come back to traveller

mesaratz

Mongoose
Hi all!!!
I am starting to play Traveller again after about 10 years dug out all my little black books :D .. only to discover that there is a new game out :x so off to the game shop to buy said books (started small just getting one or two first)... well the character generation seems a lot better, but i am a bit confused about the way it is rolled and would like some help if possible :shock: .
When we use to roll on the old game we use to roll/pick 4 skills per term (well that’s the way we played it lol :D ) BUT the new one seems to let the player roll on one table then age four years ... am i doing something wrong or am i just losing the plot!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Any help would be a Big help
Many thanks

John `mesaratz`

Perhaps what you are remembering was the rules added in High Guard and Mercenary and the like, wherein you might, depending on your assignment, get to roll one skill each year of the term?

Otherwise, MgT (the current version) does follow the rules in the CT (Classic Traveller) little black book 1 pretty closely in terms of how skill rolls are handled.

I tried to find a link to it by way of the search tool, but didn't have any success yet - there is an entire thread here that shows character creation step by step, for three characters, I believe, that proved useful to me in understanding the process.

Remember Traveller is mostly a 2D6 game system. Try not to let to may skills get to level 3 or higher. You get a bunch of 0 level skills to help round things out.

You can allso hand out extra skill levels. If the players are under skilled for what is to come. By haveing the bar fight that starts the adventure. Happen while everyone is doing refresher or addvanced training of some kind. :mrgreen:

Level 0 in Mongoose is no different than Level 1 in old game so pre-career skills and basic training add a great pile of Level 0 while standard career generation add 1-4 per term (including improved characteristics) at leve1 1 each. You roll 1-2 skills every term, can sometimes get one from Events and another with some promotions. With luck you end up with far more skills than Classic Trav or Classic Merc.

jwpacker said:
I tried to find a link to it by way of the search tool, but didn't have any success yet - there is an entire thread here that shows character creation step by step, for three characters, I believe, that proved useful to me in understanding the process.
Search on thread titled "Mongoose Character Generation for Dummies"

Back