Klingon Tactics

Any updates on these thoughts with the latest errata (2012-05-16/16512)? Points have shifted round a bit with D5W/D5/D7 all about the same cost (D5W is +10) now.

I have to confess, whilst I originally agreed the Turn 3 Agile of the frigates was not so useful, I have found it very useful in taking on/drawing off FFBs. In a recent game, a single F6 drew off two FFB's due to just its Agile/3 manoeuvrability. Whilst the FFBs survived due to a lot of BEtS they were struggling to cope, picking up rear arc fire from passing D7C/D6's whilst they tried to pin down the F6.

Any advice on tips and tricks to use against specific enemy fleets?

My Klingons seem to do well enough against Federation opponents, but they tend to do a lot worse when up against Romulan opponents.

I also have no experience with Gorn or Kzinti.

So any advice for specific tips and tricks to use against specific fleets would be helpful.

We sat down and played a Fed v Klingon Ambush, with Feds as defenders, this weekend. 2 OCLs and a Constitution-Class against an F5 and a D6. Klingons took down both the OCLs, but it was noticed that the Feds have really quite excellent fields of fire. The F5 managed to warp away in time, but the D6 got crippled and taken out by the Heavy Cruiser.
I guess the takeaway lesson that we got is the Klingons can be very powerful but it's all about their movement and presentation of the forward shields - one torpedo hit on the rear arc of the D6 from an OCL that was able to pull of a high enery turn all but doomed it and meant it had to fight a rearguard action while the F5 limped away to get fixed. I'd post a report, but I can't remember any exact details of criticals etc - I know that the Klingons were luckier than they should have been as they wiped out an OCL on turn 2, and the Federation were very unlucky until that one HET whipped an OCL round to take out the D6 with torpedos.

Also, with regard to the Turn 3 Agile Frigates - can they move 6", turn twice (agile too) and still overload their weapons? Might be useful in close quarters in a big game, though I acknowledge that is in no way where they want to be.

climbingamountain said:
Also, with regard to the Turn 3 Agile Frigates - can they move 6", turn twice (agile too) and still overload their weapons? Might be useful in close quarters in a big game, though I acknowledge that is in no way where they want to be.

A turn 3 agile ship could, in a 6" span, turn 90 degrees twice and still overload weapons. That would essentially be a 180 degree turn in a 3" box and in close quarters that might line up a shot.

Back