Conan ARt Reference

tagnetti

Mongoose
Hi Guys, Working on some artwork that will potentially be part of the GM screen and other projects.

I am looking for as much reference I can get when it comes to weapons ,armor , outfits, environments and such. I prefer real photo's but ofcourse other art may help. Now ofcourse I know many places, but am still looking for any tips you may be able to provide, books, websites ,Mags etc.

Thanks in advance

Tom

tagnetti said:
Hi Guys, Working on some artwork that will potentially be part of the GM screen and other projects.

I am looking for as much reference I can get when it comes to weapons ,armor , outfits, environments and such. I prefer real photo's but ofcourse other art may help. Now ofcourse I know many places, but am still looking for any tips you may be able to provide, books, websites ,Mags etc.

Thanks in advance

Tom

I just got the new comic books yesterday and read them... sadly, I doubt Mongoose has any access to that art. Why not use art from the book itself? All the racial art (pp. 20-30, 36) is quite good. Page 82 is a must-have! :twisted:

Some images of swords:
http://filmswords.com/conan/conanframe.htm

The Savage World of Conan has many images of artwork:
http://www.conan.no/

Oh, yes the comic is quite nice and I will try and incorporate some Nordheim characters into the screen. That is nice reference for their costumes. In addition the books equipment and such will provide nice reference. I can just repose many characters in the book, but since I will probably paint this in Gouache I love photo reference. That sword site is very nice, Thanks

Here are my initial thoughts on the screens art

It will span 4 pages so there is lots of room to work. I am thinking of spreading from west to east across the map and taking characters from each region and incorporating them into it and their environments or possibly one epic battle. Another part I want to include is some adventuring scene( battling the elements) And a bit of sorcery. In addition I will have many of the combat images depicting special Combat Maneuvres from the book( such as To the Hilt, Decap, Pantherish twist etc..)

What do you guys think about that?

Look for the old Frazetta and Vallejo book covers from the 60's vintage paperbacks. Those captured Conan in all his glory, IMHO.

Your ideas sound fantastic, tagnetti! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Just curious, the icon you use...I've never seen that illustration before. Did you do that?

Thanks for the feedback. That illustration was actually done by Rudy Nebres, He has done some Conan work over the years mostly Savage Sword mags as well as Dr. Strange , the Hulk etc. We recently met at a comic convention and I was showing my colorist work and he asked If I would color an image from his book of art. So That is the part I played color and effects. It will be seeing print hopefully soon in his new book. He is a great artist and much of my anatomy practice has come from studying his work. I have a recent piece of Conan that I am painting now and if interested I can post it when finished. Id love if they made an art section of fan art. I love looking at others work.

I've always liked Nebres' work, but I don't recognize this illustration.

From the looks of it, you did a fantastic job on the colors. Might you be willing to upload a full size version (plus your other work) to the Conan D20 Yahoo Group?

Absolutely. I'm flattered that you'd want it. I'll upload the B&W and Color, I am working on a piece now, that one I am drawing and painting. It is also based on Nebres. I'll see what else I have that would be Conan suitable and throw it up. If you'd like as I work on different stages of the GM gatefold image I'll upload it. I'm working on it as I type this.

Thanks again and the image was actually published in Rudy Nebres Art collection book. Not sure if it made it elsewhere.

Tom

Have you seen the artwork by justin sweet I think he has a site somewhere?

As a newbie I look forward to the screen to make running the game a bit easier

Back