Brawl -Atlantean Edition??

Kraav

Mongoose
Hi peeps,

What is the deal with the Brawl Feat from Atlantean Edition?

Increase from 1d4 to 1d6 damage and can damgae can be regular/subdual (player's choice), is that all the feat does?

Was the Brawl Feat supposed to add AP:1 and they missed it?

If not then Imp Unarmed Strike >> Brawl for the simple fact of no AoO, no -4 if unarmed parry attempted, considered armed so you can make AoOs.

I fail to see how improving from 1d4 to 1d6 damge is worth it if the AP for your unarmed strikes remains at 0. (All attacks with base AP:0 can NEVER be made to penetrate DR regardless of other modifers, ie STR bonuses)

What is the verdict around here?

Any imput or errata appreciated

I believe that there was some inconsistency regarding unarmed damage in the original edition.

In AE, however, an unarmed strike does 1d3 damage, not 1d4. So, Brawl is a significant improvement.

In general, Brawl is as good or better than Improved Unarmed for a character that does not expect to get into fights with armed opponents. Admitedly, PCs generally aren't going to fall into this category.

However, while Improved Unarmed may be the better bet for the typical PC, having both feats is better yet. If you want a character with excellent unarmed capabilities, both is definitely a worthwhile option.

Don't forget that unarmed stirkes are finessable, most fist fighters when facing an opponent in armor are going to want to either finesse or else go for grapple attacks.

Brawl is important, a d3 for damage just isn't going to cut it in combat but the dedicated matrial artist is going to want both feats. Which is prety fair I think.

Hope that helps.

I created a combat maneuver to bolster the Brawl feat, "Bum's Rush". You could also give characters with Brawl a form of Versatility usable only with bar room items (bottles, chairs, etc).

Sorry to bring up an old topic (I always search first), but I wanted to ask a question about unarmed combat in the d20 system. I'm new to d20 and notice that unlike other systems, there doesn't seem to be a chance for knocking an opponent out in a fist fight early. It seems to be straight damage only (lethal or non-lethal). I just wanted to make sure...

So if you wanted to create great brawlers, you add the feats listed in this thread in an effort to only create basically more damage. Even the Martial Disciple listed in S&P seems to only add feats/abilities to add damage or more attacks, or AP (unless I am missing something).

One of my players is running an 8th level thief who has taken Improved Unarmed Stike, Combat Expertise, and Improved Feint, and his second favored sneak attack style is with his unarmed attack. That combined with Two-Weapon Fighting has given him an attack he calls his "fists of fury," an unarmed double sneak attack on a flat-footed opponent. He does 1d3+1+5d8 (+1 die due to light-footed feat) per attack. Scary. :twisted:

Clansman said:
One of my players is running an 8th level thief who has taken Improved Unarmed Stike, Combat Expertise, and Improved Feint, and his second favored sneak attack style is with his unarmed attack. That combined with Two-Weapon Fighting has given him an attack he calls his "fists of fury," an unarmed double sneak attack on a flat-footed opponent. He does 1d3+1+5d8 (+1 die due to light-footed feat) per attack. Scary. :twisted:

I've always found two weapon fighting to be limited when it comes to sneak attacks. It's so rare to get both attacks in the same round for a sneak attack.

Back