Conan and Vincent Darlage

On the subject of Cimmeria I think it likely that the area may be developed further through other forms of the Conan media, be it stories, computer games or movies. As such we will probably get quite a lot of help in developing the misty mountains into something more. I think the first clue came with Turtledove's Conan of Venarium...

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:
Hi Vincent,
I recently saw on amazon.com that there were some titles to be released for next year (you appear on all of these):
- Arms and armors
- Faiths and fervour
and of course Stygia, but no info on Shem.

Could you please confirm these books?

Confirmations: I have written Shem already. I have written Stygia already. I am almost done with Argos & Zingara. I have been assigned to write an equipment guide, but I haven't started it yet.

I have not officially been assigned to write Faith and Fervour yet, but have no reason at this point to think I won't be.

Sooo, what have you done for us lately?? :wink:

The King said:
I think it would be easier to produce a regional sourcebook on Nordheim, Cimmeria and Hyperborea all together. Though the cultures aren't exactly the same, they all live in small towns and practice raiding as a national sport.

I think that would be a great idea. :p

VincentDarlage said:
Yogah of Yag said:
The King said:
Excepted Stygia, there is no new regional book scheduled for the time being. :cry:

A regional book on CIMMERIA would be an obviously great next project for the 'Goose, providing plenty of data on the various tribes/clans of Cimmeria, terrain hazards, etc. as long as quotes/references distinguish between Howard and pastiche.

I would be hesitant to write a Cimmeria sourcebook. Other than a poem and a few hints from Howard, I would have little to work from. I also think Cimmeria should remain mythical and unknown - a dark spot on the map where civilised people fear to tread. I have disliked all the pastiches taking place in that forboding land but I am not sure I can really do better - in the sense of writing it definitively enough to please most people.

Cimmeria is the sort of place that caused Conan to drink himself to sleep when he started thinking about it - not a pleasant place at all. I would hate to see it become just another place to go - complete with some nifty pastiche tribes and some environmental hazards. Cimmeria is something more than that, and unless I could figure out how to write about that "something", I would hesitate to write it at all.

Certainly, the core of Howard's Hyboria is the motherland of its most important character. RPG is a rather loose system of interlocking algebraic equations where, at some point, all variables must be assigned some value. Why keep the algebraic variable of CIMMERIA an eternally empty variable? Not describing Cimmeria would be a tragic cop-out. Without at least a feeble definition of Cimmeria the entire construct, the total architecture of this RPG gameworld, would--if not collapse--then be structurally compromised.

***Walter M. Riggins
***CALTECH, Computer Science Lab

VincentDarlage said:
Yogah of Yag said:
The King said:
Excepted Stygia, there is no new regional book scheduled for the time being. :cry:

A regional book on CIMMERIA would be an obviously great next project for the 'Goose, providing plenty of data on the various tribes/clans of Cimmeria, terrain hazards, etc. as long as quotes/references distinguish between Howard and pastiche.

I would be hesitant to write a Cimmeria sourcebook. Other than a poem and a few hints from Howard, I would have little to work from. I also think Cimmeria should remain mythical and unknown - a dark spot on the map where civilised people fear to tread. I have disliked all the pastiches taking place in that forboding land but I am not sure I can really do better - in the sense of writing it definitively enough to please most people.

Cimmeria is the sort of place that caused Conan to drink himself to sleep when he started thinking about it - not a pleasant place at all. I would hate to see it become just another place to go - complete with some nifty pastiche tribes and some environmental hazards. Cimmeria is something more than that, and unless I could figure out how to write about that "something", I would hesitate to write it at all.

Certainly, the core of Howard's Hyboria is the motherland of its most important character. RPG is a rather loose system of interlocking algebraic equations where, at some point, all variables must be assigned some value. Why keep the algebraic variable of CIMMERIA an eternally empty variable? Not describing Cimmeria would be a tragic cop-out. Without at least a feeble definition of Cimmeria the entire construct, the total architecture of this RPG gameworld, would--if not collapse--then be structurally compromised.

***Walter M. Riggins

There already is a good enough description of Cimmeria... It's in the Road of Kings. I don't think anything more is rerquired.

SS

Walter M. Riggins said:

***Walter M. Riggins

Of course, my hesitation to write such a thing is not the same as a refusal to write such a thing. Even if I do not feel up to the task today, that does not mean I won't feel up to it tomorrow. If I don't feel up to it ever, I am sure there is an author out there somewhere convinced he can pull it off.

Still, not everything algebraic is defined well, such as division by zero. So, if a does not equal 0, solve 0x=a, and you can find Cimmeria. Having an undefined equation does not invalidate or compromise algebra, so I doubt leaving Cimmeria vague will invalidate or compromise Conan the Roleplaying Game.

ALGEBRA?!?

It was my understanding there would be no math!

Plus, Didn't I write a perfectly good Cimmerian sourcebook?

*Holds his mighty war axe up for a split second, before bringing it down heavily upon the head of Maths, and it's teachers everywhere*

Conan wouldn't care for maths, therefore neither should we! :wink:

Ant said:
A question for Vincent...

Your CONAN D20 site 404's at http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/hosted/adilbrand/conan.htm...

Has it just been lost in the EN World server move?

Or have you pulled it because of all the official Conan d20 stuff you're doing for Mongoose?

Cordialement,
Ant

The address has changed. It is now: http://enworld.org/Inzeladun/conan.htm

If you click the "www" button below my name, it should also take you there.

Because of my work for Mongoose, however, it has not been updated in over a year or more. I haven't had time to mess with it.

Back