Camels?

tarkhan bey

Mongoose
Hey guys, anyone know where stats can be found for camels in Legend or RQ?

@Wolf

If they don't exist already, camels would be a useful addition to SGB. :D

I wrote up camels for Legend as part of my prep for a Zothique game.

Here are the stats I used. Apologies in advance for the crappy formatting that comes with dropping a pre-formatted bunch of text into the forum.

Camel (Dromedary)
This animal is the essential companion of desert dwellers. Thanks to its broad feet, it can walk on sand without sinking. The fatty hump enables it to go for weeks without drinking or eating. They are robust and obstinate.

Characteristics: Attributes:
Char. Roll Average MOV 10
STR 4D6+18 32 HP 23
CON 2D6+6 13 MP 10-11
SIZ 4D6+18 32 DB +3D6
POW 3D6 10-11
DEX 3D6 10-11
Armour: 3 points
Weapons:
Attack Skill Damage
Spit 40% -1D3 CHA
Bite 25% 1D6
Kick 10% 1D6+DB
Skills: Go Without Water 85%, Obstinate 60%
Habitat: Arid Deserts.

The CHA damage from camel spit is more in a mildly humourous style as camel spit is pretty foul. If this offends your sensibilities drop the spit and go for a the bite and kick.

Sorry but I had to add my 2 bits, a slightly less robust camel with a better nature :)
Very similar in stats to a horse, just a little tougher, with reasons why a camel is better in the desert.

CREATURE NAME: Camel - the ship of the desert
STR: 3d6+18
CON: 3d6+10
SIZ: 2d6+18
INT: 4
POW: 3d6
DEX: 2d6+3
CHA: N/A

Combat Actions 2, Damage Mod +d12, Strike Rank +7, Magic Points 11, Movement Rate 16m (12m on soft sand, compared to a horses 8m)

Kick 35% 1d4+DB Medium Medium As leg
Bite 25% 1d4 Short Medium
Spit 45% 0 damage Short Long N/A
Spit: Opposed roll vs evade (or possibly parry/unarmed) to avoid being blinded for one combat action.

Typical armour: hide - no penalty
Skills: Athletics 60%, Brawn 60%, Desert survival 55%, Resilience 70%

Notes on the benefits of the camel, by Hephestiles the explorer:

Camels can travel many days without food or water. When riding a horse for more than half a day, you always have to be aware of water sources.
Camels are quieter and gentler than horses. Situations that could panic a horse will scarcely cause any concern for a camel. If a horse gets really spooked, it may bolt and run off -- a dangerous situation. Camels will rarely act in such an insensible manner. However, camels will sometimes buck, for no other reason than sheer exuberance. Hang on!
Camels seem smarter than horses about getting themselves out of a precarious situation. If a horse gets tangled up in a rope, it may struggle violently and get rope burns (or worse). A tangled up camel will, after briefly testing the bonds, sit quietly and figure out what to do next. If trapped in deep quicksand a camel, instead of struggling and getting in deeper like a horse would do, may well sit quietly for a moment while analyzing the situation, then roll over on her side in order to neatly extricate her legs and get out.
Camels can carry more weight than horses. Also, a well-designed camel saddle has more room to carry whatever extra gear you are packing than a horse saddle does. Camels may also have more endurance, although of course training level is important.
Riding a camel is quiet and peaceful (that is, once the camel is well trained enough that it no longer grumbles along the way). Camel's slipper-like feet make hardly any noise. Without the clip-clop of hooves, you can hear the wind sighing in the brush, the rustle of autumn leaves, a desert dog howl in the distance on a moonlight ride or an enemies approach.
Camels do not need to be shod. The cost of shoeing horses can really add up! You can make money with a well-trained camel. Not so easy to do with a horse!

This is I believe covered in an earlier thread.
Loz presented stats for Camels in the RQ 'Elric of Melbone Companion' on page 76. I think these were posted on a thread somewhere.

havercake lad said:
This is I believe covered in an earlier thread.
Loz presented stats for Camels in the RQ 'Elric of Melbone Companion' on page 76. I think these were posted on a thread somewhere.

First hit Google gave me: http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=45758 Here's Loz's version of camels.

Back