Border Ranger class

Alright, I need your help. I have a player wanting to play as a Sommlending Border Ranger. I have deided to use a modified Warrior class to do this. Basically, take the Warrior. At 2nd level, he gains Tracking teir I, then gains an extra tier every 2nd level. Beginning at level 12, he gains Pathsmanship tier I which also increses a tier every two levels.

Also, at 1st level, he gains a Favoured Terrain/Enemy. If a terrain is picked, he gains a +2 on all Follow the Path, Survival and Knowledge (nature) checks in that area. If he gains a favoured enemy, he gains all the benefits of a standard D&D Ranger. At 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level he gains an extra favoured enemy/terrain, or can increase a current favoured emeny/terrain by +2.

What do you think? Is this balanced enough to be a player class?

I like that so far, but I think it needs a few more abilities to balance up with the other classes, as they all get something new each level. Maybe some abilities based on stealth, information gathering, animal affinity, and the old favourite, two weapons fighting.

Hmm, maybe I got the wrong image of them, but better make them not too similar to AD&D rangers. The Border Rangers of Sommerlund seem to be more soldiers than Aragorn- or Drizzt-types. They are, of course, expert scouts with a good knowledge of woodcraft and outdoor survival, but not more, I think ...

Wait, remembered something useful: They were described as skilled horsemen, too! Maybe you could base a few abilities on that?

(Just in case you or your player were indeed aiming at a character type very close to an AD&D ranger, have you considered to go for an Eruan Pathfinder instead? Admittedly, they are soldiers as well, but probably somewhat closer to our beloved old Ranger class ... :))

Paido, deducting two Lunes from his Belt Pouch :wink:

I can see the Eruan Pathfinders being very similar to Dunedain Rangers (Tolkien); the Border Rangers struck me more like Warriors with the Tracking feat and woodland/mountain survival skills.

Perhaps play them as a Warrior (or alternatively as a 3e Fighter) who takes Tracking as one of their first three Feats (if Fighter) and has a class skill in Survival?

He wants to go for a soldier type rather than a Knight, and he wants to be from Sommerlund. I too didn't want to make them to similar to D&D rangers (I wanted to leave that for the Pathfinder :wink: ).

I thought about allowing him to take a Warrior and give him the chanbe to choose certain feats, but wanted to stick as close as possible to the rules presented in the LWRPG.

what about trying to mix the knight of sommerlund with a kai lord

give the border ranger the base attack und riding ability of the knight and the kai power tracking from the kai lord

for the saves: good fort saves, weak ref and will saves

and voila :)

you can even try to give the border ranger a bonus for ranged weapons like the kai power weaponskill but only with the bow e.g

a special survival skill bonus would be fine too imho

Just a quick note:

I am currently working up the Border Rangers as a class to release as a Signs and Portents article. It should please you, EK, to know that the basic structure is quite similar to what you've outlined. :)

-A

Mongoose August said:
Just a quick note:

I am currently working up the Border Rangers as a class to release as a Signs and Portents article. It should please you, EK, to know that the basic structure is quite similar to what you've outlined. :)

-A

Great, now I'm gonna need to know what S&P issues I'm gonna have to order, 'cause I can't find those mags anywhere here....

Am I missing any already, or is this one going to be the first with LW material?

Yes, it should be the first LW article, except some preview on the combat system way back in issue 2 or 3, IIRC.

Thanks for that prompt response, redlaco. Now I just have to find out if I can find them around here, or if I indeed have to special order them....

Mongoose August said:
Just a quick note:

-A

Excellent stuff! Do we know which issue it is to appear in?

In my experience it takes 3-4 months for an article to appear in S&P. Of course with August being a Mongoose writer, it may be considerably shorter than that.

I have just submitted a LW class to S&P - the Toranese Archer. Whether or not it meets Mongoose's standards and requirements, I'll have to wait and see. But I thought you guys might like to know.

Hope to see your take on the Toranese Archer in S&P, Greg.
Would certainly make a great article...
Ian, Old Bear, are you listening ? :p

And Border Rangers by August... Wow, that sure makes me glad I ordered a 24 months subscription!

Back