Buying ships

Itkovian

Mongoose
I just want to get folks opinions on this, it's probably a dumb question but I have known rules be dumb (though not so far ACTA)

In SFOS it states one can split a battle point into one raid and two skirmish ships. Simply put can one choose instead to buy say, one raid and two patrol ships instead. I can't see any reason why not as it is not like you are gaining anything...

This came up towards the end of our last campaign A 10pt Battle game where both sides were to put it mildly scratching around for ships to field, it was so bad the Centauri even fielded Havens!

TTFN

No, in SFOS rules you can't do that. The only ways of spliting a Battle point are 2 Raid, 3 Skirmish, 4 Patrol or 1 Raid/2 Skirmish.

In Armageddon you could do it, however. But pure SFOS, no.

In a campaign, with insufficient ships, there is no reason why you couldn't take ships of a lower priority level.

In your specific example, taking 2 patrol ships in place of 2 skirmish ships, is obviously hampering yourself. However, if you have no choice, there should be no complaints.

Greg Smith said:
In a campaign, with insufficient ships, there is no reason why you couldn't take ships of a lower priority level.
Apart from... the rules?
No reason not to houserule it, though.

And actually Greg depending on the circumstances and the opponent you might be getting something out of it. Being able to go down from a skirmish combat ship that is not effective against the race you are about to fight to gain say a scout with stealth. (Think Vree here going against centauri/minbari, do you really want hull 4 Xorr or hull 3 Vaarls with steal at 6+ in their prefered range for re-directing.)

That Burger is right about the rule is important to some folks.

And while yes you can house rule it, at least for our campaign we have been trying very hard not to do too many houe rules mid-campaign unless a convincing majority is for the rule change.

And yes we have folks who actually pour over the others guys list to know exactly what he can and cannot bring and make their plans accordingly. YOu would think the random rolls would stop that kind of thing but they work out the most likely results, most likely other attacks, etc. What can I say, must go back to that American power gamer gene.

Ripple

Burger said:
Apart from... the rules?

How about the rule:
If you are fighting multiple battles or have a battered fleet after several losses, you may not be able to field a large enough force to all of your Fleet Allocation Points. In this case, you will be taking a smaller fleet to the battle and will have to fight that much harder. You are never required to field a fleet that uses all of your Fleet Allocation Points, even if your opponent does.

(SFoS p 188).

That rule says you can take less FAP's to the battle than you are allowed. It doesn't allow you different splits for each FAP.

For example I have 2 Sharlin, 1 Tigara and 2 Nials, and a 5 point Battle game is rolled. I could take:
2 Sharlin (4 pts) and 1 Tigara (1 point not fully spent)
2 Sharlin (4 pts) and 2 Nials (1 point not fully spent)
1 Sharlin (2 pts), 1 Tigara (1 point not fully spent) and 2 Nials (1 point not fully spent), 1 point not spent at all

I could not take:
2 Sharlin (4 pts), 1 Tigara and 2 Nials (this cannot be bought for 1 Battle point).

But, its all pretty irrelevant with Armageddon...

Burger said:
Greg Smith said:
Apart from... the rules?
No reason not to houserule it, though.

I'm sorry, I missed the rule that states you HAVE to spend every point in your fleet when going into battle. If patrols are less than skirmishes then you would simply be fielding slightly less points than you could. I've seen this happen in countless table top games...Though none of them stated that you had to spend all your points, so I guess that shouldn't matter since ACTA apparently has some rule printd in invisible ink that says you must do so. lol

I gree with burger's intrepretation under SFOS...while you may be able to under point you can't make a new split.

I'm sure armageddon will change this though...

Chern

well as you can keep splitting with A then yes probably, altho you can only split one point out of the 2 froma previous level, so you can split a battle to 2 raids, but only one of those raids could be split further not both of them. basically to stop people gettign 4 ships instead of 3 :)
or you could split a battle for 3 skirmish (why?) and split only 1 of those 3 skirmish to 2 patrol giving you 2 skirmish and 2 patrol choices.

Itkovian said:
I just want to get folks opinions on this, it's probably a dumb question but I have known rules be dumb (though not so far ACTA)

In SFOS it states one can split a battle point into one raid and two skirmish ships. Simply put can one choose instead to buy say, one raid and two patrol ships instead. I can't see any reason why not as it is not like you are gaining anything...

This came up towards the end of our last campaign A 10pt Battle game where both sides were to put it mildly scratching around for ships to field, it was so bad the Centauri even fielded Havens!

TTFN

Interesting discussion above but the answer is you could spend your 1 battle point in the following ways (Under SFOS rules):

1 Battle Ship/Wings
2 Raid Ships/Wings
3 Skirmish Ships/Wings
4 Patrol Ships/Wings
1 Raid and 2 Skirmish Ships/Wings

If you do not have enough ships to fill any of these point spends then you have to pick the one that suits you best in the situation.

In the case you mention of having only 1 Raid ship and 2 Patrol ships available you could field either the Raid ship (and thus waste a potential Raid or 2 skirmish ships) OR (Exclusively OR) the 2 patrol ships, thus wasting 2 Patrol ships slots.

Unless you house rule otherwise

Under Armageddon rules you could (I think I'm getting this right)

1 Battle Ship/Wings
2 Raid Ships/Wings
1 Raid, 2 Skirmish
1 Raid 1 Skirmish, 2 Patrol
3 Skirmish Ships/Wings
2 Skirmish, 2 Patrol
6 Patrol Ships/Wings

In this case the 1 Raid, 1 Skirmish, 2 Patrol option would suit best as you would only be wasting a skirmish slot.

LBH

Back