Big book little book

Dedthom

Mongoose
Hey all,
I am looking at the Conan RPG and noticed that the pocket book is considerable less expensive that the $50.00(!) core rule book. But the pocket book contains 80% less material. Is the difference in the material important? Do you lose alot by not buying the larger book? Why is the full size hard bound book so freaking expesive??
Thank you

The pocket edition doesn't have the REH essay "The Hyborian Age" which is a great read but can be found in a dozen other books. IIRC there is no other missing text.

What you are missing is all the beautiful, full-color illustrations. IIRC the pocket edition doesn't even have illustrations of the weapons/armor in the equipment chapter.

In my opinion the Pocket Edition is great if you are only a player or if you want a second book to pass around at the game table but if you plan to GM you probably want the full sized book for the graphics and maps.

Hope that helps.

By the way, the Pocket edition doesn't contain 80% less material than the Atlantean edition, it contains 20% less (or 80% of the contents of the big book).

I use the Atlantean Edition when I GM, and let the players use the Pocket Edition, which is working out fine. :)

Is the pocket version black and white or full colour as well as the hardcover atlantean edition?

I don't own it, but I thought the Pocket Edition also lacked the Bestiary and the Hyborian Gazeteer (?)
Those parts I would definitely want as a GM.

argo said:
The pocket edition doesn't have the REH essay "The Hyborian Age" which is a great read but can be found in a dozen other books. IIRC there is no other missing text.

There's a number of others things missing, as Trodax notes, but not essential for PC regular reference. The beastiary is useful for nature scholars and the gazeteer is useful for anyone to learn a bit more about the nations for figuring out what character to make, though.

Biggest difference to me is the lack of "Conan story out-takes" that help place the rules into the mythos and add the right flavor to the game. Without them it becomes just another rulebook.

Yogah of Yag said:
I just bought the AE in pdf at drivethrurpg.com for 34.97, IIRC.

Wow, I don't recall that being announced. I'd like to have it, but with the announced new edition, I don't think I'm interested in it at that price.

Most of the Mongoose's stuff is being made available as buyable .pdfs over at drivethru. Usualy it takes a month after the printed issue is available, books that had been already published are being put online every now and then, but aren't anounced most of the time. So it usualy is a good thing to check DriveThru every now and than for new Mongoose files.

Back