Centauri vs Narn

Picaboo

Mongoose
Now that we know the statistics of Centauri and Narn warships, who do you think has the advantage?

I personnaly think the Narns have the advantage. The Frazis have the same stats as Sentri (except a -1 to Handling and Sensors) but have twin-linked cannons vs a single cannon for Sentris.

The GQuan is fragile but at least it has weapon in every arc. The Vorchan can only fire forward (should we rename the forward twin laser array to a particle weapon?) and the Primus also (is a typo: 8 twin arrays forward but none to the side or rear arc?)

So...what's your opinion? :lol:

The centauri have at last the higher industrial output, that`s a great point for any war.

think the centauri have the more trained units in higher numbers and have a long time of battle tactic training. With the much stronger industrial output the can win the war on the long run. :idea:

Wait until the Mass Driver rules come out and then the Centauri will definetly have the advantage. You don't have to worry too much about an enemies fleet when you have the ability to pound his Homeworld into dust.

personnaly think the Narns have the advantage. The Frazis have the same stats as Sentri (except a -1 to Handling and Sensors) but have twin-linked cannons vs a single cannon for Sentris.
Well... that would be a bad of the game makers, since we Saw in the show that Sentri's have twin guns too.

The GQuan is fragile but at least it has weapon in every arc. The Vorchan can only fire forward (should we rename the forward twin laser array to a particle weapon?) and the Primus also (is a typo: 8 twin arrays forward but none to the side or rear arc?)
Well...
For one the "standard arcs" available in the mongoose space combat system are quite limited (The Vorchan small guns Should be the same particle weapons as on the Primus, and shopuld have a 270° arc to the front - can fire everywhere except directly aft, while their PA should have at least a 45° fore arc, as we saw those guns firing elsewhere... and the Vorchan should have some missile bits in it's wings, see "In the Beginning"; while the Primus 4 fore arrays should also have at least a 270° fore arc, while it's rear arrays should have the arc shifted 45° to the sides - 2 port, 2 starboard).
But what really bugs me anout those ships stats are the Primus lasers... it has two twin-linked ones doing 40+4d10, while an Omega Destroyer has four lasers doung 80+8d10... and the Centauri are supposed to be technologically better then the EA! Range you say? Well, in AoG's B5W the Centauri Battle laser Had a range advantage to offset it's slightly lower damage - but there it had -1/4hex to the HL's -1/3hex, while 4d10+12 to the HL's 4d10+20; and here... Narn G'Quan HL Range 5, Hyperion HL - Range 6, Omega HL - Range 7 and the Primus with Range 6...
Oh, well... it's not as if a GM really has to stick to those figures for his campaign after all...

Some of you have assumed that if the Narn ships were better on a 1 for 1 basis then the Narns should win the war.

Remember that the US Sherman tank couldn't take on a German Tiger tank 1 on 1.

The ME 262 was superior to most if not all allied fighters but that didn't keep them from being blown up on the ground by the inferior allied fighters and bombers.

The Zero fighter and Japaneese pilots were better than what the US had at the start of their war but the US kept pumping out more fighters, ships and men than the Japaneese could ever hope to do.

When you have numerical superiority that can make all the difference.

Just ask General Custer.

I think in the Centauri trilogy, they mentioned that the Centauri kept a large portion of their fleet in inactive reserve and when a war broke out they could call on many more ships.

Sidney

El Cid said:
I think in the Centauri trilogy, they mentioned that the Centauri kept a large portion of their fleet in inactive reserve and when a war broke out they could call on many more ships.

Yeah, AoG fluff also had this one. And it makes sense for the history...

However, what I meant was the fact that the Centauri were supposed to be older and technologically more advanced then the Narn by quite a bit, even though the Narn did grab a lot when they kicked the fanheads off their world for the first time.
And they're Especially more advanced then the EA, who had to run to the Narns to buy stuff they got from the Centauri decades ago.
So it does not make sense that the Centauri ships have the worst weapon of those three.

Hey, they're supposed to be a lion that just had forgotten how to bite, having the weapons but lacking the will, not a toothless old kitty.

Aad as for the "grudge match"... I also see the Centauri having poorly trained (or at least poorly acting, because they just can't muster the determination) crews, also because they probably see regular exercises as too much of a waste of time.

The Narn crews on the other hand are cutting edge military minds (if a bit single-minded ones), well trained and determined to be the best they can be, so that they will emerge victorious when they go after the Centauri's throats.

So I'd say the 2257 Centauri should have slightly better ships and a large stockpile of mothballed warships, but worse crews and especially a strategic slowness to act (as they are likely to be burdened with lots of burocractic rules and decadent officers who got their position through house connections in spite of thier lack of ability), while the Narns should have slightly lower tech (since they certainly couldn't have been able to capture all Centauri tech, as it was mentioned in S-5 that shipbuilding was only done in secure systems, not ones such as narn under the centauri occupation, with an very active resistance...), but better crews (since those put their hearts into it, not like the bulk of the "tired" centauri), better morale (a centauri captain should be quick to withdraw if the battle looks like he cound get hurt even if he might win, while a narn captain will probably stay even if he expects to loose if he can at least take one or two centauri ships with him), and more strategic flexibility.
Of course, as Refa's "new lions" gain more and more power and positions (and especially after the other guys start getting killed in action once the Narn start their attacks), the Centauri disadvantages start to disappear, while more and more warships are reactivated for duty (and their better spy network gives them one more edge).
The end result was inevitable, and would have been the same even without Londo's associates sealing the fate of narn at Gorash - it'd just have taken more time (remember G'Sten's words - they made that Gorash gamble because the war was going badly in the first place).

Is the Centauri fighter detailed in any books yet? As i have not been able to get them all yet. Having to pick and choose. Planning a small Narn/Centauri dustoff :D

thanks

Garet said:
Is the Centauri fighter detailed in any books yet? As i have not been able to get them all yet. Having to pick and choose. Planning a small Narn/Centauri dustoff :D

thanks

The Comeing of Shadows has it, as I recall.

Sidney

In the description of the Sentri in "The Coming of Shadows" they mention a pair of linked particle guns (as we saw in the show); a pity that never made into the stats below.

DW

Back