Black Hawk Down...

Dorb

Mongoose
On my shopping trip this weekend looking for more Hummers, came across some Forces Of Valor stuff at a Toys-R-Us.
It's a US UH-60 Black Hawk 1:48 scale. A little (bird) on the Big side but I think it will work just fine. After all if the Width of the Mongoose tanks are ok, who am I to judge.

Chalk4 with Super Six-Four 2010

UH_4.jpg

UH_5.jpg

I forgot, here are couple members from Bravo Co. 3rd Battalion 75 Regiment guarding a couple of the 1:48 scale gunners taken captive from the UH60. (they have orders to shoot - these guys are at least 7' tall- Lol)

UH_1.jpg

Armchair_Marine said:
Looks just about right for BF EVO, it's the crewman who look oversized.
I was thinking the same thing.

It's a tad off, but still looks good.

Comparison scale pics:
http://www.nativethreads.com/nativepride/img/group-picture-airfield-800.jpg
http://www.main.org/troop30/copter3.jpg

You want Black Hawk Down? Check this out:

http://www.flagshipgames.com/mogadishu.htm

Uses the same chopper model too :D

Helstrom nice link.

I had to remove these door gunners cause they really made the scale look alot worse than what it was.

You can also add drop tanks and missles to this bird for other missions.

UH_13.jpg

UH_11.jpg

UH_8.jpg

Not bad for $35.00 - Pre-painted, Metal and working doors.

I have 2 of these for my TAG modern collection. they do look great. i have them mounted on 10" dowling glued to a CD , and a rather large washer glued to the CD for extra weight. I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom and glued a piece of brass rod in on a slight angle forward(so they lean forward and look uber cool), and then drilled a hole in the center of the dowling. that way i can take them off.

I just wish that they came with M275 Rocket pods for attachments.

ok. i have to ask,, what is dowling.. i'm looking for a clever and safe way to mount my choppers,(Hinds for 80s afghanistan.) been considering some kind of scratchbuilt acrylic stand, but i hear there.'s pretty much trouble sanding that

Dowling(could also be spelled Doweling, not sure) is a rod of wood. i used .... i think it's 3/8th" diameter dowling that i used. and the washer i used was a 7/8th" flat washer. the thing was a beast.

basically, to do what i did, you need:

1 AOL CD :D
1 7/8" washer
1 Length of dowling(is used a 10" length of 3/8")
some sheet plastic
a tub of woodfiller/polyfill.
some thin brass rod(min's about 1-2mm in diameters)

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Blackhawk, right about where i though the center of balance was. then i inserted a half inch piece of brass rod about half way and glued it.

Then i covered the hole in the center of the cd with a piece of sheet styrene. i made sure the plastic would fit in the center of the washer still, so the washer will glue flat. next, i glued the washer down. Then i glued the dowling down to the sheet styrene in the middle of the CD. to give the glue bond extra strength, i poured in some alumilite resin to fill the center of the washer around the dowling. you can easily do this with Pollyfil or woodfiller instead. then i used the woodfiller to cover the entire cd, texturing it, and concealing the washer. after it dries i paint it and sprinkle with flocking(in my cases it was 3 parts light brown and one part green, for an arid look) the flocking isn't enough to cover the actual cd in a layer, it's just enough so that you can tell there is some there.

I'll post a pic maybe next weekend. my helos and stands are at the local gaming club, and I'll be a way at a convention Friday and Saturday next week.

The stands work remarkably well. i have one with a washer and one without. they both work fine, although the weight of the washer makes me feel safer.

Steve

ah:) i have something similar for a Ork fightabomma in my gamingroom, never really trusted the thing even with the weight's i had on the CD
the dowel seemed very unsafe as it was largely unsupported,
but there were some good tip's for my new and improved flightstand in your post :D

Col_stone said:
ok. i have to ask,, what is dowling.. i'm looking for a clever and safe way to mount my choppers,(Hinds for 80s afghanistan.) been considering some kind of scratchbuilt acrylic stand, but i hear there.'s pretty much trouble sanding that

You could always go for a display stand for a model kit/mecha. There's a lot of good flying stands availible from Japan for surprisingly low costs.

I've been using a 1/72 HAP Tigre kit in recent Evo games, and while i've yet to mount it on a stand, I'm considering trying to attach it to a flying base from a Toynami 1/100 Macross VF-1 Valkyrie

I've got one that looks about this scale. I'll have to check what scale it actually is when I get home. I think it's 1/72, and not forces of valor. Where are you all finding stats for these? I picked up a few Humvee's with TOW's, but have no idea how to price them.

tiepilot1138 said:
I've got one that looks about this scale. I'll have to check what scale it actually is when I get home. I think it's 1/72, and not forces of valor. Where are you all finding stats for these? I picked up a few Humvee's with TOW's, but have no idea how to price them.

Pointwise? well they are very similar to the Shadows. TOW stats were Range 40" D10+2, and in the Humvee it would be single shot, once every 2 rounds or so.

the black hawk down battle report was very kool! im going to do that for a project in the future but im doing 28 mm and im useing iron ivan games close , seek and destroy rules . there based on the disposable heros ww2 rules . i like them a lot! a little more meat then bfevo. just and opion . bfevo looks good for large scale engagements.

That chopper is really awesome. To think, I was just at Toy R' US with my GF for a bit of nostalgia and to waste time, and I completely missed this model. Will be great for an airbase of some kind (great piece of terrain to fight over).

I was mistaken. Mine is actually 1/60th, made by "In Air" die cast models. It was $16 at a local shop. The scale seems pretty good compared to some of my marines. I've also got a 1/72 M1A2 and some 1/72 US Infantry by Revell of Germany (just base-coated at the moment). They are a bit small, but when based seem almost as big. They should do nicely until us americans can get a hold of some more of the real thing... I'd post pics, but don't have anyplace to host them.[/img]

Back