Centauri Name for Unexplored System

BeronTheGrey

Mongoose
Just a little something from a short game I'm currently running: what name would the Centauri give to an unexplored system? The Earth survey team that originally mapped it in 2255 gave it the prosaic name of system 2255/1157-7 (denoting that it was the 7th system surveyed in 2255 by the EarthForce survey vessel number 1157); but what would the Centauri who *originally* surveyed that system have called it?

Simon D. Taylor

Your guess is as good as mine, but I would wager the centauri Republic (Lion of the galaxy and all that) would use a more poetic / less pragmatic naming convention for new systems.

From there, you could try to find a Centauri sounding name (doh!), something like (from the top of my sleepy head) : Drefari, Raktellia, Birmindo, Callierta...

Just my two ducats for the glory of the empire!

redlaco said:
Your guess is as good as mine, but I would wager the centauri Republic (Lion of the galaxy and all that) would use a more poetic / less pragmatic naming convention for new systems.

From there, you could try to find a Centauri sounding name (doh!), something like (from the top of my sleepy head) : Drefari, Raktellia, Birmindo, Callierta...

OK, thanks. I'll have to think of something like that. Alas, I foolishly lent my copy of the Centauri book to one of my players after the last game (well, he's playing the sole Centauri character, now onboard the EAS Emperor Norton enroute to said system to find out what happened to the IPX team . . .)

Just my two ducats for the glory of the empire!

Ironic, considering that in the background to the adventure, the last Centauri to visit the system bombarded the inner-most world with mass-drivers, quarantined the entire system, and then consigned the entire matter to the depths of their House's Purple Files. For the "glory of the Empire", ahem. :oops:

Simon D. Taylor

BeronTheGrey said:
Ironic, considering that in the background to the adventure, the last Centauri to visit the system bombarded the inner-most world with mass-drivers, quarantined the entire system, and then consigned the entire matter to the depths of their House's Purple Files. For the "glory of the Empire", ahem. :oops:
Indeed, Centauri are portrayed as the megalomaniac empire who lost the means of their ambition. They're also decadent and always plotting for the advancement of their houses. Culturally, it's a mix of Drow Elves, Renaissance Italians and decadent ancient Rome. :twisted: But you already know all that and more... What's important is that they are a great race for roleplaying opportunities.

redlaco said:
Culturally, it's a mix of Drow Elves, Renaissance Italians and decadent ancient Rome. :twisted:

That's exactly why I simply *HAVE GOT* to love them...

Twis-ted !

petitbilbo

PS : sometimes, I regret not being able to PLAY B5... I'm sure I'd make a perfect Centauri...
Alas, the burden of being a GM... 8)

petitbilbo said:
redlaco said:
Culturally, it's a mix of Drow Elves, Renaissance Italians and decadent ancient Rome. :twisted:

That's exactly why I simply *HAVE GOT* to love them...

Twis-ted !

petitbilbo

PS : sometimes, I regret not being able to PLAY B5... I'm sure I'd make a perfect Centauri...
Alas, the burden of being a GM... 8)

If you're the GM you can 'play' as many Centauri NPCs as you like!

So what if the adventure is set on Narn, full of Centauri NPCs is Narn!

:D

LBH

lastbesthope said:
If you're the GM you can 'play' as many Centauri NPCs as you like!

Yep, I see your point...

But I'd like to play a character in somebody ELSE's campaign!

8)

petitbilbo

PS : No, but seriously, I'm playing since 1982 and since my very first game, I'm a GM. I'd like sooo much just to play B5 and not to GM it. :cry:

lastbesthope said:
petitbilbo said:
PS : No, but seriously, I'm playing since 1982 and since my very first game, I'm a GM. I'd like sooo much just to play B5 and not to GM it. :cry:
Time to abdicate I think then!
I find myself in the same situation ; I consider myself a decent player and a below-average GM, but since nobody wants to GM d20 in my group (they're into GURPS), so here I am... An unwilling GM who'd prefer to play. :|

But, I still got to play in the B5 universe, so all is not lost. :D

Thanks El Cid for the invitation. So I gather we can join while the game is in progress, or would I have to wait until the current one comes to an end ?

My game is more like life. People (PCs) enter and then go off on their own or meet other PCs and do their own things.

I have some story arcs that your PC might become involved in or not.

One of the posters here has a PC with two personalities, another is a Markeb female who has a small shop in the Zocolo and is just returning from a boring job working for a human expedition, a female Narn doctor who works for Dr. Franklin, a male human pilot in charge of B5's fighters, A PSI Corps commercial teep, two male Minbari one works as a courier pilot for Delin and the other is castless who works for a private security firm on B5.

There are others who set up their PC along with detailed background which I have used in the ROLE playing but I dropped out for various reasons. Some of those PCs are being played by me as NPCs but are available to the original players should they return.

Each player has been given a lot of freedom although I have had to reign some of them in from time to time. "No, you can't destroy the entire Shadow fleet with your Starfury. Besides you haven't seen or heard of the Shadows, yet." :D

The Yahoo Group is b5_rpg.

Sidney

Sidney,

Hi you dont know me but I haunt these boards (bwhahhhaaaaa). Much like others I am running a B5 game and yet yearn to play in one! If you have a spot open up on you PBEM I would love to be included. feel free to email me at nephandi24@yahoo.com for info or to get to know me.

thank you
Oscar

Back