Black Omega starfuries?

The_Daminator

Mongoose
What are these black colored starfuries I've been hearing about? Are there like enhanced rules for 'em or is it just a cool paint job with the ultramarine symbol painted on the top??

Erm... No.

They're the Psi Corps' elite telepath fighter squadron, piloting spec-ops Aurora Starfuries. There are no special rules for them currently

Oh, and that's not the Ultramarines symbol. It's the Greek letter omega. The Ultramarines symbol is the letter omega inverted, because GW designers are lazy and don't mind ripping off ideas.

David got it right.

And please for all 40k players. Dont make a fool of yourselves and the other people of 40k. It is Omega. Nothing else it doesnt have anything to do with 'ultra' or 'u' not even remotely.

And Yes GW is stealing ideas left and right. But that isnt a bad choice. It is seriously hard to do something new.

Robots. Done
Aliens. Done
Biorobots. Done
Space Pirates. Done
Space Robot Pirates. Done
Space Robot Zombie Pirates. Someone probably already had the idea.........

For GW products read:

Warhammer = Lord of the Rings, before Lord of the Rings movies
Warhammer 40k = Starship Troopers

Pretty much everything they do is based on older sci fi and fantasy literature.

well any fantasy setting can be based off LOTR originally.

as for 40k being based off SST, i know the book was out a while before hand but apart from nids being like bugs nothing else is remotely similar.
terminators and genestealers for example came out really in space hulk which was ripped off aliens.

LOTR is a ripoff from fairytales i tell you............

No seriously how old is the concept of dwarves and elves? It is hard to do anything new.

Basically EVERYTHING that is coming out now is a ripoff from somewhere else.

SST = Knights with jump ability.......

want me to go on?

WFB: LOTR mixed with Call of Cthulu
WH40K: WFB.....IN SPACE!

Imperium = Empire
Orks = Orcs
Eldar = Elves
Squats = Dwarves
Necrons = Undead
Tyranids = Aliens from Alien (Genestealers at least)

And yes, they do steal shamelessly from history and other SciFi. Many game engines do. Battletech for example, is medieval Europe/Japan. Even the return of the "Clans" are just an almost verbatim retelling of the Mongol invasion of Europe. (I still play it anyway.)

There's a difference between being inspired by something and shamelessly plundering other people's work. GW makes zero effort to hide the origins of their images and ideas. At least BattleTech has a bit of originality, just because their socieities are fuedal doesn't mean they've just transplanted the middle ages into space.

Unlike GW, which did basically that...

Battetech is from Robocop and Gundam. If memory serves right. there were the license problems. LAMs.........

And Necrons are actually more from Terminator.

But that aside, when you want to play original, you basically restricted to Medieval and Classic stuff like Roman legions or Knights. Renaissance is maybe ok too.........but past WW1 its getting very ripoffy.

Fantasy is a straight out no. SF is kinda soandso. But you can play games with grey men from Roswell and green ones from Mars, past that? I dunno.

I mean Aliens could be done as a clever ripoff as Werewolves/Vampire, just a nastier life cycle.......and more slime.

All that matters is the final result. I prefer a well thought out ripoff than a nonworking original.

Well GW did a perfect ripoff with their God/emperor. But than Star Wars had that too. Repress the aliens and praise the humans and quash any rebellion. OH yeah and hunt down those psionics/forceusers that dont follow our side. Sounds too familiar in both cases. Now you could do the 40k as a Star Wars ripoff.

Stuff has been ripped off for so long, its not even worth mentioning anymore. Any new PC game is basically has the line of: Well you cant invent anything new with the storyline anymore, but they did a very good implementation (or not).

Like I said, inspired by. If a futuristic society has some historically-inspired elements, that's ok. Or if your hideous alien horror looks a bit like something Giger would have cooked up, that's ok too.

If, on the other hand, it looks like you traced around his artworks and called it your own, that's not ok. The line has been crossed.

Well.

Yer theres Copyright infringement. Thats illegal.

But apart from that? Do you want to care? I mean SST is just Knights in space. Not one inch more. They have the whole extralong training amongst their peers. They are the elite afterwards. They wear kickass armor. They can cover alot more ground than a standard peasent/civilian. They have alot niftier weapons than anyone else.

Theyre the good democratic (of a bit miliotaristic) guys fighint off the evil commies.

Is it a ripoff?

That actually makes em democratic knights against commie aliens. sounds almost as good as robot zombie space pirates.

Just because you have an elite, standing military, how do you equate that with knights? Knights were not a standing military force and certianly had no interest in protecting anyone beyond themselves.

Lots of societies had elite professional soldiers before the knights of the middle ages, and after they'd disappeared. Why are you picking on them? Why not the samurai of Japan or the legions of Rome?

Knights were a very standing military force. That was pretty much the job descritption.

Not as a full army.

But thats not the point. Im not picking on Knights.

Im picking on the fact that people get all strung up, when someone mentions ripoffs. Yet in reality practically everythings a ripoff........

Name your fav SF/Fantasy cycle. Prolly a ripoff from somewhere.

Oh no it mentions dwarves......or elves, it isnt original.........

Basically announcing that the Imperium of mankind from 40k is a ripoff and complaining about that is just hypocritical, cause then you will have a bad time finding anything that is not a ripoff........

Lord David the Denied said:
Erm... No.

They're the Psi Corps' elite telepath fighter squadron, piloting spec-ops Aurora Starfuries. There are no special rules for them currently

I have seen in development rules for them though, and no before anyone asks I can't remember anything worth mentioning.

LBH

It would be cool if Bester rules show up...'roll to see if Bester can telepathically take over an enemy ship for a turn (n/a vs. Ancients)' or something like that.

But LBH you should have mentioned how totally cool the concept of it seemed........

And i would love some Bester rules.

And the Mothership, just so my Antitelepath Crusade fleet can take it apart.

There's some Psi rules in the EA 'other duties' table. From memory, +1 to opposed CQ rolls and +1 Initiative rolls. Which isn't that impressive really.
I'd suggest that Black Omega (and other Psi Corp ships) would probably be classed as CQ6(which combined with the rules change making all fighters CQ4 would make them pretty effective) and possibly enhanced dodge rules (Sinclair's Wing gets to re-roll dodges and gets a dodge roll against ANY attack including AF and E-Mines, so Black Omega's Teeps would be at least that good).

Of course, Black Omega pilots are supposed to be P12s so they may well get even higher bonuses as well as some scarier abilities.

As LBH mentioned, apparently there's some official rules and ships in the works.

lastbesthope said:
I have seen in development rules for them though, and no before anyone asks I can't remember anything worth mentioning.

Was this because a man (or woman) with black gloves stopped to talk to you on the way out and you suddenly forgot everything?

Balance said:
lastbesthope said:

Was this because a man (or woman) with black gloves stopped to talk to you on the way out and you suddenly forgot everything?

I don't rmember such an event, but then I wouldn't would I :?: :lol:

LBH

Back