Conan: Aquilonia: Flower of the West

FuryMaster

Mongoose
I picked up my copy of Aquilonia yesterday and I must say that this is a brilliant peice of work. Vincent has outdone himself this time and Mongoose has packaged and put together a beautiful book. I am in the middle of running a Jeremiah game right now but I am excited about my next Conan campaign which will at least begin if not totally revolve around Auilonia.

I know there have been some complaints about the lack of maps in the book, and while I think a map of Tarantia, a manor house and the like would have been nice, they would mostly have been gravy. The book features a very nice map of Aquilonia itself on the inside covers, and the information in the text of the book certainly make up for any lack of maps. Great job Vincent and Mongoose, Aquilonia is my favorite book in the Conan RPG library, that is saying a lot since there are so many good ones in this series.

FuryMaster

I just got the book yesterday as well,
I have to say, mongoose has impressed me again, it’s a great book, just like across thunder river and road of kings, it opens up a great number of character concepts, adventure ideas it’s a great book,

I was expecting to see the hyperborea there also but I guess I will see them in a northern lands regional book? ( I hope)one that includes Cimmeria, Nordheim and Hyperborea, is such a book planned?

thanks!

FuryMaster said:
I picked up my copy of Aquilonia yesterday and I must say that this is a brilliant peice of work. Vincent has outdone himself this time and Mongoose has packaged and put together a beautiful book. Great job Vincent and Mongoose, Aquilonia is my favorite book in the Conan RPG library, that is saying a lot since there are so many good ones in this series.

Thank you!

Belkregos said:
I have to say, mongoose has impressed me again, it’s a great book, just like across thunder river and road of kings, it opens up a great number of character concepts, adventure ideas it’s a great book,

I was expecting to see the hyperborea there also but I guess I will see them in a northern lands regional book? ( I hope)one that includes Cimmeria, Nordheim and Hyperborea, is such a book planned?

thanks!

Hyperborea, as a full-blown country will probably get a book to itself in due course, as will Cimmeria and the Nordheim lands.

Yes, I picked up my copy of this today and have been reading it all day and all I can say is AWESOME! Great job Vincent, another fantastic work! :D

-Hollywood

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Belkregos said:

thanks!

Hyperborea, as a full-blown country will probably get a book to itself in due course, as will Cimmeria and the Nordheim lands.

That would be awesome !!!!! :D

Hope it won't involve Dark Horse comic book vision. You know - with uber-powerful immortal wizards, taking souls, breeding giants and generally making sword & sorcery look like those Realms that people usually Forget.

Mongoose Old Bear said:

By Ymir's frozen beard!

This is excellent news, I shall await this with anticipation.

I will probably be getting the new region book eventually, but I have no current plans to use Aquilonia in my game which is mostly in Zamoria and the surrounding area.

I do have interest in Nordheim though with several NPCs and pcs from that region in my game, not to mention its "Norse" feel.

I'm looking forward to the class book scheduled for next month (Borderer's/Barbarians etc).

Lando The Archmagi said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

I will probably be getting the new region book eventually, but I have no current plans to use Aquilonia in my game which is mostly in Zamoria and the surrounding area.

Aquilonia is a great book even if you don’t base your adventure there or have a PC from there, there’s a lot of information that can be used for NPC’s as well as adventure ideas that can be placed anywhere, I also found very interesting the Mercenary code of honor, take a look at the book I’m sure you’ll find a lot of useful info

I prefer this. I thought it was a book about usurping a throne, killing rivals and exploting the poor people.
But if it's about hippy gathering or botany, that is a book I want!

What an idea I wanted to grow thyme on my balcony.

I finally got my copy of this book. Another excellent book, good job to all involved !!!

I did however find it wasn't as good as AtTR. It seemed to me like it had allot of repeated material, and it still had quite a few typos and editing problems but nothing major by any means. Also I was a bit disappointed by the lack of maps, and the fact that some of the Gazetteer material didn't seem to quite match the map on the inside cover.

Some of the material in the book will probably never see use in my game, however, this same material was some of the best writing/fluff in the book (or in any of the books up to date) and therefore was very good reading. It did inspire allot of story and campaign ideas, which I assume is really what it's all about, isn't it?

The cover is great, and some of the interior art is very good, particularly the page 50-51 spread, very nice !!! Unfortunately, some of the art was also quite bland to me, even a little disappointing.

So all in all, I think this is a really good book. Congrats to Vincent, Mongoose and everyone else who was involved !!!!!

Keep them coming !!!

SS

its a good supplement but think in my opinion was just pipped by thunder river the breast did help its score alot :wink: but the maps in thunder screamed to me re-use which is always a bonus :D

Back