Celestia as a potential gaming tool

redlaco

Mongoose
There's an interesting thread on FirstOnes.com forums about the software Celestia and its B5 "plug-ins". It's a real-time space explorer. I'll have to try it out to see if it could ever be used as a gaming tool to aid the players visualizing some ships during play. It might even come handy for ACtA games. Of course, I'll have to get myself a notebook to bring to the gaming table. Imagine that as you play all your mp3 B5 tracks on the background...

Or maybe I'm trying too much ? :?

I mean I'm usually hesitant about bringing a computer to a game as it may prove too distractive, but after all, B5 is a science-fiction so it would be fiiting, methinks.

What do you all think ? Have you tried Celestia as a gaming aid ?

redlaco said:
There's an interesting thread on FirstOnes.com forums about the software Celestia and its B5 "plug-ins". It's a real-time space explorer. I'll have to try it out to see if it could ever be used as a gaming tool to aid the players visualizing some ships during play. It might even come handy for ACtA games. Of course, I'll have to get myself a notebook to bring to the gaming table. Imagine that as you play all your mp3 B5 tracks on the background...

Or maybe I'm trying too much ? :?

I mean I'm usually hesitant about bringing a computer to a game as it may prove too distractive, but after all, B5 is a science-fiction so it would be fiiting, methinks.

What do you all think ? Have you tried Celestia as a gaming aid ?

I know what you mean. Music is one thing, it can help with setting the mood with RPG's. However, using a PC strikes me as being a bit of a double-edged sword. It can help explain things visually, after all a picture is worth a thousand words. However, it also takes the focus out of the game a little, and could disrupt the game if the players suddenly start talking about what PC game they played last, how the latest set of Nvidia drivers work, etc.

That said, still worth having a look at though.

Chobbly

Even when I have had my laptop at games, I haven't found it to be of much use. Better to have everything printed out ahead of time. I have used theme music for games on occasion, but in those cases, I used the stereo.

Back