Blake's 7 is coming back

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm getting shocked reactions from the few people I've shared the link with already.

Brings back very fond memories of my Dad and I sitting down on a Monday night to watch Blake's 7 at 7:15 and switching over to BBC2 at 8:10 for Life on Earth

This could be either very good or very very bad.

We must wait and see.

I would love to see it turn out as well as BSG did as a remake but it may turn out to be another truely horrible SyFi channel fluff piece.

I'm a huge Blake's 7 fan. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

At least we know the special effects will be better, but I'm not sure they can capture the spirit of the original. We'll see.

I'd rather have something new. So much good stuff in print that would make excellent movies and TV.

Its why I liked Outcasts so much, it was a brave and new attempt to create SF TV. Not a retread.

I'll happily watch B7 though!

Yes but much like outcasts it will start to get interesting, have a season one ending that just begs for a fantastic season two......... And will get cancelled :cry:

Personally, the BSG remake showed high promise in the pilot (um.... 'miniseries') but as a regular show drifted off in directions bordering on I don't know, a lack of focus in the story. It was more a stumbling of zombies through beliefs metaphysical than just a solid sci-fi story.

The final episode was great, once the Galactica found "Earth", and I did find the discovery we are not the "Earth" they were looking for a great unexpected surprise.

As for B7 - My wife and I watched the entire series when it was on PBS, one of the few Sci-Fi series she ever watched with me (that and 'Red Dwarf') so a remake/reboot had best be to the same high standards.

Captain Jonah said:
Yes but much like outcasts it will start to get interesting, have a season one ending that just begs for a fantastic season two......... And will get cancelled :cry:
Yep, it was a real shame that Outcast turned out to be a dud, some good ideas, but some poor plotting and characterisation, and some pretty good actors flailing around trying to make the script work, all rather undermined the whole thing. Very odd schduling as well, on successive evenings, which probably lead to viewers getting bored. So much of it seemed to be setting the scene for the second series (extended trailer might be more accurate), rather than each episode engaging the auidence in its own right.

Egil

Mithras said:
I'd rather have something new. So much good stuff in print that would make excellent movies and TV.

Completely agree. Most of the remakes are pretty poor, better to try new things.

Though in, IMHO, the big exception is the BSG remake, much better than the original, though by the third series BSG's themes, plots and philosophy was so wide-ranging I am not sure if it is even fair to classify it as sci-fi.

Egil

So if they do this new series is there any chance they could ask to use the Daleks as that enemy that the Liberator had to face pretty much alone as a season climax?

The one where it was originally declined even though it was supposed to be them?

Pretty please?!

I wonder if Orac will be made from the same ultra high tech components? :lol:

orac2large.jpg

If they take as much time and effort to do it properely as the recent Dredd film, Nikita or the BSG series this could be tremendeous - however not sure SyFy can do it right.

leave Orac alone - he looks cool ;)

Here's a question for you chaps...

At ClaudiaCon, I was sitting next to the chap who owns the rights to Blake's 7. And we kinda got chatting about a Traveller version.

What would you give to see such a thing?

msprange said:
Here's a question for you chaps...

At ClaudiaCon, I was sitting next to the chap who owns the rights to Blake's 7. And we kinda got chatting about a Traveller version.

What would you give to see such a thing?

Over the years I have run a number of 'Blake 7' sessions. The urge to travel around inside the Liberator is just too great to resist. 8)

I do wonder how it would work as a complete game though. After all, the Liberator was unique, and the background setting is pretty much just 'evil empire vs. the rebels'.

Having said that, I'd stump up £20 for a complete book with all the background info in one place and all the Traveller stats for the people and equipment. :D

Vyrolakos said:
Over the years I have run a number of 'Blake 7' sessions. The urge to travel around inside the Liberator is just too great to resist. 8)

I do wonder how it would work as a complete game though. After all, the Liberator was unique, and the background setting is pretty much just 'evil empire vs. the rebels'.

Having said that, I'd stump up £20 for a complete book with all the background info in one place and all the Traveller stats for the people and equipment. :D
This is one of the few sci-fi series my wife would watch with me when we first got married twenty..{coughs} something years ago. Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, Dr. Who she's a huge fan of them all.

I have to agree, I'd buy this book no matter what system it was based in (Legend maybe?) at least for tons of good source material on the setting.

Back