Book 0 - just found some copies

paddyb812

Mongoose
Hi,

I know several people were asking where they could find copies of Book 0: Introduction to Traveller. I have just been into Westgate Games in Canterbury and got a copy and they have at least one left, possibly more as they had a box of free rpg day stuff. Their phone number is 01227 457257.

Good luck.

Paddy

Guess it's no Book 0 for me - just found out that it's available as a PDF but ...

only for a payment of 5 pounds. So sorry, but I'm not going to get it, if it has originally been available free.

rust said:
Oops, 5 Pounds for 32 pages is indeed somewhat expensive, even for
printed stuff ... :shock:

I think you will find that £5 for a 32pp book is not only reasonable, it is at the low end in the current market. . .

msprange said:
I think you will find that £5 for a 32pp book is not only reasonable, it is at the low end in the current market. . .

Well, it seems we have a slightly different market on this side of the
Channel. :)

I suppose it would depend on whether you paid for it in £ sterling, Euros or US$ as to whether you get a bargain as a European customer....

Ha. Except Mongoose don't accept Euros.

Gruffty the Hiver said:
I suppose it would depend on whether you paid for it in £ sterling, Euros or US$ as to whether you get a bargain as a European customer....

Yep, and to be fair, we only recently had a discussion on my "home fo-
rum" where most users agreed that RPGs produced in Germany usual-
ly had a lower price, but RPGs produced in Britain usually had a better
quality. :D

msprange said:
rust said:
Oops, 5 Pounds for 32 pages is indeed somewhat expensive, even for
printed stuff ... :shock:

And if it was offered free at one point, I don't want to have to pay for it at all.

Jame Rowe said:
And if it was offered free at one point, I don't want to have to pay for it at all.

Well, I would like to avoid paying for anything - unfortunately, things cost money!

Whatever. It's completely useless if you have the rulebook, anyway.

Most RPGs have a free download of beginner rules to lure new players to the game. If Mongoose think that they can sell the stuff, good luck. If there are enough collectors who will buy anything, why not...

It's nice if you get it for free, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

msprange said:
Jame Rowe said:

Well, I would like to avoid paying for anything - unfortunately, things cost money!

Well, okay, but since it was offered for free at one point, I still can't part with $10 US for it.

I must admit it seems a bit strange to expect a payment for a book that was formely offered for free. Particularly as it seems to fill the same role as QLI's "T20 Lite" (which was also 64 pages, so it was double the size of Mongoose's Book 0. And it was a free PDF download.).

Why not offer a PDF download of Book 0 for free but have an option to buy the printed version (from stores) for five quid? If people can download it (or prefer PDF) then they get it free, if they can't (or prefer hardcopy) then they have the option to buy the book.

That and it seems daft for someone to pay 5 quid for the intro, and then another 20 quid for the main book that has all that stuff in it anyway.

Greetings

There is some merit in having an intro booklet - that way people don't waste UKP20 on a book if they don't like it.

I'd agree, however, that a free pdf taster might be better but maybe a mini adventure with pre-gen PCs and rules only for skills and weapons that they and their opponents have.

I've got Book 0 from the free RPG day and I suspct that I would be in two minds about buying it to see if I liked Traveller.

Regards

DirkD said:
Whatever. It's completely useless if you have the rulebook, anyway.

Most RPGs have a free download of beginner rules to lure new players to the game. If Mongoose think that they can sell the stuff, good luck. If there are enough collectors who will buy anything, why not...

It's nice if you get it for free, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

And THERE it is. I made several orders from Noble Knight and picked up freebie Traveller Intros every time - but just to mail to RPG friends so as to try and lure them in to Traveller. You don't need it at all if you have the rulebook.
Hey - isn't 5 Pounds like $20 - $25? That's SO wrong!!!

Imperator58 said:
Hey - isn't 5 Pounds like $20 - $25? That's SO wrong!!!

It is "so wrong", because 5 UKP is about 10 USD, not $20-25 :) (I don't think the dollar is THAT weak yet). Double the price in UKP and you'll get the price in US (or Canadian) dollars.

Back