Can someone give a quick overview and review of Battlefront?

A

Anonymous

$30 almost buys one DVD box set or a month's supply of DSL + blank DVDs, and it's not money I want to spend without some more data than the short blurb Mongoose put up.

I picked up Battlefront yesterday and read it last night.

This is the book you need if you really want to know what is in the Wars Solar System, including distances for travel purposes and local conditions. You also get a set of very nicely done prestige classes and some excellent advice about playing and running "ExtraSolar" characters (aliens, that is). There are some good GM tips and expansions about the lives of all of the Wars factions beyond what you had in the core book. Finally, you get a big section of new Kizen abilities that will give your characters even more powers to choose from.

While I'm not personally wild about Kizen powers, they are an integral part of the Wars background- just as magic is in any fantasy game- so I'm glad Mongoose is being so thorough with them. The rest of the book is as necessary as can be.

What there is not in the book- that I really wish was there- is further expansion on how to modify spacecraft. You get lots of descriptive material about how each Hellcat fighter is a hotrodded version, unique for each pilot (gotta make mission planning a bitch, though...), but they have yet to give you definitive spaceship construction rules. This means that you have the stock spacecraft from the core book and you have an assortment of spacecraft in the Incursion adventure book. The fighters listed in Incursion have minor variations in their stat numbers, but there are no notes on how this was accomplished and the Battlefront book does not help. My only gripe really.

Wars RPG continues to be what I had hoped it would be and I'm quite happy to have picked up all three books that have hit the shelves here. :)

cmdrpowers said:
Wars RPG continues to be what I had hoped it would be and I'm quite happy to have picked up all three books that have hit the shelves here. :)

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I've been tinkering with an extensive set of rules for ship design & modification, including prices, options, upgrades, blah, blah, blah. It's not there yet, but perhaps it will be soon.

GregLynch said:
I've been tinkering with an extensive set of rules for ship design & modification, including prices, options, upgrades, blah, blah, blah. It's not there yet, but perhaps it will be soon.

Oo sweet.. so when you submitting it? just so i can prep the guys for playtesting it LOL

Neo said:
Oo sweet.. so when you submitting it? just so i can prep the guys for playtesting it LOL

I'm actually working on other projects right now - just doing this for a little mental exercise when I can resist the lure of things like the x-box, pool tables, home improvement (that part's easier to resist, but don't tell the wife). Of course, part of the mental exercise is asking myself 'Hmmm, how do I do this without including 750+ tables?' :)

Back