brought myself a conan sized brick

toothill man

Mongoose
have had about half the stories but they were in all sorts of books and places so treated myself to the centenary editon of the complete chronicles of conan and it is a brick :twisted: but full of stories I would love to DM and see how others would play it.please carry on the good work and hopefully will have more adventures set to the books like tower of the elephant.

which story would you like in adventure form and why will give my wish list once have read them all 8)

Is this the book toothill?

0575077808.jpg

This was the first book I ever brought from Amazon.uk. Since it was the centennial anniversary of Howards birth it just seemed right. Clocks in at 925 pages and is beautiful - a must have for any Howard fan! Every Conan story in the order they were published - the first time all the stories have been collected in one book. It's the bible of Conan stories. I've seen a different cover before too -Conan with the a sword.

Either way, enjoy the book toothill! 8)

The Devil in Iron was one of my favourites but my buddy took my Coming of Conan book to read so I can't think of any others at the moment.

I actually ran the tower of the elephant adventure as a solo adventure based off the story, with a PC thief. He did really well despite almost being killed by the spider. He also liked how I added Taurus into the adventure as well.

I also ran Legions of the Dead (by Sprague de Camp) with our Cimmerian PC, and he had a blast. He loved killing the witchmen, but he freaked when fighting the zombies at the end.

I tend to find that adventures based off of the Conan stories run a lot better with one or two PC's. Once you get more than that it gets a little tougher to get them all involved somehow, especially if they are all vastly different characters, like in my group :)

I bought it by accident. I thought it was Hour of the Dragon (as that is what I searched for) and when I got it I went "Hey BONUS!"

Good book, especially for people like me who previously owned no REH

Too bad its not available through Amazon.ca. Oh well, I'll stick to buying all the REH reprints with all the bonus goodies in them, plus illustrations.

My friends and I are loving his stories so far and I'm starting on Bran Mak Morn as well, just to see if his other characters are as good as Conan.

So far, they are :)

OK, a couple of questions for a UK based buyer.

1) Where's the cheapest or best place to pick this book up?

2) Can someone gimme an ISBN for the book please?

3) How much is the list price for this book?

Cheers

LBH

lastbesthope said:
OK, a couple of questions for a UK based buyer.

1) Where's the cheapest or best place to pick this book up?

2) Can someone gimme an ISBN for the book please?

3) How much is the list price for this book?

Cheers

LBH

I'll try to help LBH - I brought mine from amazon.uk

1) current price at amazon.uk - £13.21

2) ISBN: 0575077808

3) I paid £12.53 plus £6.98 for postage. Came to $34 - for a 900+ book from the UK - I thought that was a steal. I think they were running a special when it first came out but you might find it at the same price elsewhere.

Good luck! You'll love the book. 8)

Ugh, wish I knew about this a month ago when I was in the British Isles, oh well, guess I have to get it shipped...

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0575077808/ref=dp_olp_2/202-2085597-9070204?condition=all

it is the book you guys have the picture of and got it straight off the shelf at waterstones for £18.99 in swindon(they only had the one I got) and so far it is brilliant read but will wait for my choices till the end :twisted:

Cheers Strom and tooty, I might hit Waterstones this weekend. I'm just gald the B5 scripts have been delayed or I'd be pushjing my new budget a little too far :lol:

LBH

toothill man said:
which story would you like in adventure form and why will give my wish list once have read them all 8)

Well I love Red Nails, it's just crying out to be a scenario, lost city, warring factions, the thing in the dark celler..... The second is Jewels of Gwhaller with Conan, the priests, the Servents of Bit yankin and a group of, is it shemitsh, villians, a 'living goddes' and some treasure another great scenario.

these are just my top choices of course

quigs said:
Too bad its not available through Amazon.ca. Oh well, I'll stick to buying all the REH reprints with all the bonus goodies in them, plus illustrations.

My friends and I are loving his stories so far and I'm starting on Bran Mak Morn as well, just to see if his other characters are as good as Conan.

The reprints through DelRey are the ones that have been gone over and matched up with the typescripts from Howard. I think those were first published recently in hardcover by Wildside Press. They are the closest to what he wrote. The other book mentioned if I remember correctly from the REHupa is from the reprints from I think Ace or another publisher so there are some differences in the actual writings. The price is right though for all of those Conan stories in one place.

imajica studio said:
quigs said:

The reprints through DelRey are the ones that have been gone over and matched up with the typescripts from Howard. I think those were first published recently in hardcover by Wildside Press. They are the closest to what he wrote. The other book mentioned if I remember correctly from the REHupa is from the reprints from I think Ace or another publisher so there are some differences in the actual writings. The price is right though for all of those Conan stories in one place.

Yes, I believe the stories in The Complete Chronicles of Conan include the Conan stories exactly as they appeared in Weird Tales including the editorial title changes i.e. The Slithering Shadow instead of the REH title Xuthal at Dusk.

Strom said:
imajica studio said:
quigs said:

Yes, I believe the stories in The Complete Chronicles of Conan include the Conan stories exactly as they appeared in Weird Tales including the editorial title changes i.e. The Slithering Shadow instead of the REH title Xuthal at Dusk.
I was unaware of that. I had heard from the members of the REHupa that it was the reprint variety. I will find out for us.....

Well I found this interview and I have attached part of it here...
A lot of commotion has been made by Conan and Howard fans alike about the way the Conan stories have been altered and expurgated in the past. Is the text of the stories pure, meaning exactly as it originally appeared in the 1930's pulp magazine, Weird Tales -- errors, inconsistencies and all?

SJ: Yes, pretty much so. This was something which Orion and I agreed on from the day we first discussed the project: these books would contain Howard's Conan, and only Howard's Conan. As good as some of the pastiches have been over the years, none of them could match up to the original. We wanted to introduce a new generation of fantasy fans brought up on other writers' interpretations of the character to experience Howard's original and, in my opinion, superior version of Conan.

However, as I said before, these books are aimed at the mass-market readership. They don't care whether Farnsworth Wright changed a comma to a semi-colon (and, to be honest, neither do I). Therefore, so far as the Howard "purists" may be concerned, these volumes have been "edited" to some degree, but we have retained the original American spellings where appropriate. We also corrected a few errors and inconsistencies, although I'm sure that given the quality of some of the material we were working from, the occasional new typo has slipped through. This is unfortunately the nature of mass-market publishing.

So apparently, yes these are from Weird Tales however they are not verbatim. They have been edited so I guess unless you are a Howard purist (which I am only for research.. the same goes for Lovecraft) the text is the same.....

My point was that they are verbatim from the Weird Tales stories - that includes Mr. Wright's editorial decisions - including title changes. So, as noted, the stories are as they were presented to the audience in the 1930's in the Weird Tales magazine.

The Wandering Star editions remove the Farnsworth editorial changes and present the stories as Bob originally presented them to Mr. Wright - including his original titles. I would say the changes are minimal - the talent and uniqueness of Howard is available in both projects. Get them both, I say. 8)

imajica studio said:
The reprints through DelRey are the ones that have been gone over and matched up with the typescripts from Howard. I think those were first published recently in hardcover by Wildside Press.
No, Wandering Star. The Wandering Star/Del Rey volumes are the ones to get.

Back