed thieves.

Page 62: New Sorcery Style, It refers to you Table 8-2 for the new sorcery styles but Table 8-2 is actually about Runaway Magic. The New Sorcery Styles Table is 8-3.

I haven't been able to read it all but so far I love it, can't wait for the other sourcebooks. :D

We could use a seperate section for FAQs and errata. If we confine it to this thread, it'll be pretty hefty later on. Maybe even an errata PDF? Hmm?

One of the main uses of Perform (ritual) is detailed on page 190, under Power Rituals, in which at least 20% of the performers of the ritual must possess the Perform (ritual) skill, as opposed to one of the more general variants of the general Perform skill. This presumes there is a small core group of the ritual participants performing the magic ritual, while the other performers are providing their "psychic energies" by singing, dancing, chanting, or what have you.

Hmmm... I suppose the orgy scene from "Conan the Barbarian" could be considered a ritual of sorts, gathering energies for Thulsa Doom's spellcasting... (^_^)

blacksagelobo said:
Yaralet is not a Zamoran city, at least REH never said it was. de Camp placed Turan. Rippke places it in Corthinia.

Corinthia? I am at work and don't have access to my books, but I thought Yaralet was located on the Zamorian marches, which is on the Hyrkanian/Turanian side of the mountains that form the eastern border of Zamora, which was eventually annexed by Turan. I wonder why Rippke places it in Corinthia.

Could somebody clarify Dodge/PArry modifiers. I had read that Parry would be fully used if one had a open square behind the character to "go with the blow" this does not seem to be the case. IT also states that if you Dodge with out a open or friendly 5' square you receive only a -2 to your DV, this doesn't seem right.

And furthermore, in the example given on page page 187 cites a -4 circumstance penalty since Lyle has no room to manoeuvre while he is dodging. So is the example on page 187 correct or the text on page 160 correct?

Oh, and just one more thing, Mongoose you seriously need better proofreaders, every product I have of yours has spelling errors as well as logic errors throughout the books. (Biggest whoopsie was the misspelling of Ultimate on the back cover of one of your products.)

Logic example: War sword: It is not listed on the chart as being a finessable weapon, however in it's description it states:
Any time a war sword is being wielded in one hand, it may not be used as a finesse weapon or to make piercing attacks.
Does this mean it can be used as a finesse weapon> If so why does it not clearly state so like in the Broadsword entry?

As far as spelling errors, there are several "as" that should be "at", Slight of Hand and then correctly in the text as sleight of hand, etc. etc.

VincentDarlage said:
Corinthia? I am at work and don't have access to my books, but I thought Yaralet was located on the Zamorian marches, which is on the Hyrkanian/Turanian side of the mountains that form the eastern border of Zamora, which was eventually annexed by Turan. I wonder why Rippke places it in Corinthia.
He placed it there based on circumstantial evidence:
This is a fragment of a Conan story and didn’t appear in the Miller-Clark outline. Lin Carter finished the story for the LANCER series, placing the location of Yaralet as northern Turan. Actually, the fragment doesn’t mention its location. It literally could be anywhere and anytime during Conan’s mercenary days. There are a few facts that can be gleaned from it, though. Conan is nearly unarmored as a mercenary, being dressed in sandals, a girdle and loin-cloth; except for the girdle, it’s the same outfit he wore in all of his thief stories. In Black Colossus, Conan mentions that, prior to his Khorajan adventure, he was a mercenary in Corinthia; nearly the same location as Rogues in the House. Both of those facts argue for The Hand of Nergal to be placed early in Conan’s mercenary career. Two of the primary characters are named Atalis and Prince Than; neither name seems particularly Turanian. Prince Than wears a feathered velvet cap. Since the Hyborian nobles of Khoraja are also described as wearing this type of cap, this could be seen as a Hyborian, rather than an Eastern, fashion. Most importantly, Nergal is a Mesopotamian god. There are only two other gods of this type mentioned in Howard’s world. Anu and Ishtar are the gods of Corinthia and Koth/Shem, respectively. From the fragment’s internal evidence, it seems reasonable to assume that this story takes place, not in Turan, but in Koth, Corinthia, or some adjacent Hyborian land. Taken all together, Yaralet is most likely a Corinthian city-state.

That makes sense. I would agree with him on that point. Dale Rippke 1; Lin Carter 0.

I am putting that in my notes. So far as I am concerned, Yaralet is in Corinthia.

if i'm not reading this wrong :p

page 25, 2 column, 2 cross(?)

+1 attack bonus if 6 range increments away or +2 if Nine range increments away is this correct? they are better at long range shots than short range shots?

thanks

More clarification needed:

Heavy armor only reduces your speed to 25? Is this correct, especially when a medium load reduces your speed to 20.

There are several references to a thing called a parry roll yet nothing is given how how to make such a roll.

Borderers need to be rethought, at least give them more skill points.

What is the two weapon combat proficency? Is this saying that some classes get the Two Weapon Combat Feat for free?

What was reasoning behind making swords so expensive? Why would one choose a Greatsword over a Bardiche besides flavor and availability? :wink:

With both the style of the game and the style of Howard's books the entire weapon focus/specialization chains seem to be made obsolete. Sure broadsword or arming sword might be great in Hyborean lands, but once you head south or east, you lose/break your weapon and neither of those will be on your selection list in the local village/bazaar.

And back to misspellings, the least Mongoose could have done was used a simple spellchecker... "arevery", "areskilled", etc. are not in any dictionary.

Back