Conan and the shadow of the sorcerer?

Very disappointing. This was the number 1 Conan product I was waiting for. Ah well, time to shelve my Conan books :(

I am really really annoyed about this. The Shadow of the Sorceror was really what the Conan line needed, and for it to be simply cancelled, when it was obviously already written seems absurd. Why has this happened? Damn, I'm really really peeved about this.

Lucius said:
I am really really annoyed about this. The Shadow of the Sorceror was really what the Conan line needed, and for it to be simply cancelled, when it was obviously already written seems absurd. Why has this happened? Damn, I'm really really peeved about this.

Still nothing in "Announcements and Release Dates" about the big WHY...

*Sigh*- I wonder about Mongoose sometimes. They don't seem that interested in actually producing a product on time and maintaining a fan base. These aren't practices that help a company stay alive. I'd hate to see Conan get orphaned like MERP, another fine game. Loads better than Decipher's pale offerings.

The first Mongoose book I purchased was Free Companies, which, to be quite honest, was disappointing at best. However, I gave them a second chance and bought Road of Kings (marvelous!) and a few other items, and I see that their standard of production has improved, so I'm willing (tentatively) to cut them some slack. When Mongoose has exceedingly talented and well-read contributors such as Mr. Darlage on their team, I have no doubt their future will be quite bright.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading the author writing in another thread that he was delayed due to outside problems preventing him from completing this product. So it was the author who had to stop, Mongoose was dealing with him by pushing it back and giving him the time he needed.

I'd guess he just had other problems that prohibited him from finishing this piece.

Yogah of Yag said:
The first Mongoose book I purchased was Free Companies, which, to be quite honest, was disappointing at best. However, I gave them a second chance and bought Road of Kings (marvelous!) and a few other items, and I see that their standard of production has improved, so I'm willing (tentatively) to cut them some slack. When Mongoose has exceedingly talented and well-read contributors such as Mr. Darlage on their team, I have no doubt their future will be quite bright.

Funny - I loved Free Companies. It adds so much to a rpg that can be a challenge to diversify the adventures. All the products from Mongoose are very good though.

Seems like it's hard to blame mongoose for the Shadow cancellation - even the author has said as much. Still makes me mad as a campaign needs to be done for this rpg - i would rather get a campaign then a supplement on equipment or additional regional source books.

Okay, I'll blame the author for Shadow- but Mongoose has to learn how international distibution works at some point. Release date + 60 days isn't terribly professional.

Bregales said:
I can't remember where, but I remember reading the author writing in another thread that he was delayed due to outside problems preventing him from completing this product. So it was the author who had to stop, Mongoose was dealing with him by pushing it back and giving him the time he needed.

I'd guess he just had other problems that prohibited him from finishing this piece.

I don't want to invent gossip, but IIRC:

the author didn't catch the 1st deadline due to health problems, so Shadow was delayed until the author could complete his work. This DONE this winter was set as new release date.

Like I said I don't want to trade rumours, but this is what I recall from the infos given on this forum.

Thanks Rene, I couldn't remember too well what the circumstances were and I didn't want it to sound like rumour, but maybe I still did without intention. I was just trying to relate that the author couldn't make the deadline and Mongoose was complying with the delays best they could.

Thanks for clarifying. :oops:

D'oh, that makes classbooks the biggest scheduled releases for Conan. Yeah, good material is always welcome, but I miss hardbacks.

All I know is that I haven't be able to get anything Conan for over two months now despite having multiple 'pre-orders' in place. I don't want to order form the Internet though- buying my manuals from the FLGS [Friendly Local Gaming Store] helps keep them open so we there can be a place to play. I am willing to take a few for the team so to speak. I' d hate to have to drive two hours to the next closest gaming store.

I would if they'd stock more. There's only one place in Manhattan that has a role-playing collection (well 2 if you count Neutral Ground, and I've been to a store in a mall in Jersey ( :roll: ) but neither stocks Conan products) and they only carry half the product line in their store. Since I'd pay 2ce as much to order from the Manhattan store (Complete Strategist) online as I would the other online places, I go to the other online places. It's Manhattan, all space is at a premium. Store's too small to stock everything, only the biggest games have fuller stock of products. Otherwise, I'd do likewise. :wink:

Used to be a great gaming store in the city where I grew up (city-loosely put) but it closed a decade ago.

The what?

That plan that is still nowhere past laying in a cornerstone (literally, that's all that has been done to date. Now arguments over the plan design again have stalled it.

Oh, I thought you meant "The Freedom Tower." Well, considering the cost of rent, every store and closet besides big ones like Macy's or Bloomingdales, are closet-sized. Complete Strategist is at the Empire State Building, and it's still a closet with 2' wide hallways (it's a box store w/ shelves along walls & a shelf in middle, 2'wide halls). It's tiny.

Tall buildings=expensive rent. Everything's incredibly expensive here. Cost of Living rose 450% since 1992.

So, online is my best friend.... :shock:

The Compleat Strategist doesn't have Conan in stock? Seems the one near me keeps at least one of every conan product availabe in the US in stock all the time.

Not everything. They don't have 4 or 5 books for the Conan line. They have a copy of Shadizar boxed set, but not Messantia 'cause it takes up too much shelf space. They used to have 2 stores: a store for rpgs and one for board games, but since they couldn't afford to keep both opnen they combined stocks into the smaller store at the Empire State Bldg.

Back