Book 10: Cosmopolite - Now on Drivethru

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
The latest 'career' book, covering Citizens and Scholars, is now available from DrivethruRPG.com - and it is a good 'un! You can grab your copy from;

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/133969/Book-10-Cosmopolite?affiliate_id=7242

Civilisations stand and fall, not by might of arms, but by its cosmopolites – the ordinary Citizens and Scholars who make up most of the population.

Book 10: Cosmopolite provides new options and possibilities for characters who have followed the Citizen or Scholar careers. Citizens and Scholars together are keepers of the flame of civilisation.

With this book, your Citizen character will be able to build Networks, a web of Allies, Contacts and Patrons that can be called upon at any time, while Scholar characters can approach their own societies and fellowships for funding and resources accessible only to scientists.

Your characters can now attend University or Medical School, and try a brand new career choice, the Teacher. You will learn how to continue your research, even while you travel the galaxy, publishing papers that push the boundaries of known science.

The referee is provided with all the support material he will need for Citizens and Scholars, from organisations that can act as adventure hooks or Patrons, to scientific questions that have stumped Scholars across Known Space and are now available for players to tackle!

Far from being simple white or blue collar workers, or unassuming librarian types, Book 10: Cosmopolite contains everything you need to make Citizens and Scholars among the most exciting careers to play in Traveller.

First customer! Great job, Alex! The new Life Events table alone was worth it.

Edit: How could you forget Walter Bishop in the list of TV geniuses?!?!?!

JRoss said:
First customer! Great job, Alex! The new Life Events table alone was worth it.

Edit: How could you forget Walter Bishop in the list of TV geniuses?!?!?!

Oh that's not the only missing one...

They did, and the info was an article on the Mongoose site, too. But how can you not have university and med school in a book about scientists?

JRoss said:
They did, and the info was an article on the Mongoose site, too. But how can you not have university and med school in a book about scientists?

I mean, I get that, but is it the same rules? Still going to buy it eventually, but I need to know that so I can plan when.

ShawnDriscoll said:
The font is different from the other Mongoose Traveller books. Is that right?

It's using the new design introduced with Mercenary 2nd Ed.

I wish they would update all of the PDFs released so far to use the new template, but I suppose that's not economically feasible. It'd be nice if they updated the covers though - some of the older ones used low-resolution graphics.

Shawn, the Uni stuff is largely the same as Mercenary, but it's only Uni and Med School.

Techno-Guru, there are a few new careers for Citizens, there are Artisans (who make stuff), Functionaries (like lesser Nobles) and Pillars of the Community (also like Nobles). I want to play a Pillar, specifically an Agitator, for my next character.

There's a new Life Events Table (D66) that takes up 4 whole pages. It's awesome.

There are Scientist careers, including one that lets you be the next Dexter or Wesley Crusher.

Citizens get Networks, representing the varied contacts that Joe Schmoe can pick up during his life.

Rules for Researching.

Advantages and Disorders for geniuses that let you do some awesome and crazy things with your nerds.

There are hooks that let you use mundane skills like farming as the basis of adventures.

There is a big social section near the end that will be of use to Nobles, Entertainers, Rogues, Merchants and Agents, too.

It finishes with the usual assortment of toys, vehicles and ships.

As I was writing this reply I found something in the Special Thanks. Alex Greene, thank you, too. I say with complete sincerity that I've never happier that you got this project.

travchao999 said:
Didn't Mercenary already add University and Medical School?

Or is this different

No, they are the same - we included the rules in this book too because a) not everyone wil lhave Mercenary 2, b) they do not take up much space and c) we want to start standardising rules like this across all supplementary books and for the sake of two or three pages, this seemed like a good way of doing it. Eventually, this information will end up in a core rulebook down the line.

ShawnDriscoll said:
The font is different from the other Mongoose Traveller books. Is that right?

Same as Mercenary 2 - this is likely the format of all black core books for the foreseeable future.

Prime_Evil said:
I wish they would update all of the PDFs released so far to use the new template, but I suppose that's not economically feasible.

That would take us the rest of the year to do, with no new books coming out :)

travchao999 said:
What they really need is like a glossary of what rules are contained in what books, its so hard to keep track of.

An excellent idea. We'll look into that.

have you considered producing a Deluxe Rulebook collecting the best material from all of the sourcebooks released over the past few years in one volume? Perhaps it could be funded as a kickstarter...so that it can be *really* special.

Prime_Evil said:
have you considered producing a Deluxe Rulebook collecting the best material from all of the sourcebooks released over the past few years in one volume? Perhaps it could be funded as a kickstarter...so that it can be *really* special.

Actually, yes - but we have a few too many things on at the moment to consider it properly. Maybe something for next year.

I find this quite an interesting idea for a book, more civilian/citizen/scholar careers and ideas ticks a lot of boxes.

Sadly my eyesight is now so poort I find the LBBs unreadable.

I bought it THEN realized that Alex wrote it.

I am STOKED!

Just a quick glance and reading JRoss's summary upstream and I think I will REALLY like this book.

Back