Character Classes?

Mondain

Mongoose
Are there still no character classes in Runequest (like in the old edition) ?

Is the character creation random or point-buy?

Thanks.

Still no character classes although the same idea of 'previous profession' continues to be used for generating much of your starting skill points.

Attributes are rolled randomly, previous profession is chosen. Finally you are allocated some extra skill points to do with as you please. Reminds me a lot of Call of Cthulhu's character generation approach to be honest.

Yeah, no character classes. THank the powers that be for that.

Bluyjay pretty much summed up character creation too. You also get to pick a cultural background (Barbarian, Peasant, Towsnamns, or Noble) that gives you some more skills and lets you pick skills off a list (Ken Hite's contribution? Look sort like CODA).

You get about 70 skill points during backgrround, another 5o or so during profession, and a 100 Free Points to spread around as desired (max of 30 to one skill).

THe numbers can vary a little between backgrounds and professions though.

That sounds utterly perfect to me. The right combination of background giving a kickstart and some direction, with some freedom to develop the character how you want along the way, plus a sensible cap so that things don't get out of hand.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
That sounds utterly perfect to me. The right combination of background giving a kickstart and some direction, with some freedom to develop the character how you want along the way, plus a sensible cap so that things don't get out of hand.

So then you won't be looking at the rules for advanced characters? :wink:

On pages 103-104 there are rulees for beinging as a more experienced character (GM willing). There are foiur different categoreiss (Seasoned, Veteran, Master, and Hero) or advanced characters. Each gets about 50% more free skill points than the previous category, and raises the max by 20 points until you hit 90. THey also get more money, magic, improved characteristics, money, hero points, and possibly some legendary abilties.

But you do want to see that, right? :wink: :D

atgxtg said:
GbajiTheDeceiver said:

So then you won't be looking at the rules for advanced characters? :wink:

On pages 103-104 there are rulees for beinging as a more experienced character (GM willing). There are foiur different categoreiss (Seasoned, Veteran, Master, and Hero) or advanced characters. Each gets about 50% more free skill points than the previous category, and raises the max by 20 points until you hit 90. THey also get more money, magic, improved characteristics, money, hero points, and possibly some legendary abilties.

But you do want to see that, right? :wink: :D
Probably not. :lol:

I like grotty nobodies...

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
Probably not. :lol:

I like grotty nobodies...

Ah who cares about the players! I talking NPCs man! NPCs! :D :D

Harrek's great great great...

...great grandfather! :D

Back