Book and Supplement listings.

TrippyHippy

Emperor Mongoose
It’s long been a characteristic of Traveller to produce a numbered set of Books (for rules) and Supplements (mainly for setting or campaign reference), was back to the original release of Classic Traveller back in 1987. Mongoose Traveller is no different and I suppose it could be seen as a ploy of sorts to get collectors (like me!) to eventually try to get hold of them. I have a budget, however, and tend to buy game books only when I intend to use them, so in my case, I still have a few gaps. If anyone is in the know, what is the list of Books and Supplements as it stands (and indeed into the future)?

Book 1 - Traveller Core Rules
Book 2 - Central Supply Catalogue
Book 3 - High Guard
Book 4 - Vehicles
Book 5 - Traveller Companion
(Book 6 - The Robot Handbook?)

Supplement 1 - Behind The Claw
Supplement 2 - The Great Rift (Box Set)?
Supplement 3 - Sword Worlds
Supplement 4 - Aliens of the Imperium 1
Supplement 5 - Aliens of the Imperium 2
Supplement 6 - The Glorious Empire?
Supplement 7 - Solomani Front
(Supplement 8 - The Third Imperium?)

Where do the box sets fit in, if at all, like the Element Cruisers or Mercenary? What else can/should be added?

Well, that is useful.

Still not sure if The Great Rift box set is technically Supplement 2 (or is it Prates of Drinax’s Trojan Reach?). Or, following on whether the Element Class Cruisers and Mercenary sets are technically ‘Books’ either!

TrippyHippy said:
Still not sure if The Great Rift box set is technically Supplement 2 (or is it Prates of Drinax’s Trojan Reach?). Or, following on whether the Element Class Cruisers and Mercenary sets are technically ‘Books’ either!

I didn't follow exact definition of "book" or release order, the intention was to track product ownership. But I thought you can use it to arrange whatever list you desire with some drag and drop, as the listing is fairly up to date.

Ah, I didn’t think it would be a feature of the current Traveller edition either, but they still include little insignia and numbers to indicate which Book it is (there are currently 5) and which Supplement it is (Solomani Rim is number 7). However, Supplement 2 is missing - unless The Great Rift Box set is meant to be that. Then again, maybe it is The Trojan Reach book, which is part of the Drinax Campaign set.

TrippyHippy said:
Ah, I didn’t think it would be a feature of the current Traveller edition either, but they still include little insignia and numbers to indicate which Book it is (there are currently 5) and which Supplement it is (Solomani Rim is number 7). However, Supplement 2 is missing - unless The Great Rift Box set is meant to be that. Then again, maybe it is The Trojan Reach book, which is part of the Drinax Campaign set.

All of the black spined hardcovers that I have - which I think is all of them so far - have a number inside a shape at the bottom of spine. (02 inside a hexagon is Central Supply Catalogue; 02 inside a triangle is Sword Worlds; 02 inside a square is The Near Side of Yonder.). None of them identify themselves, either on cover or indicia page, as Supplement, and I would not use that word in a series statement when cataloging them.

Well, what would you call them then?

They are, literally, supplements of the core game and previous editions of the game did differentiate between Books and Supplements.

The core rules are listed, iconically and numerically, as distinct from these other setting based supplements. Previous editions called rule books such as High Guard as ‘Books’ in their equivalent titles. Other books were numerically listed as Supplements in their titles. In the current Mongoose catalogue they group all these current titles into Core Rules and Sourcebooks. I don’t think anybody can pronounce an icon directly, so what would you call them instead?

If Sword Words is the second of the series of setting supplements, then what was the third?

The Near Side of Yonder is specifically the second supplemental adventure in the Deepnight Revelation Campaign and is one of a series of six (I have them all after backing the Kickstarter).

Triangle-03 is Skandersvik.

I wouldn't call them anything because I don't need to; if I was making MARC records for them I might put in a notes field saying "03 inscribed in triangle at base of spine" and so forth, but the cataloger at (I think) Oceanside Free Library who entered a record for the Core Rulebook did not (they probably were not cataloging more than one Traveller book at the time so wouldn't have realized it was anything meaningful). I *could* make a series statement but I would have no basis for calling it 'Book' or 'Supplement' or whatever; I could only say something like "hexagon series", "triangle series" etc - which I don't think would carry useful information.

CordwainerFish said:
Triangle-03 is Skandersvik.

I wouldn't call them anything because I don't need to; if I was making MARC records for them I might put in a notes field saying "03 inscribed in triangle at base of spine" and so forth, but the cataloger at (I think) Oceanside Free Library who entered a record for the Core Rulebook did not (they probably were not cataloging more than one Traveller book at the time so wouldn't have realized it was anything meaningful). I *could* make a series statement but I would have no basis for calling it 'Book' or 'Supplement' or whatever; I could only say something like "hexagon series", "triangle series" etc - which I don't think would carry useful information.

Mongoose lists them 'Core Rulebooks' and 'Sourcebooks' categories in their catalogue so there is a basis for it. I guess that is what I’ll call them.

I’m just trying to identify what is in each respective series.

CordwainerFish said:
All of the black spined hardcovers that I have - which I think is all of them so far - have a number inside a shape at the bottom of spine. (02 inside a hexagon is Central Supply Catalogue; 02 inside a triangle is Sword Worlds; 02 inside a square is The Near Side of Yonder.). None of them identify themselves, either on cover or indicia page, as Supplement, and I would not use that word in a series statement when cataloging them.

It breaks down like this...

Hexagon: Core Books
Triangle: Charted Space
Square: Deepnight Revelation

Entirely possible more will appear in the future...

Core
01. core rulebook
02. central supply catalogue
03. high guard
04. vehicle handbook
05. Traveller companion

Charted Space
01. Behind the claw
02. Sword worlds
03. Skandersvik
04. Aliens of Charted Space vol. 1
05. Aliens of Charted Space vol. 2