Bronze weapons

jux

Mongoose
As I start to play the Spider God's Bride, in this setting, the majority of cultures use bronze weapons. How would they differ compared to the regulard weapons in the core Legen book? How to simulate the affects of bronze vs bronze and bronze vs iron weapons?

I would imagine the HP and AP of the weapons are different because bronze weapons are weaker, right? But how? 2x weaker? What about sharpness, damage, other aspects of bronze weapons?

To be honest, I wouldn't bother.

If your setting only uses bronze weapons or only uses iron weapons then just use the stats in the book.

If your campaign has both bronze and iron weapons, then give iron more AP/HP, but not overly so.

When I googled about this topic, it is even more unclear.

In this setting bronze should logically be inferior and cheaper, but historically it was not so. They moved to iron weapons because bronze was expensive and also the first iron weapons were not necessarily better in quality.

But it is more fun to have weapons in different quality out there. How would I price bronze weapons vs iron weapons?

superc0ntra said:
Old RQ gives Iron weapons 1.5 times the HP of Bronze
That's pretty much the way it's usually been done. As to cost, start at 10x in iron working areas which have mining to hand, then work your way up from there... quickly.

Arms of Legend assumes that weapons are either bronze or common iron as it gives steel as alternative weapon or armour material. In Arms of Legend bronze and common iron weapons and armour have same values, while steel gets bonuses.

Personally I'm running campaign in a setting where steel weapons are the standard. In my game I use normal stats also for steel weapons and use steel alternative material to represent steel which has superior quality and/or workmanship. For example there's a huge difference between Damascus steel sword and steel sword made by some random North European village blacksmith.

If you want to make distinction between bronze and iron weapons, maybe you could give steel bonuses to iron weapons and armour.

It's probably going to be one of those setting determined things.

I would say the best solution is to make a decision that suits the particular campaign and run with it... the rules are a tool-box after all. There may not be a hard-and-fast written answer that covers all aspects/opinions, so don't worry unduly, go for "maximum game-fun".

Back