Bonus Skills

Spook

Mongoose
I find bonus skills mentioned on page 80 but cannot find them mentioned anywhere else.

Am I just missing them?

IIRC there are such things as 'Bonus skill points' (the ones you get whith Intelligence) or 'Background skills' (the free you get at character creation depending on your culture), but no 'Bonus skills'. Sounds like a typo.

I thought bonus skills was the ones you got "for free" when you made your character... But now that you mention it they are called Background Skills... Bah! I'm sure it doens't matter really.

/wolf

What ? No smart comments about the rulebook's typos ?! WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO GHOSTWOLF ?!

Hyena said:
IIRC there are such things as 'Bonus skill points' (the ones you get whith Intelligence) or 'Background skills' (the free you get at character creation depending on your culture), but no 'Bonus skills'. Sounds like a typo.

Really, a typo in Conan the RPG? Nah, it can't be! :lol:

I nearly popped a vein in my brain trying to make sense of the entire combat chapter, but I finally have a reference doc (4 pages) written up which should help. :p

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Spook said:
I find bonus skills mentioned on page 80 but cannot find them mentioned anywhere else.

Am I just missing them?

In the example on p80, first sentence, it says "and his 16 intelligence grants him (3 x 4) = 12 bonus skill points."

At first level, his class grants him 4 x 4 = 16 skill points. His Int (bonus +3) grants him 3 x 4 = 12 skill points.

It's a bit confusing to split them up, when the formula in the class description is (4 + Int bonus) x 4, but the ruling that skill points derived from the Int bonus can be spent freely on any skills makes that a more convenient way to do things.

Future levels will grant him 7 skill points, 3 of which can be spent on any skill.

Note that the comment in the table at the top of p85 is a holdover from a previous system of skill advancement, and does not apply. It was designed for solo or two-player campaigns, and reflects a need for more widely-skilled characters.

Back